Battery died, battery upgrade and insulation jacket.

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
Hi all,

Its been minus 10c for the last week and the van has been sat outside not moving for the week. The starter battery was totally dead last night. With jump leads it took about 10 minutes connected to another vehicle before it would start.

As the original battery is 70aH and probably 5 years old I decided to upgrade to the 95aH battery. Here Varta is cheaper than bosch so a Varta G14 it is.

What have people done with the insulation jacket from the original battery as the replacement is bigger??

i think he is talking about this jacket . . . : https://www.t6forum.com/threads/battery-charging-main-battery-earth-point.10185/

1613327704656.png

which fit the standard 75ah battery . . . . but not the 95ah due to larger size . . .

im thinking not an issue in the south of England . .

but Minus 10 in switzerland !!! jeez.

this thread show the upgraded battery . . .

this is @Grim Reaper . . . (larger battery - jacket not re-used)

1613327856229.png

Last edited:
looks like one of these . .

Battery Protective Case Freeze Cover Insulating Jacket Cotton Box Heat Thermo Cloth Fit For VW

but would need to get the correct size . . . ?

1613328086394.png
1613328133960.png

Product description
Condition: 100% new
Color: Black
Material: Cotton Cloth
Size: As picture shows
MPN: 5N0915411E
Item included: 1 x Battery Protective Cover
Compatible With:
fit for VW BEETLE 2012-2017
fit for VW PASSAT 2011-2017
fit for VW GOLF 2013-2017
fit for VW SCIROCCO 2009-2017
fit for VW CC 2012-2017
fit for VW TOURAN 2011-2017
fit for VW SHARAN 2011-2016
fit for VW JETTA 2011-2017
fit for VW EOS 2011-2016
fit for VW TIGUAN 2012-2017
fit for Audi A3 / S3 2013-2017
fit for Seat LEON 2013-2017
fit for Skoda Octaiva 2013-2017
fit for Skoda Superb 2014-2017

here is another option . .

Battery bag Battery cover Thermal bag 65-75 Ah Battery protection 29 x 20 x 18.

1613328229824.png

another option . . .?

1613328313060.png

but they all seem small . . .?

i think he is talking about this jacket . . .

View attachment 103715

which fit the standard 75ah battery . . . . but not the 95ah due to larger size . . .

im thinking not an issue in the south of England . .

but Minus 10 in switzerland !!! jeez.

this thread show the upgraded battery . . .

this is @Grim Reaper . . . (larger battery - jacket not re-used)

View attachment 103719

Yep that's the one! Actually it was that thread where I saw the larger battery and lots of other great info such as the OBDELEVEN coding etc.

Edit: thanks for the links of the covers!

My original is 70 ah, will see what I can sort out or modify for the insulation jacket .

ok, , , what about this stuff from here?

cut out 4x sheets and stick them to the battery?

1613328795445.png

its this stuff . . .

12 PCS Car Sound Proofing Mat Vehicle Insulation Self Adhesive Closed Cell Foam Sheet Sound Deadening, 50cm X 30cm, Black

1613328833829.png

Has anyone put a temperature probe inside one of those insulating jackets and actually seen if they have any effect at all?
I reckon after 8 hours overnight at -4 you'll be hard pushed to detect any difference to the temperature outside the jacket.

ok, , , what about this stuff from here?

cut out 4x sheets and stick them to the battery?

View attachment 103728

its this stuff . . .

12 PCS Car Sound Proofing Mat Vehicle Insulation Self Adhesive Closed Cell Foam Sheet Sound Deadening, 50cm X 30cm, Black

View attachment 103729

The sump is covered in something very similar, I will stick some on.

For temps difference I can check as have some sensors at work.

Got a few pics of the stuff stuck to the sump?...

Is it a Switzerland spec van?

Does it come with the extra cold protection as standard?.....ie the sump cover stuff?....

What else has the van got that we don't get?... for extreme weather?

@mmi is in Finland .

It looks cold over there too.

Reactions: mmi
It's the heat that kills batteries - and that's what insulation jacket is for - to hold off the burst of engine heat in summertime. Lead acid batteries just love subfreezing temperatures.

insulated oil pans in addition to engine bottom cover.

Is it a Switzerland spec van?

Does it come with the extra cold protection as standard?.....ie the sump cover stuff?....

What else has the van got that we don't get?... for extreme weather?
Will get a pic tomorrow , its moulded and stuck to the sump. Prob about 12mm thick I think it appears to be standard fit in Europe.

I have a highline and it has the engine under guard and the coolant heater but you get that in UK as well. I'm sure @mmi would have the sump insulation as well being from the North.

Talking of differences i checked the limits for cam belt and 4 dealers all came back with 200,000kms or 10 years. Believe uk is 5 years? Wonder why the difference.

I'm sure @mmi would have the sump insulation as well being from the North.
Actually even in Finland the oil pan insulation has not been provided anymore from MY18 onwards. Fortunately it doesn't make big difference in oil temp on the road - I have kept eye on vans with and without oil pan insulation :geek:.
Certainly would keep engine oil warmer a bit longer when stopped. However, the bottom engine cover is a must.

So battery arrived today, be aware it is heavy at 26.5kgs.

Its goes in OK, needs some jiggling and I reused the original jacket, made the join in the furthest corner with high bond fabric tape.

20210216_090635.jpg

20210216_120525.jpg

You never stop learning reading this forum, I have never even thought about the effect of extreme cold on our vans.
I find it interesting how you have different problems depending on where you live.
Heat is the main thing that we have to consider where I am but I can see now that cold conditions cause other complications.
I find it fascinating when you post pictures of driving and your vans parked in snowy, icy weather.
I imagine I'd be pretty hopeless driving on icy roads.

Back