Battery voltage 11.5v

Recently purchased a van and whilst getting dash cam fitted it had a free health check. They commented that the only issue was the battery was a bit low. Its had a good run out since then and my old VW connect app states that it is 11.5v no trouble starting so far and just wondering if this is a potential issue with the battery coming my way. I would be none the wiser if they hadn`t mentioned it.
No lights to indicate an alternator charging issue.
Reading up and comments seem to say battery is no good if under 12v and also being a T6 the van would need re coding if battery change needed due to stop / start tech etc

Is this anything to worry about before i potentially get stranded

seemed a bit slow to start but checked app today with engine running & now 14.6v so alternator obviously charging, think i just need to check with a multimeter as may be ok after all

Definitely test with a decent multimeter directly across the battery terminals. If it‘s dropped below 12.2v after being left for a few days then the battery is knackered, or something is drawing current.

Pete

Every 'new to me' used vehicle I have ever bought I have pretty soon felt the need for a new battery! My current 6.1 no exception! Have you used a multimeter to check that apps reading?
Certainly wouldn't hurt to pop a new higher rated battery in for peace of mind.
Yes it would help to code it but if you get Carista off the Amazon you'll do that no problem.
Carista is worth having to check on the health of the various electronic wizardry that can't be seen with eyes! And also essential to activate the needle sweep feature!
I suffered with starter battery anxiety and with a new battery I can just worry about other failings instead!
Enjoy the forum, and pay the membership, cheap as chips and so much extra info available for threepence a day! How do you spell threppance?

Every 'new to me' used vehicle I have ever bought I have pretty soon felt the need for a new battery! My current 6.1 no exception! Have you used a multimeter to check that apps reading?
Certainly wouldn't hurt to pop a new higher rated battery in for peace of mind.
Yes it would help to code it but if you get Carista off the Amazon you'll do that no problem.
Carista is worth having to check on the health of the various electronic wizardry that can't be seen with eyes! And also essential to activate the needle sweep feature!
I suffered with starter battery anxiety and with a new battery I can just worry about other failings instead!
Enjoy the forum, and pay the membership, cheap as chips and so much extra info available for threepence a day! How do you spell threppance?
:thumbsup: Is carista a good way to go, also seen comments about vcds. What's a good spec & brand of battery to look for

Carista is a good gentle introduction to the scary (for me) world of VCDS.
I put a Bosch 95Ah S5 A13 in mine and coded it with Carista. Physically I think the biggest you can put in, a bit of pokery jiggery but it goes in fine.
I used a spare battery and jump cables to keep all systems online while I did it, scare stories about losing radio codes etc. Quite a few folk on here using that particular Bosch. What battery is in yours at the moment?

Carista is a good gentle introduction to the scary (for me) world of VCDS.
I put a Bosch 95Ah S5 A13 in mine and coded it with Carista. Physically I think the biggest you can put in, a bit of pokery jiggery but it goes in fine.
I used a spare battery and jump cables to keep all systems online while I did it, scare stories about losing radio codes etc. Quite a few folk on here using that particular Bosch. What battery is in yours at the moment?
Might look at carista :thumbsup: £24.99 on amazon. Not sure what my battery is but was reading that method for change over the other day and seems a good was i dont know any codes for radio etc saves losing them

Might look at carista :thumbsup: £24.99 on amazon. Not sure what my battery is but was reading that method for change over the other day and seems a good was i dont know any codes for radio etc saves losing them
Bear in mind to get the best from Carista you need to sign up to a 30 day 'trial' £40 something which you can cancel before 30 days is up. I paid at 30 days, it is so useful. Being able to keep your eye on soot levels and getting the van to do a regeneration whenever you like is very useful. Once you have it, sign up for the Beta testing version, more toys on there. Oh, and have your bonnet open when it's plugged in to the obd port otherwise you don't get all the functionality.

Back