Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

A faraday box or bag is worth while (fairly cheap)
Apparently with a relay they can unlock the van if they get within range of the key even if they can’t start it!!!!!

A faraday box or bag is worth while (fairly cheap)
Apparently with a relay they can unlock the van if they get within range of the key even if they can’t start it!!!!!

True . . . But,

The T6 doesn't use the "keyless entry" system that is prone to a relay attack - thank god.

so a faraday box or bag wont help.

The T6 key does has an RF immobiliser chip that is activated by the key barrel, but is extremely low powered, and only reached a few inches. so again not a problem.

we have a faraday bag that we used for our Mazda car keys which has keyless entry etc . . . but decided to disable the system on the car as it was too much of a risk.

That’s a slight relief to hear as Iv been having sleepless nights!!!
Seems to be rife at the minute!!

Iv got a steering wheel lock on it
Need to get that immobiliser
Also a baseball bat at the front door

Any tips on rear compartment security
I think they’d need the key to drive off with it
But unlocking the back worries me
There’s a lot of kit in there?

If you’re that worried and it’s practical / possible, reverse up to a wall or garage door.

Step #5

stand alone alarm in the back ( ie panel van)

1 - move the OBD2 port - OBD2 port cable

2 - Steering wheel physical lock - Stoplock HG 149-00 Pro

3- 3rd party imobilizer - Immobiliser Upgrades

4- tracker - van tracker

5 - second alarm - remote car alarms

step 5 - second alarm. ( £40 - £500 ) - remote car alarms

fit a second alarm? sounds stupid righ? . . . well no, actually a lot of black box attacks rely on disabling the OEM alarm and immobilizer. if you have fitted a separate stand alone alarm then the theifs arent expecting it. so even is they get in, or steal your keys. and get to the obd port. or even replace the ECU they have to deal with you second alarm shouting at them.

you dont need to set it every time, maybe just a night or whenever you feel its needed. you can pick cheap ones up online from £40 and fit yourself.... you dont need to wire up all the bells and whistles.... just the basics.

as an example the vans come with an alarm that picks up the door switches, ultrasonic and siren etc from the CAN bus. so you can fit a stand alone microwave sensor alarm etc so it wont interfere with the OEM alarm. The below is an example. Clifford arrow 5.1, fit yourself and add a microwave sensor for £50, just 4 wires to connect up =]

94.jpg

So there we have it. my 5 point plan to make it more difficult for the scroats to nick your motor....

For just breaking into the rear no alarm is going to stop that you need physical locks, search Locks 4 Vans DEADlocks not slam locks, as theyre an extra bolt or hook in the door that is independant of the vans central locking. You can also get 'disk' type locks that sit on the surface, not the crappy rusty ones you generally see on bodge fits but nicer ones that dont use an extra padlock, search 'Viro 4222 van locks' and they come up. They would be harder to fit as theyre made to be universal so dont come with instructions like the Locks 4 Vans kits do. Stainless steel plates that go round the doors handles may not be pretty but can stop an easy and quick break in, Armaplate are probably best for these, the bolt thru type not just the stick on type.

Diskloks and pedal locks i believe are also a great deterrent, along with the Ghost sticker that can go in the window when you get one fitted. Anything you can do to make it noticebly harder to take the van is always a good thing. Something thats not really been mentioned too much is the physical security of where you keep the van key, either work or home buildings security, not just in a faraday bag. Not that these make an difference on non keyless/prox keys as the remotes signal can only be blocked/captured when you press a button. Cameras and alarms are great to see and alert you to whats happening but they dont stop it. High security locks on modern upvc or thick wooden doors are essential, anything less just isnt enough any more.

Another thing i'd like to mention is although its hard and takes a fair bit more effort than nicking say a Transit mk7 or a Custom, these vans can absolutely be taken without having the key, it will set off the vans alarm (if its got one) and takes time and expensive kit but it can be done.

Disklok and Ghost is what i use, along with L4V deadlocks. And decent locks on the house with an alarm, and many more small barriers in between, ie. a locked gate from the inside and extra sashjammers on the upvc windows.

That’s great advice, much appreciated
Maybe just paranoia after a few break in attempts
And the police just don’t seem interested
Certainly seems to be getting worse, van thefts or tools
Definitely worth the extra security
I have cctv and a ring doorbell which alerts my phone in the night
I also take the keys upstairs (as opposed to the polices advice of leaving behind the front door )
Just got to do what you can do
Thanks

I know people weren’t overly impressed with the idea but the pedal lock is in and fits really well! :thumbsup:View attachment 111026

Im all for any visual deterant and physical barrier

@DanPlumber i actually leave my keys downstairs easy to find myself, worst nightmare is waking to someone at the end of my bed. Id rather they found the van and golf key and took them, while theyrr realising that both have Ghosts i can be locking up again and grabbing the bat.

I think the ghost is definitely the way to go
And possible extra locks for rear compartment

Im all for any visual deterant

Me too, trouble with the pedal lock is, although it’s a very good anti theft device it’s not actually visible until the scrotes have already forced their way in.

Why weren’t people impressed

Basically as above, it’s not visible till they’re in.
That and the fact most people would probably keep the key for this on their van keys, in which case if they get your keys they’re away anyway...

Got the ghost and a tracker fitted to our's,But not put the stickers on the van as i was told it would give the scrotes something to go on.But if they brake in anyway it's expensive to fix!Also got a Stoplock pro and a ring door bell that is focused on the van!Can't do much more!To be honest if they want it ,they are going to get it....Just make it very hard for them!

You just have to add layers. Some visible and some hidden. Also make sure your house security is good. Lock gates, keys out of site. Decent door locks, anti snap. A lot of people don't realise how quick it is to snap a double glazed door lock. If you have older doors, upgrade your locks. its approx £50 for a lock. Cameras, alarms etc.

Some good advice and reads here. What do you think are the top 5 tips for van security. I'm going to be parking camper on the drive. I will be putting in a security bollard and also have cctv covering the area.

Back