Hi all I'm looking to buy a camper soon also and will be looking for insurance but i have a question is a converted transporter still classed as a van for insurance purposes even if you are buying from a dealer/converter?

Hi all I'm looking to buy a camper soon also and will be looking for insurance but i have a question is a converted transporter still classed as a van for insurance purposes even if you are buying from a dealer/converter?
It's a motorcaravan if it has a full conversion.

The convertor should have sent off the V5 to DVLA to register the change in body type (to 'van with windows') and register the change in belted seats, if not you should do it as soon as you can.

In any case, for insurance purposes it is a motorcaravan.

Reactions: Bav
Just thought I'd share my first time van insurance info as a newbie to campervan life. Its likely already been discussed many times, but for what is worth, he's some info that hopefully will help others in similar situation.

I have only previously insured cars, so not had any issues, both me and wife covered fully comprehensive under wife's name with business use for her.

We have a VW T6.1 professionally converted.

After online and phone call searches that produced ridiculous prices, especially for a couple in our 50's with full no claims discount and over 25 yrs driving experience we were getting worried at the insurance costs moving forward.
These prices ranged from £1200 to £6000 per year.

In the end, our dealer gave us a list of half a dozen insurance companies that finally gave me a list of 4 companies to decide between.

You can get their details from Google if needed.
Please note, these quotes are specific to me and will vary from person to person as everyone has different information to input.

Adrian Flux - £1260 and insisted on a tracker, (the only one in contention that insisted on a tracker). At first, I thought this was not a contender, but upon reading their email, I read it as the cost of supply and fit of the tracker was included in the quote, it wasn't too clear if the 12 month subscription was included too. We are getting a tracker fitted anyway, so factoring this cost in, it was not a bad quote really.

LV insurance - £495

A Plan Thatcham - £395

Comfort Insurance - £356

We opted for comfort insurance as they were the cheapest but same cover as the others and great reviews, even on trust pilot.

The staff at both comfort and a plan Thatcham were amazing, after speaking to both companies, it didn't feel like they were just trying to sell me a policy, or even like talking to a robot die to doing quotes all day, they were both very friendly, professional and came across as wanting to help. I struggled to decide between the 2 companies but opted for comfort insurance purely due to slightly cheaper.

I hope this helps someone else who is new to this van life and worrying about decent insurance cover, it is out there.

Happy camping everyone.
Well thats scared the Hell out of me, Just ordered my van and paid my deposit, they have
Sourced a New Highline L.W.B and I was feeling quite pleased with myself until I joined and read the insurance bumf.
Can't believe they are taking folks eyes out for a VW campa, not exactly what you'd consider Hot wheels for the young crazy,s, I understand from a steal to Send abroad point of view but if you have a Tracker, good alarm, Kill switch and the Obligatory Stering Wheel lock surely you should be able to park your van and be sure its there when you get back.
I just think like everything else, it's another reason to Screw the Motorist.
Thanks for the insurance companies, I will tell you if they get me on the road in March.

It's a motorcaravan if it has a full conversion.

The convertor should have sent off the V5 to DVLA to register the change in body type (to 'van with windows') and register the change in belted seats, if not you should do it as soon as you can.

In any case, for insurance purposes it is a motorcaravan.
Screenshot_20231201_211208_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

There's a 50-odd page (closed) thread on this issue. My post essentially summarises it.

Have a search, get a cup of tea and a comfy seat, and start reading!

In any case, what I wrote stands.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Along with the thread on speed limits, the DVLA reclassification thread should be tagged #CanOfWorms #DoNotReopen

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
There's a 50-odd page (closed) thread on this issue. My post essentially summarises it.

Have a search, get a cup of tea and a comfy seat, and start reading!

In any case, what I wrote stands.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Sorry wasn't meaning to criticise your post, I just remember going onto the net and asking the Question before I decided to get a van conversion done or whether to do it myself, It was the comments from climbing van and a few others who said the law had changed and insurance companies may not pay out on claims if the van was not granted Campervan Approval by DVLA. that was why I only gave a snap shot from the climbing van site.

Thanks for the Welcome

Reactions: CAB
Sorry wasn't meaning to criticise your post, I just remember going onto the net and asking the Question before I decided to get a van conversion done or whether to do it myself, It was the comments from climbing van and a few others who said the law had changed and insurance companies may not pay out on claims if the van was not granted Campervan Approval by DVLA. that was why I only gave a snap shot from the climbing van site.

Thanks for the Welcome
No problem! Most insurance companies seem to have caught on to the changes by now, so shouldn't be a problem any more.

Hi everyone, I’ve just bought my first camper van, a 2016 2 berth white one. I’m picking it up tomorrow. Who do you use for insurance? Grateful for any recommendations. Thanks, Steve

Hi everyone, I’ve just bought my first camper van, a 2016 2 berth white one. I’m picking it up tomorrow. Who do you use for insurance? Grateful for any recommendations. Thanks, Steve
LV at the moment.

Best price in 2020 by far, and been reasonable on renewal.

Will wait and see what 2024 brings!

Back