B14 Komfort vs B14 (original)

Hi @MikeRichards389

The Komforts are an excellent product. We fit and sell loads. Vanstyle are an excellent company and we deal with them.

As Chris has pointed out the other suspension to consider are the KW V1. We stock both these and the Komforts so can sell next day for you. DM me your contact details or call me and I’ll happily talk through options and put a deal together for you.

Oli

Last edited:
Still torn between Komforts and Koni Shocks/H&R springs. Only really want to lower 40 - 50mm

I cannot comment on the Koni because I haven't used them, but my B14s are 3 years old, done almost 100k in a very heavy T32 that gets driven hard every day up and down the UK and they've been faultless, and the van still drives as good as the day they were fitted 3 years ago. Mine aren't the Komforts, but i've driven one of @BognorMotors 6.1 on the Komfort suspension, that was around the height you want and it drove fantastic.
Needless to say, i'm a huge fan of Bilstein shocks and although the others might just be as good, i'm sticking with Bilstein as much as I can.

Last edited:
I cannot comment on the Koni because I haven't used them, but my B14s are 3 years old, done almost 100k in a very heavy T32 that gets driven hard every day up and down the UK and they've been faultless, and the van still drives as good as the day they were fitted 3 years ago. Mine aren't the Komforts, but i've driven one of @BognorMotors 6.1 on the Komfort suspension, that was around the height you want and it drove fantastic.
Needless to say, i'm a huge fan of Bilstein shocks and although the others might just be as good, i'm sticking with Bilstein as much as I can.

Agree, mine are 3 years old, frequently tow a 2 ton caravan and have also been faultless. Plus I like the handling when combined with arb’s, you can really push on a bit in the old bus :cool:

Still torn between Komforts and Koni Shocks/H&R springs. Only really want to lower 40 - 50mm
I've had the koni shocks fitted by Steve at CRS i had them fitted with my original 50mm H&R to start with. A lot better improvement over standard with lowering springs but a bit clunky. Anyway due to other reasons I've ended up lifting the van back up on to eibach 30mm springs usimg the same konis and the ride is exceptional and the clunkyness has also gone , I have a collegue who runs the bilstein b14's (not Komfort) and for day to day use i prefer my set up now but im not running as low as he his.

Another B14 fan here - my T32 has been on them for 2 years and they've been amazing. I've just had to replace the bushes in the rear shocks (they we working their way out) but you can buy the bushes and it was a relatively easy fit.

I don't have any problem with the quality of the Bilstein kits as a general rule. As you and some others know, I ran the original B14 myself for many miles and they were faultless and they understandably have a strong following. There are many, many people running Bilstein coil/sleeve over kits and they are very happy and run them without fault.

There are reasons why I prefer other kits to the newer B14 komforts. There are some technical reasons, one example of which is that I prefer the threaded adjustment to be part of the shock body itself rather than a separate sleeve over a standard shock body. That's not saying there's anything wrong with the Bilstein solution, it does serve it's purpose and does the job it was intended to do.

As for the ride, I've tried the B14 komforts myself and they are very good. I can't and won't criticise the ride quality, but having said that, it isn't any better, or worse, than some alternatives on the market.

My biggest problem with the B14 komforts is the price and that's the single biggest reason I don't sell them myself. Before I started my business I had an issue with the price and I still do.

Looking at it through the eyes of a customer, If you consider that the original B14s were/are something like £1100, SoLows (also by Bilstein as you know, but some might not) are £1350, but the B14 komforts are RRP at £1800, often available for £1700, but now £1400 at Vanstyle at least. There are deals to be had elsewhere too I'm sure, but I still don't like the pricing.

The B14 komfort isn't anything out of the ordinary when it comes to technology, it's a dual tube shock with shortened shafts and a height adjustable sleeve, so I can't see the development costs justifying the price. I said it when they were first released and I'll say it again now, I see it as profiteering. It's Bilstein cashing in on the popularity of the original B14 by grossly overcharging for their newer product. Some clever marketing helps, as does support from some big names in the transporter modification industry.

I doubt anyone who has the B14 komfort kit would complain about the ride, they are, as I have said already, very good, but for me personally I take issue with the pricing structure.

