B14 Komfort vs B14 (original)

TUV doesn’t have any significance in the UK, although if it’s good enough for the Germans then it’s probably good enough for us over here.

B14’s for Transporters in the UK won’t have a TUV rating because they have been modified by a third party and therefore won’t have been subjected to TUV testing.

As I always point out, 100’s, probably 1000’s of B14’s out on the road, and a relatively small percentage of unhappy customers who had them fitted and set up badly or a few sets with duff springs and/or shocks.

And yes there are alternatives these days that offer better value for money and handling, but that doesn’t make B14’s suddenly crap.

And yes there are alternatives these days that offer better value for money and handling, but that doesn’t make B14’s suddenly crap.

I didn’t say they were crap was just asking a question.
Some people seem to ask more questions about the safety of a bed. Which are not all suddenly crap because I don’t have what someone else has etc, etc, etc !

Just wondered why anyone would fit such important components to your very expensive van that didn’t have a TUV test cert. Just wondering. !

Both the Bilstein B14 and the B14 Komforts have TUV approval. Im not sure where this misinformation comes from?

I have all the detail on file for anyone that wants to see it

Both the Bilstein B14 and the B14 Komforts have TUV approval. Im not sure where this misinformation comes from?

But will the TUV classification mean anything after they've been modified over here? Not that I care, I'm happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate in getting another set.

But will the TUV classification mean anything after they've been modified over here? Not that I care, I'm happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate in getting another set.
In what way are they modified here in UK ? And you are correct if they were modified that would invalidate any possible TUV status. the bad design of the front spring would be an issue for TUV I would have thought . if a front spring broke there is no protection to stop the broken spring puncturing the front tyres ?..

Last edited:
Large diameter springs. Should have a large diameter supporting plate to stop broken springs coming into contact with the Tyre as per standard suspension. All proper height adjustable kits have small diameter springs to ensure the spring can’t get close the Tyre .

9B4C8CDD-CA6C-4278-A6C0-AEB3ECA54A34.jpeg

TUV approval to what standard exactly? I would take any claim of 'TUV approved' with a very large pinch of salt until you understand exactly that that claim means. Just remember that TUV were responsible for approving the PIP breast implants and look how that worked out.

Advice needed guys if possible. Im about to have the VB Air taken off my Van. Long story and lots of niggling issues but terrible ride on certain types of roads. My van is a T6.1 T32 LWB 4motion and i was looking to put the following on it instead

20inch Wheels
B14 or B14 Komfort
Anti Roll Bars

So im looking for advice on tyre choice and suspension. Is the B14 Komfort as good as the B14 in terms of handling ? Can you go as low ?
What tyres ? I was going to put on 35s but not sure

Any advise would be appreciatted ! Many thanks

Advice needed guys if possible. Im about to have the VB Air taken off my Van. Long story and lots of niggling issues but terrible ride on certain types of roads. My van is a T6.1 T32 LWB 4motion and i was looking to put the following on it instead

20inch Wheels
B14 or B14 Komfort
Anti Roll Bars

So im looking for advice on tyre choice and suspension. Is the B14 Komfort as good as the B14 in terms of handling ? Can you go as low ?
What tyres ? I was going to put on 35s but not sure

Any advise would be appreciatted ! Many thanks
Forget B14 of any variety.

nd
Thanks for the advise guys. Back to square one :rolleyes:
Ted You need to chat to us , everyone is correct stay away from the so called B14 kits , but you have a bigger issue which needs attention !
the VB air system needs serious modifications to the chassis to fit , It wont be straight forward to fit any kit after the removal of the VB air kit
VB air dont tell you about the damage they do to the chassis to fit the kit but its irreversible in reality unless you fancy welding in a new rear floor pan .
Look forward to hearing from you .

My van runs B14's and I have always been really impressed wioth the performance and the comfort that they give. Unfortunately I have also had issues with both the bearings in the rear shocks and laterly with a snapped front spring (which did rub on the tyre, but luckily I spotted it straight away!)

The face that the warranty is only two years is not very impressive and to be honest I would have expected them to last way longer than 3 years. When I fitted the bnew spring I also noticed that the adjusters are completely seized and there's no way I'd ever be able to adjust the height of the van again. I'll keep these on the van until they cause any more issues, but I will be talking to Steve at CRS when I replace them for sure.

Thanks @DaveF such a difference of opinion on here regards the B14 ! I have been in touch with Chris this afternoon and he is going to advise next week once we have spoken. Thank you !

My van runs B14's and I have always been really impressed wioth the performance and the comfort that they give. Unfortunately I have also had issues with both the bearings in the rear shocks and laterly with a snapped front spring (which did rub on the tyre, but luckily I spotted it straight away!)

The face that the warranty is only two years is not very impressive and to be honest I would have expected them to last way longer than 3 years. When I fitted the bnew spring I also noticed that the adjusters are completely seized and there's no way I'd ever be able to adjust the height of the van again. I'll keep these on the van until they cause any more issues, but I will be talking to Steve at CRS when I replace them for sure.
I know it's something else to buy.. but it's quite common for coilover threads to seize, as they fill with grit/crap from the road. Lots of suppliers sell 'coilover socks' which keep much of this dirt away from the spring/threads. For the B14, as they have such a large spring, I'm not sure if socks exist.

motorsport-tools.com/motorsport-parts/suspension/coilover-socks.html <- random example of a coilover sock

In the past I have used duct tape and wrapped it around the thread - that worked great also!

I know it's something else to buy.. but it's quite common for coilover threads to seize, as they fill with grit/crap from the road. Lots of suppliers sell 'coilover socks' which keep much of this dirt away from the spring/threads. For the B14, as they have such a large spring, I'm not sure if socks exist.

motorsport-tools.com/motorsport-parts/suspension/coilover-socks.html <- random example of a coilover sock

In the past I have used duct tape and wrapped it around the thread - that worked great also!
Good call...I wish I'd done that too (lesson learnt)

Given the sway of the thread I’ll add my experiences. Have had VERY expensive coilovers in the past that someone else had fitted dry (despite my requests). They wouldn’t budge after the intial settle in adjustment. (This was on a caddy)(twice…)

Have also put a TUV spring set up (on OEM shock/spring plate)thru a tyre, so I’d be cautious of denouncing any particular brand in this/these respects. This was on a T5. (Only once)

Have a set of B14 comforts. Super comfy ride - much smoother than the cars as it happens. Planning on getting some bilthamber wax on them this week, before the first salt of the season ravages them. #TopTip

Back