Awning Gallery And Poll

Which Awning do you have

• Total voters
Nice setup. How is it attached to the roof?
Thanks!
In that photo I just used the storm straps over the top of the roof bars and pegged down on the other side, I bought the C channel awning rail from Lightning Leisure then had it powder coated matte black, that sits under the roof bars and the drive away strip then connects directly without the need to the straps. Takes a bit of trial and error to get the van in the right position but easy enough once you get it right.

Thanks!
In that photo I just used the storm straps over the top of the roof bars and pegged down on the other side, I bought the C channel awning rail from Lightning Leisure then had it powder coated matte black, that sits under the roof bars and the drive away strip then connects directly without the need to the straps. Takes a bit of trial and error to get the van in the right position but easy enough once you get it right.
That’s a great help. Thank you. Looks like a great awning though I’m on my own so perhaps too big?

That’s a great help. Thank you. Looks like a great awning though I’m on my own so perhaps too big?
Yeah it's definitely one for a family, plus a heavy lump for lifting about. They do a non-polycotton version of the same awning is worth looking at.

Just in case this is of help to anyone....had an overnight stop yesterday, overlooking Cambridgeshire on a very windy day and night....pitched the Debus polycotton awning/canopy in "half mode" with a modified ridge bar to support the mid section. It all held up well in even with strong gusts and made a useful shelter for sitting, cooking etc with some protection. We also added a poled windbreak at one end for a bit more privacy.

View attachment 82394

View attachment 82395
Hello! Have you got any more photos of this? I’m keen to have a simple shade like this for sun and rain but don’t want to drill anything into the van - and I can’t add anything on top because I regularly go into 2m car parks :)

yes it's pricey but the quality is fantastic.
used it a couple of times now and getting to know it better. easy to put up and with several options for attaching it to the van.
found it useful to have the front porch attached for when we have the dog as it makes the internal space much larger and enclosed.
if you want a lighter version, they do the non polycotton type, also a bit cheaper.

Vango Cove Low Drive Away Awning

Bought brand new last month and used for 2 nights - easy to put up etc and great to have a porch / canopy / covered area on the front - and good that the front faces the same direction as the van. We’ve realised we’re unlikely to use it much though so am going to sell it on!

View attachment 80717

Having looked at this entire thread this is the drive away awning that appeals the most to me. I like the front facing aspect of it and it's relatively compact. Useful thread overall - will add this to my list of pre-van arrival purchases, it's going to be a long 6 months!

Reactions: CAB
Having upgraded from a bell tent to T6 campervan, we struggled to find a good drive away awning as we found them a bit flimsy (we had a poled one which took a battering in strong winds and damaged the poles) and plasticy compared to what we were used to. We ended up getting a DubPod Roamer instead as it was from the same company that we bought our bell tent from which had served us very well in the past. We can also use our wood burning stove with it too in the colder months. Not badly priced either for the size and quality vs other drive away awnings.
View attachment 93881
I know this is from yonks ago but we bought a Roamer and just used it for the first time. I love it but looking at your photo we had similar issues trying to attach the flipping thing to our van. Did you manage it? Or has anyone reading this managed it?!

Reimo Palm Beach 3m with 2 side panels (one shown in photo) connected using a multirail on a LWB.
Some negatives: Side panels are longer than the height of the canopy so drag on the floor unless I angle the panels out. I wouldn't use it when there is any wind because there is a tendency for the canopy to lift away from the poles. The side panel shown gets in the way of the passenger door.

Purchased from www.thecampercoshop.com (currently £239.99)

I also have a Vango Kela III awning and will post a photo after the weekend if the trip away allows it. So far, I have only used it directly connected to the multirail which means that someone has to guide the Kador strip off and onto the van. Once I have initially pitched the awning, I mark the line of the off-side wheels with a guy rope on the ground ready to guide positioning the van onto the original spot for when I leave it.

I have a 3-piece figure-of-eight and separate Kador strip to try out which should make for a quicker get-away and mooring. However, I expect some leaks between the figure-of-eight strips if it rains.