I've had the koni shocks fitted by Steve at CRS i had them fitted with my original 50mm H&R to start with. A lot better improvement over standard with lowering springs but a bit clunky. Anyway due to other reasons I've ended up lifting the van back up on to eibach 30mm springs usimg the same konis and the ride is exceptional and the clunkyness has also gone , I have a collegue who runs the bilstein b14's (not Komfort) and for day to day use i prefer my set up now but im not running as low as he his.

I’m thinking about selling my konis and cobra (only 4 months old) springs to go to Steve’s coilovers as I want lower. Must say I haven’t seen any clunky was on mine and it’s 50mm drop

that said I’ve upgraded my ARB bushes and rod ends

I’m thinking about selling my konis and cobra (only 4 months old) springs to go to Steve’s coilovers as I want lower. Must say I haven’t seen any clunky was on mine and it’s 50mm drop

that said I’ve upgraded my ARB bushes and rod ends

what chassis do you have ?

Hi there.
I’ve bought a 204 4motion Kombi van in the process of being converted but I’m not there so want some advice on the ride.
Bought the van from Leighton Vans and as part of their deal they fit their body kit and lowering springs.
I want to keep a “soft” rrahrer than a sporty ride as I’m doing a lot of long journeys mostly, so the salesman recommended upgrading to the B14 Komfort springs over their cheaper lowering coils.
I‘m sure this will be an improvement over their lowering springs but how will it ride and compare to the factory set up?
Whilst I like the stance of a slightly lowered van, a comfortable smooth and compliant ride is the most important thing.
The van is coming on the Leighton 20in wheels so already I’ve lost some rubber.
Has anyone driven a standard suspension on 20in wheels and then changed to a B14 Komfort coil over set up on 20in? how do they compare?
I know it’s a personal thing but can’t be there noW to check myself so have to rely on a comparison from others.
thanks

It will be a good move. LV’s standard springs are from cobra, and combined with a 20”
Wheel the ride can be harsh and unforgiving at times, as can all springs.

The Komforts is a great upgrade, and as long as you kept at a reasonable height the ride will be good. You won’t be able to go too low as they for oversize 275/40 normally - when you replace put a 265/40 on there. Will be spot on.

Last edited:
It will be a good move. Their standard springs are from LV cobra, and combined with a 20”
Wheel the ride can be harsh and unforgiving at times

The Komforts is a great upgrade, and as long as you kept at a reasonable height the ride will be good. You won’t be able to go too low as they for oversize 275/40 normally - when you replace put a 265/40 on there. Will be spot on.
Thanks.
i guess the original set up is not just too high but not good quality either so the Komfort will be an improvement.
i have also upgraded the tyres to the Uniroyal 5S as otherwise it was a budget tyre.
It’s a 275/40/20 tyre. Does that sound right?
Ill d9 the minimum lowering and most of all, I hope the Komfort is a forgiving ride!

Last edited:
You’d be better off with a 265/40 -20 but Leighton’s don’t fit this size.

Lots of people run the 275/40 and some prefer it but the 265 is the better fit for a T32 20”.

You’ll love the ride on the Komforts.

You’d be better off with a 265/40 -20 but Leighton’s don’t fit this size.

Lots of people run the 275/40 and some prefer it but the 265 is the better fit for a T32 20”.

You’ll love the ride on the Komforts.
Thanks.

Do I need to remind Leighton to realign afterwards? I read that’s important. I also read the B14 Komfort wasn’t available for 4Motion. I hope that’s not true.

i

Absolutely needs alignment - don’t let anyone tell you different . Chances are it’s out from the factory.

It’s a myth on the 4Motion, it’s not come from Bilstein. It works perfect on 2wd and 4wd.

Don’t know about B14 komfort, but a lot of money. I had my original B14’s removed due to the quality of the springs and poor crash happy ride and fitted the KW kit fitted by Steve at CRS Performance and the ride is comfy and far superior.

I love my B14’s, 3.5 trouble free years, not a squeak, rattle or knock ever. I also tow a 2000kg caravan every few weeks throughout the summer with no problems at all.

Some suspension dealers rely on the placebo effect and like to exaggerate the issues of opposing brands. Some dealers don’t fit suspension kits correctly, then another dealer will take the opportunity to rubbish what’s been fitted and then sell them something from their own stock.

I’m not LV’s biggest fan, but they must sell lorry loads of B14’s and Komforts, if there was an issue then I’m sure they would have found an alternative by now.

Just wondered why anyone would fit such important components to your very expensive van that didn’t have a TUV test cert. Just wondering. !

Back