AT 235/55/18 - does the extra sidewall cause issues?

I was soo close to buying the general grabber AT’s but my last 3 months have seen 99% on road and 1% off road so that made me swing to the CC’s for my next tyre. I think the van would have looked better with the GG’s but I tried not to be shallow and think more of road handling and MPG. I have learned so much in the last 3 months reg tyres and wheels! I’ll definitely never go budget seen as your tyres are the only thing that connects us to the road!
I think one day I'll run a set of AT's again, probably the Pirelli Scorpion AT+; but it will not have been a "head" decision; & I will be prepared to sell them on quickly if they don't work out.

Hi, I've been reading loads of posts on here regarding wheels and tyres
I think I'm pretty much convinced to go for 235/55 18. I was just curious if anyone had any experience or thoughts on these tyres, they seem to get pretty decent reviews, but there's not alot if reviews.
My t6 is a 204 4motion.

I think I'm pretty much convinced to go for 235/55 18. I was just curious if anyone had any experience or thoughts on these tyres, they seem to get pretty decent reviews, but there's not alot if reviews.
My t6 is a 204 4motion.

I thought about these tyres, the only thing that put me off is that they are a summer tyre.

My t6 is a 204 4motion.

Avon have always had a good reputation, they are a subsidiary of Cooper Tires I understand.

So these are my thoughts. 235/55/18 suitable for all T6's, that aren't completely slammed.
All of the tyres below are M&S; 3pmsn All-seasons. Below for general UK driving:
If you are winter travelling in Nothern Europe think again.
If you are spending summertime in southern Europe think again.

- Michelin Cross Climate SUV (The SUV bit is important) The most road-biased, and are up to summer standards for a T6 van when you are booting it
- Nokian Weatherproof SUV - Are more than good enough for an average driver in summer, and better than some winter tyres in winter.
- General Grabber AT3 - If you are going off-road these tyres are more chip-resistant, and the best in the mud; probably the best in deep snow also

Thanks, I really do fancy those general grabber at3's. Think i'll try these over winter on alloys then maybe switch out in the spring. Maybe pug then on steels for next winter.

I'm going to order GG AT3's for my , soon to be finished and delivered, banded amaroks.
But now i notice this difference in the same size.

It seems you have two 'flavours'? anyone knows anything about this?

Update: when i look up the tyres on the dutch generaltyre website, they both show up, no clear indication of the differences.
When I look them up on the generaltyre.com website only the F and E show up.
Side note the better ones with the E and C rating are cheaper.
I'm a bit puzzeled.

1606727488020.png

Last edited:
It looks like different sizes have different EU ratings.
But the same size with different ratings? seems unlikely, as the load and speed rating are the same on both tyres.
I wonder if there is an historic difference. i.e. the tyres have been tested and classified at different times, and the tyre compound has been changed?, other than that no idea.

It looks like different sizes have different EU ratings.
But the same size with different ratings? seems unlikely, as the load and speed rating are the same on both tyres.
I wonder if there is an historic difference. i.e. the tyres have been tested and classified at different times, and the tyre compound has been changed?, other than that no idea.

it seems you're right, has to do with new compound

but the strange thing is that the new improved compound, seems cheaper in all the online shops i've seen.

just want to make sure that the tyres I order are the new compound offcourse ;-)

update! since the DOT code was from week 36 2020 , the compound was already the better one.
the labelling was still for the old compound. i just emailed with the manufacturer and the importer for belgium
;-)

update! since the DOT code was from week 36 2020 , the compound was already the better one.
the labelling was still for the old compound. i just emailed with the manufacturer and the importer for belgium
;-)
Look forward to a running report on the GG AT3's performance

Tyres are on! :cool:

What pressures are you all running on these tyres?

If I did my math correct, I divide the max psi by the max load weight of the tyre.

52psi / 900 kg (104H) = 0,0577777777777778 ps/kg

My california has a max axle weight of 1610 and 1575kg.

