Best diagnostics tool?

marsie

Sold up
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have just bought a 2017 t6 4motion to replace my 2007 t5 4motion and am considering a diagnostic tool. I come from a Landrover background (owner for many years and make my living with them) so I understand he importance of a decent diagnostic tool
Being fairly new to VW what would be the best one to get, don't want to spend thousands but don't mind paying for a decent tool that will get me out of the sh@ when necessary

I have seen VCDS, Carista etc. but have no idea which one would suit my needs best

Any advice most appreciated
Thanks
Paul:cool:

@mmi has a good angle on this and various tools. I bought a Carista based upon advice and took the 1 month subscription too see how I got on with it. It sorted a number of issues for me.

Thanks Mick, for that price I may give it a try. Had a similar one for landrover, called a IID tool, that cost about £450 and was locked to one vehicle but could do CCF programming, all system diagnostics and stuff that even landrovers tool couldn't do. Looks like carista is similar but a monthly subscription instead of a one off payment. Still a lot cheaper though

Thanks Mick, for that price I may give it a try. Had a similar one for landrover, called a IID tool, that cost about £450 and was locked to one vehicle but could do CCF programming, all system diagnostics and stuff that even landrovers tool couldn't do. Looks like carista is similar but a monthly subscription instead of a one off payment. Still a lot cheaper though
1st Month is free. By the end of that you'll know. But just be aware you can get a special 1 year rate on it but if you take their 1 month free offer you don't get it. App is in the apple and playstore

Carista is good for fault code reading and resets and making some (predefined) changes
For freedom to perform coding that isn’t limited you need to go into ODBeleven and for the full fat monitoring/measuring/coding you VCDS

Will give it a try for a month and see how I get on. Got a couple of faults to sort already so hopefully will be able to point me in the right direction with that (acc sometimes unavailable, and stop start system fault)
thanks everyone

Back