New Starter Battery dead already

Pau1GTI

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Guys, I've sold my van and just before I did this I decided to get the starter battery changed just for good measure.

The original battery was working fine before it was removed and it never drained much when sitting.

The spec of the new battery was slightly different and it was booked in to be coded in at a vw garage the week after the chap picked it up due to being busy.

However on the week running up to the coding the battery was dead reading 4.8 volts after sitting for only 2 days!!!

Could this be caused by the coding not being done yet....or a faulty new battery.

I'd of normally suspected a draw on the battery causing this but nothing has changed on the original leasure battery set up which is a victron DCDC charger. It's been working great for years.

The van could easily sit for 2 weeks with no issues. All that's been done is fit a new battery. Seems very odd. Any ideas chaps.

Thanks

Have you still got the known working old battery that you could swap and check - that would eliminate any new parasitic load/something left switched on? Otherwise my money would be on the new battery being dead ( not that uncommon) in which case presumably you could take it up with whomever sold it to you. Testing would mean charging it up and then using a proper load tester (like in a garage) to look at voltage drop.

Have you still got the known working old battery that you could swap and check - that would eliminate any new parasitic load/something left switched on? Otherwise my money would be on the new battery being dead ( not that uncommon) in which case presumably you could take it up with whomever sold it to you. Testing would mean charging it up and then using a proper load tester (like in a garage) to look at voltage drop.
Thanks....

Yeah I swapped back the original battery and all looks OK for now. Thanks for the feedback on the new battery. It looks to be the culprit but didn't know if they can be faulty.

The original battery could last a week if only started for ten mins on the drive then sit for a week again and start fine again. Granted if you let it sit for two weeks it would struggle and need a charge.

We've done wild camping for 3 days with the radio being on from time to time and the van started fine after that. So I'm puzzled if it turns out to have a parasitic draw as it's been the same setup for a few years. Hoping it's the new battery.

Thanks for the help so far.

Of fully charge the new battery on the bench, then fit in the van and retest

Of fully charge the new battery on the bench, then fit in the van and retest
Thanks I'll do that. It's sitting at only 4.8v though so might be cooked now no? What's you though process on chargeing it on the bench and re testing if you dont mind me asking? Would that not be the same as the van charging it? Excuse my lack of knowledge on this...

Cheers

I persevered for near on a year with my 'replacement' starter battery. Van needed boosted everytime. Did not seem to keep charge. It was only during service that it was suggested the battery should be under warranty. Phoned garage I got in..... Said yip issues with that type, would send back under warranty. Pleased to say replacement is far far better and replaced foc, no issues or questions asked. Only had to boost once! Was nice to get use of Noco GBX75 so much tho!

Thanks I'll do that. It's sitting at only 4.8v though so might be cooked now no? What's you though process on chargeing it on the bench and re testing if you dont mind me asking? Would that not be the same as the van charging it? Excuse my lack of knowledge on this...

Cheers
4.8v is dangerously low for a 12v starter battery.

And will prob have damaged cells at this point.

Bench charge...... A 10A charger will take 10 plus hours to charge, so a 12-24hr charge duration will be needed..... That's why it's not practical to charge on the van with the engine, it just takes too long.

Reactions: DXX
I persevered for near on a year with my 'replacement' starter battery. Van needed boosted everytime. Did not seem to keep charge. It was only during service that it was suggested the battery should be under warranty. Phoned garage I got in..... Said yip issues with that type, would send back under warranty. Pleased to say replacement is far far better and replaced foc, no issues or questions asked. Only had to boost once! Was nice to get use of Noco GBX75 so much tho!
The early MOL batteries had issues...... Looks like most have been swapped out now.

Most car garages have battery testers.... Eg Halfords will test your battery for free..... Or you can buy a battery tester your self.

Like this..

Screenshot_20231027_105346_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Back