Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

I'll give you two - Autowatch Ghost and Stoplock Pro. The Stoplock is a visible deterrent and the Ghost ensures that they can't drive it away, even if they spend the 5 minutes that a Stoplock is supposed to take to crack. Some swear by pedal locks / covers which might be more secure than the Stoplock but are also virtually invisible until they have broken into the van. Don't forget that extra security is also a good idea when you're away from home (and not behind the bollard).

I'll give you two - Autowatch Ghost and Stoplock Pro. The Stoplock is a visible deterrent and the Ghost ensures that they can't drive it away, even if they spend the 5 minutes that a Stoplock is supposed to take to crack. Some swear by pedal locks / covers which might be more secure than the Stoplock but are also virtually invisible until they have broken into the van. Don't forget that extra security is also a good idea when you're away from home (and not behind the bollard).
Good advise Ayjay. Also look at your house locks and security. Anti snap locks only £50 to buy. You wouldn't believe how easy to snap double glazing door locks. Lock gates at night etc. VW they need to get the keys as they have a chip in them. If you have a steering lock place the key on a different ring to your van key. Its a pain but its all about adding layers. The more you have the more likely they will go else where. But you still need to enjoy your van.

So steering wheel lock for visual deterrent, no brainier, check.

They can’t steel the van without keys (unless they lift it which is pretty major) unless they can access the port so either block the port or get ghost II.

Do you really need a tracker as well? Seems a bit overkill and means yet another subscription tax!

Internal second alarm system in case they break in to steel stuff. A lot of sense. Just finding one that is good, doesn’t cost a fortune and doesn’t false alarm which I believe is a common issue with some of these things? (Certainly use to be).

Just looking at security for my van. Stoplock pro or disklok?? What size disklok for a startline basic steering wheel? Is small big enough?

So steering wheel lock for visual deterrent, no brainier, check.

They can’t steel the van without keys (unless they lift it which is pretty major) unless they can access the port so either block the port or get ghost II.

Do you really need a tracker as well? Seems a bit overkill and means yet another subscription tax!

Internal second alarm system in case they break in to steel stuff. A lot of sense. Just finding one that is good, doesn’t cost a fortune and doesn’t false alarm which I believe is a common issue with some of these things? (Certainly use to be).
Many insurers will insist on a tracker now and most still don’t recognise Ghost as an acceptable system.

So I went with MetaTrak S5 with deadlock. Best of both worlds, with an insurance approved tracker, as well as remote immobilisation from an app.

Key fob needs to be present with the vehicle key to start it. But if immobilised, even the key and fob present won’t let them start it. Have a stoplock pro too as a visual deterent just for good measure.

Won’t stop someone lifting/towing it, but that needs a whole lot more effort if they want to steal it. But then I’ll get an alert anyway as it’s moving without being started and it can be tracked/located with the tracker.

Many insurers will insist on a tracker now and most still don’t recognise Ghost as an acceptable system.

So I went with MetaTrak S5 with deadlock. Best of both worlds, with an insurance approved tracker, as well as remote immobilisation from an app.

Key fob needs to be present with the vehicle key to start it. But if immobilised, even the key and fob present won’t let them start it. Have a stoplock pro too as a visual deterent just for good measure.

Won’t stop someone lifting/towing it, but that needs a whole lot more effort if they want to steal it. But then I’ll get an alert anyway as it’s moving without being started and it can be tracked/located with the tracker.
How much is the metatrak s5?

How much is the metatrak s5?
I paid £429 (fitting inc) plus annual sub of £150 for first year. You can buy a 3 yr sub for £399 after that rather than an annual of £150. It’s also transferrable to another vehicle is you change vehicles later, which isn’t the case with some trackers.

Not the cheapest option, but I wanted the extra deadlock function for my own peace of mind. When I looked at some of the insurance premiums for those insurers who didn’t want a tracker, it became a no brainer.

Their S5 without deadlock is £299 plus annual sub.

Decent app with very good location tracking too so you can see exactly where it is. Also has some extra features that monitor journeys for driving habits, distance speed etc if want some entertainment to compare with the other half - guaranteed to stimulate some debate!

Beefed up our security a while ago, had the latest model nearly 8 years, he alerts us if anyone is within 50 ft of the house or bus and trust me, you wouldn't want to enter the house uninvited looking for the keys, costs about a fiver a week to run and can easily be transferred between vehicles, straightforward installation and removal, just open the door, oh yeah I've also got a basic subscription tracker
IMG_0589.jpg

On guard duty !!!!

IMG_0691.JPG

Last edited:

Some trackers detect if the van is being towed or lifted as well with out the engine running and contact you. Its just a mine field of anti theft items to fit. Just decide what suits you but you must do something to beef up security.

Some trackers detect if the van is being towed or lifted as well with out the engine running and contact you. Its just a mine field of anti theft items to fit. Just decide what suits you but you must do something to beef up security.
Yep, my Meta S5 has both these features as well. If either happen, they’ll proactively contact me to check if I know, or whether it’s me.

Beefed up our security a while ago, had the latest model nearly 8 years, he alerts us if anyone is within 50 ft of the house or bus and trust me, you wouldn't want to enter the house uninvited looking for the keys, costs about a fiver a week to run and can easily be transferred between vehicles, straightforward installation and removal, just open the door, oh yeah I've also got a basic subscription tracker
View attachment 123777
What a handsome chap,I’m sure the low life’s won’t think that though

This is a great thread.Had an attempted theft of my sportline Sunday night but the oem alarm scared them off but they had another transporter locally.
I did hear the alarm but stupidly ignored it as I thought it was bugs that had set it off as lots had got into the van after being in Norfolk on Sunday.‍
I also have another electronic device on the van which I won’t list so I need to get something visual.
Looked at getting a telescopic post in the drive but at the moment that’s way out of my budget.I think the Stoplock and maybe a wheel clamp might be the way to go.
Does anyone else use a wheel clamp,I know someone suggested the bulldog?

Last edited:
This is a great thread.Had an attempted theft of my sportline Sunday night but the oem alarm scared them off but they had another transporter locally.
I did hear the alarm but stupidly ignored it as I thought it was bugs that had set it off as lots had got into the van after being in Norfolk on Sunday.* ♂️
I also have another electronic device on the van which I won’t list so I need to get something visual.
Looked at getting a telescopic post in the drive but at the moment that’s way out of my budget.I think the Stoplock and maybe a wheel clamp might be the way to go.
Does anyone else use a wheel clamp,I know someone suggested the bulldog?
Have you discounted fitting a Ghost?

It turns out the other van stollen had it’s stewring lock snapped and towed away on a low loader.Sounds to me like a professional team which has got me very concerned.I’m guessing there’s not much you can do against this unless you have it chained to the floor.

It turns out the other van stollen had it’s stewring lock snapped and towed away on a low loader.Sounds to me like a professional team which has got me very concerned.I’m guessing there’s not much you can do against this unless you have it chained to the floor.
Needs to be blocked in to hinder that sort of theft.

That’s a bugger

A Pedal box lock with a bit of steering left on should cause them no end of problems putting it on a low loader.

Back