Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

How about putting a hidden latching switch on the OBD port power wire?

How about putting a hidden latching switch on the OBD port power wire?
Most scanners and black box hacks are self powered and just need access to the canbus data lines.... so cutting the 12v feed wouldn't help in that scenario.

I’ve just ordered one of these... looks pretty good? Avoiding a steering wheel lock because I’ve just spent wayyy too much on a new wheel and don’t want to mark it:eek:

I’ve just ordered one of these... looks pretty good? Avoiding a steering wheel lock because I’ve just spent wayyy too much on a new wheel and don’t want to mark it:eek:
looks beefy . . =]

but they may have already smashed into the van before realising its got that fitted?

so 10/10 for effectiveness . . . but 0/10 for deterrent.

Cheaper option

looks beefy . . =]

but they may have already smashed into the van before realising its got that fitted?

so 10/10 for effectiveness . . . but 0/10 for deterrent.

Very true! It does come with a window sticker but I don’t know if this will just give them the opportunity to go away, research it and come back prepared :thumbsdown:

Very true! It does come with a window sticker but I don’t know if this will just give them the opportunity to go away, research it and come back prepared :thumbsdown:
Smart criminals don’t get caught because they go for the safe and easy options (there are plenty of them), going home to get power tools to remove a pedal lock is going to get them caught.
Your biggest nightmare is the really dim criminal as they won’t worry, unfortunately the State keeps letting them out of prison.

thing is with these vans . . .

atm you need to keys to steel them. (unless you lift them)

so general break in and theft of contents from the back of the van is one thing . . .

but to actually steel and drive off they need the keys. . .

these types of security measures stop them driving away with the van - which implies they already have the keys.

this is where the Ghost works really well. - and stoplock and , and, and.

so a deterant is important. . . . . as is keeping they keys safe.

if they steel the keys - then at this point these things will have an effect.

Have a cheaper alternative / suggestion.
Steel plastic covered cable with hoops at the end, sometimes seen where motorbikes are secured to trees etc. That sort of thing about 2 metres long. Thread the cable through a door handle and under the brake pedal, over to the second handle and then over the steering wheel, taking as much slack up as possible and with a pretty good padlock secure the 2 ends. Now when someone wants to open either front door, will set off the horn, and can't gain access to the front. Now, they must break into the rear, devaluing their intended resale. But also must carry a pretty heavy bar / wire / padlock cutter. The type that's about a metre long. Not many of those in your arse pocket. Very visible through the window, and would be a cheap deterrent at under £70.

Cheaper option
Don't really know what to say!:)

I thought about a 3 way plastic covered strop, put it across the seats to both passenger doors and the other leg going back to the sliding door.
Exit and entry through the tailgate.

if they steel the keys - then at this point these things will have an effect.
The problem is that I suspect a lot of people (inc. me) keep the keys to their Stoplocks etc. on the same keyring as their van keys. Mine aren't easy to get to without breaking into the house and making a lot of noise in the process but, just in case, I've got the Ghost as well. It also helps to live in a relatively quiet and low crime rate part of the country - no guarantees that the sh1theads aren't going to strike but way less chance than living in a city.

I bought one of these, it’s a good fit and does the job

Back