Barn Door Awning = Pack a shack report

Mud Digger

Retired Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All well it arrived for last weekends trip to try out... very pleased has room for 2 chairs and a table.
A great piece of kit nicely made and good fit made like a light weight tent and has a sewn in groundsheet it's sold as a changing / loo canopy and it states it's Not Waterproof but is shower proof and that it was ... it rained and drizzled all day Saturday and Yes it leaked from puddles on the roof and the back of van dripped in but does have mesh to help stop that but suckers on the roof and sides and roof channels it would

we brought it knowing this with no false statements which was nice.

i could of fitted it a little further out and i didt add guy ropes to the sides just 2 top corners comes with X roof poles and pegs and a couple of guy ropes but will change these to hiViz i ordered Vango king poles to make a sun shade but it rained ..

But the space was great for cooking out of out the wind a tad pricey £330 plus £20 for steel vango poles but i feel well worth it for the good amount of space it gave packs down fairly small and fitted ok with my spoiler

but there's not much else out there for barn doors it seems... very pleased with purchase Nick

awning 1.JPG

awning 2.JPG

Reactions: CAB
Good to know, thanks Nick. Been looking at these but not sure we'd get the use.

How far does it go back on the roof? Do you have a pop-top, and if so any issues with it attaching?

@CAB hi i dont have a pop top.. it takes a couple of mins to set up... it will get a ton of use for cooking out the wind and toilet tent in Emergencys 3 suckers on roof 2 suckers down each side and a strap each side that hooks onto the wheels this is what sets the distance of over hang / sleeve it was 1st time i used it i just hooked onto the doors and pulled it onto the roof before reading instructions like you do the doors can be opened After lol i could of brought it a little forward i will get a better pic but i would say about 18 inches has a mesh section under to stop bugs and van water drips through. The back of the van is inside the awning its light weight nylon fabric. light tent style reinforced corners its strong and nicely made.. will last a good few trips the roof suckers would stick to rear hinge pop top i'm sure left it in place over night just closed the doors would take it down in a storm but light wind was ok i liked it yes it puddled but we knew it would manufacturer dont claim it is so true and Honest will water proof stitching it might help a bit the slope at the rear is touching the arm of the back chair needed to move it in the table edge is off the tent where we cooked... well big enough i think for double lilo but if dry middle of roof dripped i ll bring it to forum-fest its good fit and quality i only had top corner guys added after the pic i didt use the 4 tags guys down the door sides would of pulled it tighter hope that helps Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
@CAB hi i dont have a pop top.. it takes a couple of mins to set up... it will get a ton of use for cooking out the wind and toilet tent in Emergencys 3 suckers on roof 2 suckers down each side and a strap each side that hooks onto the wheels this is what sets the distance of over hang / sleeve it was 1st time i used it i just hooked onto the doors and pulled it onto the roof before reading instructions like you do the doors can be opened After lol i could of brought it a little forward i will get a better pic but i would say about 18 inches has a mesh section under to stop bugs and van water drips through. The back of the van is inside the awning its light weight nylon fabric. light tent style reinforced corners its strong and nicely made.. will last a good few trips the roof suckers would stick to rear hinge pop top i'm sure left it in place over night just closed the doors would take it down in a storm but light wind was ok i liked it yes it puddled but we knew it would manufacturer dont claim it is so true and Honest will water proof stitching it might help a bit the slope at the rear is touching the arm of the back chair needed to move it in the table edge is off the tent where we cooked... well big enough i think for double lilo but if dry middle of roof dripped i ll bring it to forum-fest its good fit and quality i only had top corner guys added after the pic i didt use the 4 tags guys down the door sides would of pulled it tighter hope that helps Nick
Thanks Nick. Any pics of how it meets up with the sides and roof would be appreciated, whenever convenient.

You should put a link to this thread in the Awnings gallery

Hi All well it arrived for last weekends trip to try out... very pleased has room for 2 chairs and a table.
A great piece of kit nicely made and good fit made like a light weight tent and has a sewn in groundsheet it's sold as a changing / loo canopy and it states it's Not Waterproof but is shower proof and that it was ... it rained and drizzled all day Saturday and Yes it leaked from puddles on the roof and the back of van dripped in but does have mesh to help stop that but suckers on the roof and sides and roof channels it would

we brought it knowing this with no false statements which was nice.

i could of fitted it a little further out and i didt add guy ropes to the sides just 2 top corners comes with X roof poles and pegs and a couple of guy ropes but will change these to hiViz i ordered Vango king poles to make a sun shade but it rained ..

But the space was great for cooking out of out the wind a tad pricey £330 plus £20 for steel vango poles but i feel well worth it for the good amount of space it gave packs down fairly small and fitted ok with my spoiler

but there's not much else out there for barn doors it seems... very pleased with purchase Nick

View attachment 79497

View attachment 79498
@Malb09 this is fitted over my spoiler too but it's weather proof not waterproof i will seal up the stitching see if i can improve it

Back