Start/stop making head unit restart

JamesDon

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody can assist with a frustrating intermittent fault!

I recently had a head unit (Pioneer) fitted which was then swapped to a Sony AX8150.
My T6 van has start/stop and this caused a problem with both head units, causing them to restart after the start/stop had done it's thing. Initially this was when I'd be at traffic lights for 20+ seconds but then it could happen even if the engine had shutoff for even a couple of seconds.

I reported this to the car audio shop and they fitted a voltage stabilizer which seemed to work for a week or so but now it seems to do it intermittently and is very frustrating!
It doesn't lose any memory or reset and luckily it does go back to whatever was on before but it can make life difficult when using Android Auto/Google maps.

I will be going back to them but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I think they are out of ideas!
Might a new engine battery help? Halfords said it's a good battery but the van does sometimes hesitate to start in a morning.

Last edited:
Have you got a CANBus adapter in your loom? I got mine from @Absolut5 and it is spot on. You'd probably know if you have if your head unit stays on until the key is removed from the ignition.

i was thinking:

have you got correct power feed for radio?
have you got a good ground feed for the radio?
have you got the correct CAN bus adapter to generate the IGN feed etc?

possible vans voltage stabilizer faulty?

+++++++++++++++++++

Have a work with our Trade members, they may be able to offer some advice . .

@Absolut5 & @Dav-Tec spring to mind

some pioneers tend to do this but they released a new interface around 18-24 months ago which stopped this happening.

I do not fit Sony so cannot really comment, but like to know the brand of the harness they used ..

also not a fan of added stabilisers , they can keep the radio live for a while after you pull the key

Not had this fault with the Sony's myself but I always use Connects2 interfaces etc. Also never had an issue with a connects2 voltage stabilizer run one on my Caddy on my Pioneer EVO64 and no issue.

Any info on what interface kit was fitted at all?

Sounds like a faulty stabilizer to be honest

TV
some pioneers tend to do this but they released a new interface around 18-24 months ago which stopped this happening.

I do not fit Sony so cannot really comment, but like to know the brand of the harness they used ..

also not a fan of added stabilisers , they can keep the radio live for a while after you pull the key
Thank you for the info!
It was a DA360 that was fitted but the Sony behaves exactly the same.
I'll find out the brand of harness that was used next week. Hopefully we won't need the added stabiliser if we can find the root of the problem!

Not had this fault with the Sony's myself but I always use Connects2 interfaces etc. Also never had an issue with a connects2 voltage stabilizer run one on my Caddy on my Pioneer EVO64 and no issue.

Any info on what interface kit was fitted at all?

Sounds like a faulty stabilizer to be honest
Im sure it was a Connects2 interface as I recall it being mentioned in a conversation. There have been a few issues along the way with them wiring it up incorrectly including the dimming wire so it didn't dim with the headlights.
I'll find out more information next week and reply on here if we can't sort it!
Thank you

@JamesDon Sounds like a wrong fitting kit. If they get the kit with multifuction steering wheel control retention you don't need to wire the illumination up the CANbus interface does it for you the only wire you need to wire in usually is speed pulse, handbrake and reverse trigger.

Something sounds wrong, the 360 is my go to unit for people who just want the basics I've fitted several to various trim levels of T6 and never had an issue.

It's either the fitting kit or an install fault by the sounds of it.

If there's no joy I'm only a couple of hours down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot wire it incorrectly, or it’s very hard to do as it’s mostly plug and play
Hi Jason, just for reference, the fitting kit you supplied for me (which works perfectly) was for the Sony AX5650, which is just one step down the product line from the OP’s but the same generation.

I recently had a head unit (Pioneer) fitted which was then swapped to a Sony AX8150.
My T6 van has start/stop and this caused a problem with both head units, causing them to restart after the start/stop had done it's thing. Initially this was when I'd be at traffic lights for 20+ seconds but then it could happen even if the engine had shutoff for even a couple of seconds.

I reported this to the car audio shop and they fitted a voltage stabilizer which seemed to work for a week or so but now it seems to do it intermittently and is very frustrating!
It doesn't lose any memory or reset and luckily it does go back to whatever was on before but it can make life difficult when using Android Auto/Google maps.

I will be going back to them but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I think they are out of ideas!
Might a new engine battery help? Halfords said it's a good battery but the van does sometimes hesitate to start in a morning.

Hi James. I've been thinking about fitting the Sony AXV-AX8150 head unit for a while. I cant figure from the thread if you found a universally accepted fix for the start/stop issue? Also, do you like the unit and did you keep the original mirror dab aerial or fit another? Also 2, did you fit a reversing camera and if so which and any good?
Thanks. Robert

Hi Robert
I would recommend the unit as the adjustable angle of the screen is really useful to reduce the glare. It's also pretty nice to use and is good value for money. The only downside is that it doesn't have wireless Android Auto/CarPlay.
I did sort the start/stop issue but only by fitting a module which connects to the button behind the dash and overrides/reverses it. So it's always turned off but pressing the button will turn it on.
The Sony unit wasn't to blame as I also had the problem with the Pioneer.
I did discover that I didn't have the proper Connects2 interface. It was a universal one which doesn't integrate quite as well.
I have a windscreen mounted DAB aerial as I believe the factory one can't be used with an aftermarket head unit.
I don't have a reversing camera, just the audible noise. I think if I had the correct interface then I'd get the proper display on the headunit when reversing (like the factory unit).

Thanks James - Really useful.
Just one other query if you don't mind - You say you fitted a dab aerial to the windscreen. Is your screen heated (maybe they all are??) and was/is shielding an issue? Guess not as you havnt mentioned it but I was advised by a fitter that it would or may be??
Thanks

Back