Best Compromise For Lowering And Comfort

nobbyq

T6 Pro
hi just bought an ocean and would like to rid the wallowing/boaty feel but don't want a trashy ride like on my last t6 with 40mm hr springs , not fussed about going too low and will be adding 18 " wheels , would arbs be enough ? thanks

Arbs make a massive difference on the California because of the top end weight of the van To properly get rid of the wallow a decent set of coilovers with arbs would be perfect and you can level the ride as well. Makes the Cali feel less arse heavy, as they are heavy.
On 18’s you’ll get the best ride possible because you’ve got plenty of sidewall on the tyres.

Personally I don’t think so but would certainly make a difference. No harm in trying them first then looking at the other suspension components, which is where I think you’ll end up.

would arbs on their own be enough ?

A R B on there own would be useless, they will help stop a bit of body roll but with out a good shock to control them their effect wouldn't be as good .

If you aren't looking for low go Sport shock with a mild spring drop , you will be the happiest camper . Coil overs do low and lower , you may find that set at their highest they ride ok but you will spend a lot more money and really dont get the benefit of what they are actually designed to do . GO LOWER

A sport shock helps body roll and stops pitch under braking which anti roll bars CANT do . Feel free to do anti roll bars last but these aren't track cars so i feel up rated anti roll bars shouldn't be at the top of the list .

I'm in the same camp as @BognorMotors here. I get where @CRS Performance is coming from but certainly I found with standard T32 suspension, the under rating of the shocks is very slight, with respect to controlling the torsion of the ARB. This was a post I added in another thread sometime ago. LWB shuttle conversion to a camper with a pop top roof....

Had the H&R ARBs on for three weeks now and had a chance to drive the van over various types of road.

Decided to fit them from a comfort point of view to reduce the tip you out your seat, 'standby to go about' lurch on the bends. Have to say they've come up trumps. On what's pretty much a permanently half loaded van, I would go so far as to say they've significantly reduced body roll with my standard T32 suspension. Generally, a much taughter feeling of turn in and overall a more enjoyable drive.

Can't comment on understeer/oversteer balance, as I've yet to make that kind of progress since they've been fitted. Well, that combined with valuing what's left of my current tyres and preservation of the on board crockery.

Two things I've also noticed. Firstly over uneven surfaces, the movement is a bit more up and down as opposed to side to side. This in my view is a good thing in terms of comfort. To be expected, as stiffer ARBs reduce the amount of independence the suspension has across each pair of wheels.

However, and its only a small thing that you have to tune into to notice, and its only with fine irregularities in the road surface. But there is what I would call a low amplitude, higher frequency resonance, through the steering wheel. It maybe due to the harder bushes. Or maybe the standard dampers being slightly underrated to deal with the energy stored, with the increased torsional rigidity of the roll bar. Especially when its added to the existing spring rate. Perhaps a little too much combined twang in the set up without uprating the shocks. It's the balance of compromises thing again.

Although, VW recommend 56 psi in the fronts with my Devonports, dropping the front tyre pressure SLIGHTLY, helps take this resonance out the steering. Although I'm not condoning such behaviour, before anyone kicks off. Just saying. I've played about with the pressure, purely in the name of donkey science and curiosity.

So would I fit them again? Well, wish I'd fitted them sooner.....

.....One day I'll probably end up with the Koni active dampers too, but the H&R ARB upgrade in standard suspension is well worth it. Atleast with a T32 standard set up.

Last edited:
Forgot to add, I run the Devonports in winter with a 215/60r 17 tyre. In summer however, I run 245/50r18 so can drop the tyre pressure down a bit. No issues with comfort.

Forgot to add, I run the Devonports in winter with a 215/60r 17 tyre. In summer however, I run 245/50r18 so can drop the tyre pressure down a bit. No issues with comfort.
Need to know what drop you have on the van before fitting Special actives they are not designed for certain drops . Properly adjusted Sport dampers might be a better choice with the ARB s etc

Need to know what drop you have on the van before fitting Special actives they are not designed for certain drops . Properly adjusted Sport dampers might be a better choice with the ARB s etc

Currently standard T32 shuttle ride height. Dont think I would go lower than a 40mm drop though.

Back