AT 235/55/18 - does the extra sidewall cause issues?

liaoyang

Hi does anyone run on 235/55 r18 instead of the usual 235/50 r18? Because they are 12.7mm more in diameter, I wonder if they look like swampies or whether the difference is not noticeable. I appreciate the speedo will under read by 3% but is the gearing noticeably higher? Cheers

Hi does anyone run on 235/55 r18 instead of the usual 235/50 r18? Because they are 12.7mm more in diameter, I wonder if they look like swampies or whether the difference is not noticeable. I appreciate the speedo will under read by 3% but is the gearing noticeably higher? Cheers
Hi
I don't run 235/55/18 but I do run 235/60/17 the same rolling radius. When my current tyres are warn out (Nokian weatherproofs), I'm fitting some 18" Amarok alloys with 235/55/18's (same tyres)
So having done 35k miles with 3% oversized tyres with a 204 BiTDI DSG 4mo., I have to say that yes I can tell a difference, but only when you floor the throttle waiting for it to change down. It's just a tad less urgent. But drivability wise it's fine. If you had a manual gear box, I think you would notice it less, as the change points are your decision.

The tyres look so much better imo, Its well worth it But you will need 25mm spacers all round if you are running VW Wheels to max the asthetics

Hi
I don't run 235/55/18 but I do run 235/60/17 the same rolling radius. When my current tyres are warn out (Nokian weatherproofs), I'm fitting some 18" Amarok alloys with 235/55/18's (same tyres)
So having done 35k miles with 3% oversized tyres with a 204 BiTDI DSG 4mo., I have to say that yes I can tell a difference, but only when you floor the throttle waiting for it to change down. It's just a tad less urgent. But drivability wise it's fine. If you had a manual gear box, I think you would notice it less, as the change points are your decision.

The tyres look so much better imo, Its well worth it But you will need 25mm spacers all round if you are running VW Wheels to max the asthetics
Thanks. Ours is 204 DSG. I might just go for the Nokians Weatherproofs in the correct size but they’re £45 more a corner than the General Snow Grabbers that I fancied that only come in the 55 profile on r18. Also worried that the extra 12mm will get the Cali too close for comfort to 2m barriers.

Thanks. Ours is 204 DSG. I might just go for the Nokians Weatherproofs in the correct size but they’re £45 more a corner than the General Snow Grabbers that I fancied that only come in the 55 profile on r18. Also worried that the extra 12mm will get the Cali too close for comfort to 2m barriers.
I cannot tell how much I've moved backwards and forwards re full winters v all-season tyres. For a Van/Vel/Cali, I think premium all-season are the answer; Particularly if you use the vehicle predominantly in the UK, driving around today its 12c with us, and if it were to rain, I've read so many people think winters can be very poor in these circumstances.

My Vel exec came with 20mm dynamic suspension (20mm lowered) so it starts out at 1950mm high; +13mm is still fine for me.

I cannot tell how much I've moved backwards and forwards re full winters v all-season tyres. For a Van/Vel/Cali, I think premium all-season are the answer; Particularly if you use the vehicle predominantly in the UK, driving around today its 12c with us, and if it were to rain, I've read so many people think winters can be very poor in these circumstances.

My Vel exec came with 20mm dynamic suspension (20mm lowered) so it starts out at 1950mm high; +13mm is still fine for me.
The Nokian weatherproof SUV 235/50/18 only have 101 load rating; thats no enough for a Cali I think.
the 235/55/18 have 104 which is fine for all T6's

The Nokian weatherproof SUV 235/50/18 only have 101 load rating; thats no enough for a Cali I think.
the 235/55/18 have 104 which is fine for all T6's

All Californias are based on the T30 and have a MGVW of 3,080 kg. The front and rear axles are rated to 1,620 & 1,575 kg respectively.

101 load index tyres are 825 kg (1650 kg per axle) so exceed the requirements. I agree that it makes sense to use as high rating as possible but anything over 101 on a T30 or Cali is not essential.

I'm erring towards 235/50 or 55 r18 Michelin Crossclimate as Blackcirlcles have £40 off 4 which brings them into Nokian price bracket.

Happy New Year.

My mistake, I thought the Cali's had slightly higher rear axel (max) loads; although I guess you could easily accidentally overload the rear axel; in which case a bit of extra capacity would only help.

I have a set of Michelins CC SUV on order from my volvo xc40 245/45/20's (standard size for my xc40); they are expensive in that size; but I think they're my best bet.
Think i will stick with Nokians on the van; we'll see.

Here you go mate. 235/55/18 General Grabber AT3s on a 204 T32 DSG

Here we are ...235/55/18 General Grabber AT3s on a 204 T32 DSGIMG_5595.JPG

Thanks mate but yours are 255/45 r18 which are the size VW usually fit to r18 alloys and are the correct diameter. The ones I wanted were narrower and 14.5mm more diameter. Your wheels look like Assassins: v nice had those on my T5 kombi :thumbsup:
Yes they are cheers

Here we are ...235/55/18 General Grabber AT3s on a 204 T32 DSGView attachment 34608
I go away a fair bit and come across all sorts of terrain.
Mainly rough gravel roads although I did get caught in snowy conditions and slushy mud roads a couple of weeks back.
Currently running the standard 255/45r18 HWY tread, and got through okay but I’m after something more substantial for going bush.
I’m considering going the 235/55r18 Grabbers on my 2010 T5. 6 speed Manual but NOT 4 Motion.
I know the Grabbers have a larger diameter And was wondering if you have had any problems with traction control.
I’ve read conflicting reports on changing rolling diameters affecting the traction control.
I would think it wouldn’t affect it due to all wheels having the same rolling diameter...but need to make sure.
Looking forward to your reply.

G'Day Cobber!
I simply wouldnt change my choice of tyre.....they have travelled on Spanish motorways at 90mph for hours on end...in 45 degrees heat, i travel rough tracks pulling a 2 ton trailer, over wet grass fields with the same trailer and they never stopped with 3ft of snow this winter. The last set lasted 30k before i sold them with at least another 5k left on them.
I have never had a problem with traction or traction control (as i know to).
Im sure you are right if all 4 wheels have the same rolling diameter.
Cheers Bud.

Calis are just 5mm under 2m and I didn't want to risk any higher for car parks and European motorways, so eventually went with 4 x Michelin CrossClimate 235/50 R18 V (which are the same as the original diameter) and got a cheap set of 18" ATS Temperament alloys from Wheelbase and ran them until spring. Now back on the factory 17" Cascavels until early November. We covered 4,000 miles on the CrossClimates as far as Budapest and they wore and handled very well, though we didn't encounter any snow. Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited:
My mistake, I thought the Cali's had slightly higher rear axel (max) loads; although I guess you could easily accidentally overload the rear axel; in which case a bit of extra capacity would only help.

I have a set of Michelins CC SUV on order from my volvo xc40 245/45/20's (standard size for my xc40); they are expensive in that size; but I think they're my best bet.
Think i will stick with Nokians on the van; we'll see.
Hi Chris, I appreciate this is an old thread but I’ve just ordered x4 235 55 18 Michelin cross climates for my T6. Wondered how you found them?

Hi Chris, I appreciate this is an old thread but I’ve just ordered x4 235 55 18 Michelin cross climates for my T6. Wondered how you found them?

I believe that Loz also has high regards for Michelin Cross Climates. I am not sure what size he ran though.

Back