Battery Question?

utkan

I would like to install the second battery for the t6 2016 box car. (2016 t6 euro 5 engine 140 ps) My vehicle does not have a start stop feature. is my charging alternator normal or smart? 2. Can I connect the battery directly in parallel? (this is the first scenario)
my second question is; main battery 74 ah, instead of 90-95 ah agm battery damage if I install?
(Scenario 2)

If you just connect in parallel, the you will drain both.
You can use a VSR (voltage switched relay) to separate them when the the starter battery drops below a certain voltage, but in this scenario both batteries should be of the same type so the charging profile of the alternator matches.
If you go for a dc-dc charger, your leisure battery can be a different type and capacity.
There a few “how to / How I done it” topics on the forum to read up on.

I am a foreigner and it is not possible to read and understand the topics :)
1. My question; Is my alternator smart or normal?
2. My question; If my alternator is normal, can I connect the second battery of the same type in parallel? (without using any equipment).

very Thanks

We can’t tell you if your alternator is smart or not without actually seeing your van. Different countries will have different components fitted.

Putting a second battery directly in parallel is not advised. It might be ok if both batteries were identical in every way, and the same age, but still not advised.

Why do you want a second battery ?

Pete

I would like to install the second battery for the t6 2016 box car. (2016 t6 euro 5 engine 140 ps) My vehicle does not have a start stop feature. is my charging alternator normal or smart? 2. Can I connect the battery directly in parallel? (this is the first scenario)
my second question is; main battery 74 ah, instead of 90-95 ah agm battery damage if I install?
(Scenario 2)
Are you sure your van is not BlueMotion? I too have a T6 Euro5 140PS (2015) and mine is a smart alternator.
I’ve used a simple battery monitor and noticed the alternator puts out varying current whilst driving.
I would err on the side of caution and use a battery to battery charger. That way, your leisure battery does not have to match the van battery (my van battery is something like a 68Ah whilst the leisure battery is 110Ah).

@Loz answered this above.

To check if you have smart alternator, look at stater battery negative post for current shunt module.

It it has one it will most likely be smart as that module is part of the "energy management system"

looked at the negative pole of the battery is normal, there is no device. my vehicle is not bluemotion. and I am writing to you from Turkey. now; I don't want to install the 2nd battery. If my alternator is normal, do I have to install a normal battery? Can't I install agm batteries?

Post a couple of pics of your battery.

If you haven’t got start-stop then you most likely haven’t got the battery monitor (bit in the battery negative terminal) and a “smart” alternator (or one with a LIN BUS terminal) as they were used for monitoring battery levels for start-stop

The original exide 63 ah battery has been replaced with 74 ah varta for broken. in other words, my vehicle has a normal type of battery. (varta e38 74 ah)

If you haven’t got start-stop then you most likely haven’t got the battery monitor (bit in the battery negative terminal) and a “smart” alternator (or one with a LIN BUS terminal) as they were used for monitoring battery levels for start-stop

yes. I was finally able to express myself to you. it is nice to be able to communicate in different languages. :))

Do you think I should connect a second parallel battery? or should I replace an existing 74ah battery with 100 ah? (100 ah is enough for me. In the meantime, my vehicle had 180 ah alternator, said the service.)

If it is to power electrical items in the back of the van, then you are definitely better off installing a second battery just for that purpose, with a way of charging it such as solar or a DC-DC charger. Adding more capacity to your vehicle starter battery will reduce the risk that you run the starter battery down too much, but that risk will always be there.

Pete

Back