Battery coding

Sprengarfjord

Swedish Member
Do i need to program anything to change battery in T6.1 2020?
The battery is 3 years old and lose the power pretty fast, almost down to 11,9V
So i need to change the battery to something better.

Ideally yes because the BCM tracks the battery health as part of the start stop.

The simplest swap is for a battery of the same capacity. You then just need to update the serial number value (just change a digit the value doesn't actually matter) to reset the battery health tracking.

If you change capacity you have to do a little more and update the battery code which may be on the battery or you can use an equivalent, this will tell the BCM about the new capacity so it knows what 80% charge is for the start stop.

I think all of Carista/OBDeleven/VCDS offer ways of setting the 2 values.

Folks also report that if you replace like for like capacity wise the BCM should self learn the new health over a few charging cycles, just your charging and start stop will not be optimal until it does so best to update the settings if you can, especially if you are trying to solve a charging issue.

More details on this thread

Thank you, I haven't checked yet but i havv Icarsoft CR MAX and I think i can fix it there.
Oil change interval was easy to reset with it. :)
Thank you for your answer.
The service shop said the battery doesn't have the power to charge 5 cellphones and have a navigator in the 12c-socket. Never heard that before?
Also I have the strongest generator from factory so I thought it would be enough?

If I recall the standard alternator on a 6.1 is 180A and the high one 250A. Given that the platform is designed to support a second battery in many factory options I don't see the sort of load you are putting on it being exceptional given many folks here run 30A and higher DC-DC battery chargers.

If extra wiring and sockets has been added to do that though it's worth checking that for any drain. USB sockets are active devices and will always have some drain so should ideally be switched.

I have run diagnostics on the car at my friend's place when he Calibrated the sensors, nothing unordinary was found. 2 months ago I run a diagnostic test and had 11 errors, but nothing linked to the 12V.
No extra wiring or special except 2 led flood lights in the front. Everything else is led in light. Love the LED head lights. :)
The only thing perhaps is that when we travel with caravan to Croatia, we use a 150watt inverter, and 4 wall socket chargers are used in the same time, and me and my wife use the Type-c in the front. We have no USB chargers in the car. maybe that's it?

If you are only using the inverter while travelling again that's not an exceptional load, though it would be one to be careful with if you were parked up.

Have you had any incidents where the battery has gone very flat, it doesn't take many of those to impact the life of a modern battery.

Back