I take the 1610 kg and divide that by 2 and multiply it with 0,0577777777777778 ps/kg

This gives me roughly 46,5 psi (3.2 bar)

This is however for max. load, the cali itself as a whole is only rated for 3000kg max.
That would give me 750kg per wheel , if it's evenly distributed. And a corresponding pressure of 43 psi (3 bar)

Max pressure of the tyres is 52psi (3.5 bar) for a load rating of 900kg, I guess this would be to harsh?

IMG_20201214_205337.jpg

Tyres are on! :cool:

What pressures are you all running on these tyres?

If I did my math correct, I divide the max psi by the max load weight of the tyre.

52psi / 900 kg (104H) = 0,0577777777777778 ps/kg

My california has a max axle weight of 1610 and 1575kg.

I take the 1610 kg and divide that by 2 and multiply it with 0,0577777777777778 ps/kg

This gives me roughly 46,5 psi (3.2 bar)

This is however for max. load, the cali itself as a whole is only rated for 3000kg max.
That would give me 750kg per wheel , if it's evenly distributed. And a corresponding pressure of 43 psi (3 bar)

Max pressure of the tyres is 52psi (3.5 bar) for a load rating of 900kg, I guess this would be to harsh?

View attachment 95053
Not sure the low end of your equation/rational works........
Max Tyre Duty: 52psi ---> 900kg
Min Tyre Duty: say min pressure would be 30psi ----> would support say a 1200kg car = 300kg/wheel(ish)

so 52-30 =22psi supports 900-300=600kg Then.....1 extra psi supports 27 extra kgs within the the 300kg -- 900kg tyre load range & 30psi -- 52psi pressure range

so 805kgs (max axel load) needs (805-300)=505/27= 18.7psi+30psi= 48.7psi
or 750kgs (actual axel load) needs (750-300)=450/27= 16.7psi+ 30psi= 46.7psi

But to be honest I wouldn't trust the above rational at all because the target tyre pressure is based on empirical track testing as well as theoretical deductions I think, and tyre temperatures play a big part in this.

I just judge/measure the bulge in the bottom of the sidewalls and compare that pressure against the door jamb pressure sticker if my requirements fall outside the sticker.

This forum needs a real tyre engineer to talk us all through this correctly....... ;)

This post has been edited by me, because I f**ked up my first attempt......:sleep:

Last edited:
Not sure the low end of your equation/rational works........
Max Tyre Duty: 52psi ---> 900kg
Min Tyre Duty: say min pressure would be 30psi ----> would support say a 1200kg car = 300kg/wheel(ish)

so 52-30 =22psi supports 1200-300=900kg Then.....1 extra psi supports 41 extra kgs within the the 300kg--.1200kg tyre load range & 30psi -- 52psi pressure range

so 805kgs (max axel load) needs (805-300)=505/41= 12.3psi+30psi= 42.3psi
or 750kgs (actual axel load) needs (750-300)=450/41= 11psi+ 30psi= 41.0psi

But to be honest I wouldn't trust the above rational at all because the target tyre pressure is based on empirical track testing as well as theoretical deductions I think, and tyre temperatures play a big part in this.

I just judge/measure the bulge in the bottom of the sidewalls and compare that pressure against the door jamb pressure sticker if my requirements fall outside the sticker.

This forum needs a real tyre engineer to talk us all through this correctly....... ;)

."so 52-30 =22psi supports 1200-300=900kg Then.....1 extra psi supports 41 extra kgs within the the 300kg--.1200kg tyre load range & 30psi -- 52psi pressure range"

hmmmm......

Shouldn't that be 900-300=600kg and 27kg per psi?

."so 52-30 =22psi supports 1200-300=900kg Then.....1 extra psi supports 41 extra kgs within the the 300kg--.1200kg tyre load range & 30psi -- 52psi pressure range"

hmmmm......

Shouldn't that be 900-300=600kg and 27kg per psi?
yep, it should, that'll teach me to multi task.......

Update. Michelin cross climate 235 55 18s are on. There was a delay in the 1Form edition 2 wheel so I decided on the edition 1. So far the van is driving really well with these tyres. I was concerned about the dimensions and arch gap now that the van isn’t lowered anymore but I think it works ok.

6EFAF577-6EA3-4025-8E1E-D78E18E8CA8E.jpeg

Back