View attachment 50613
I have A Reimo Palm Beach Fixed to a multirail too. I like it and I've never had any problem with it lifting in the wind. I've actually driven away from it a few times by getting someone to hold the end of the bead as I slowly move off and then just feed it back in when I return. I wanted to get a side panel but the price put me off. After trawling around the internet I came across a clear panel of roughly the right size with correct binding and eyes all round at only £30. I've put some velcro along the top of it and although it's wider than the side opening it works well when I take it round the pole and along the front for about eighteen inches. I'll take a picture next time I use it.

Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 01.53.22.png

I know this is from yonks ago but we bought a Roamer and just used it for the first time. I love it but looking at your photo we had similar issues trying to attach the flipping thing to our van. Did you manage it? Or has anyone reading this managed it?!
We haven’t had any particular issues attaching it to the van. What problems were you having? Looking back at the photo, ours probably sits a bit further from the van as we have a wind out awning on the side which we attach it to rather than an awning rail which would bring it in a bit closer.

So researching driveaway awnings for longer campsite trips. Our van should arrive spring 2022 and we’ve already specified a Fiamma wind out awning for short stops. But the idea of a driveaway appeals as an additional option for a wee bit more space. I‘ve narrowed it down to a couple of options. Typically travelling will be me and Mrs IB plus the dog. And occasionally the teenager will join us.

Vango Cove II Air Low - would attach to the rail on the Fiamma, decent space and front facing.

Vango Tailgate Airhub Low - would attach to the rear of the van, which presumably would allow us to also wind out the Fiamma on the side, which would be decent. Alternatively it can also attach to the side. So quite versatile. But would typical campsite pitch sizes be OK with the length of this attached to the rear?

Happy to hear from anyone with experiences or opinions on either of these options. Seems like I’d need to order soon to get one in time for spring.

So researching driveaway awnings for longer campsite trips. Our van should arrive spring 2022 and we’ve already specified a Fiamma wind out awning for short stops. But the idea of a driveaway appeals as an additional option for a wee bit more space. I‘ve narrowed it down to a couple of options. Typically travelling will be me and Mrs IB plus the dog. And occasionally the teenager will join us.

Vango Cove II Air Low - would attach to the rail on the Fiamma, decent space and front facing.

Vango Tailgate Airhub Low - would attach to the rear of the van, which presumably would allow us to also wind out the Fiamma on the side, which would be decent. Alternatively it can also attach to the side. So quite versatile. But would typical campsite pitch sizes be OK with the length of this attached to the rear?

Happy to hear from anyone with experiences or opinions on either of these options. Seems like I’d need to order soon to get one in time for spring.
We have the Vango Cove II Air Low and its brilliant. So easy to put up, and looks great (we really like the front facing aspect of it).

Loads of space, and 'relatively' small when packed away. Shop around though, we bought ours out of season and it was a really good price (plus a few extras thrown in as well). Ours is connected direct to a Reimo rail as no wind-out connected to our van, and this works very well :thumbsup:

We have the Vango Cove II Air Low and its brilliant. So easy to put up, and looks great (we really like the front facing aspect of it).

Loads of space, and 'relatively' small when packed away. Shop around though, we bought ours out of season and it was a really good price (plus a few extras thrown in as well). Ours is connected direct to a Reimo rail as no wind-out connected to our van, and this works very well :thumbsup:

Thanks, good input, the Cove II was our favourite and likely choice until I saw that Vango introduced the tailgate option quite recently, which is an intriguing option. Hence why I’m now deliberating. In terms of buying I discovered Attwoolls via web research, good review videos and advice on their website and they are only 30 minutes from us so will likely go take a look there as first option.

Decided that we will go for this. After a little more research the tailgate awning has a couple of issues that put us off - the fact that to go from awning to van requires walking outside again (which partly defeats the object) and the overall length of the van + awning which may not suit some pitches. So, side awning it is and Cove II Air Low it is. We’ll use the Fiamma wind out for short stops and the Cove for longer stops. Now to find it in stock and at the best price possible :)

Back