Team Red
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I am trying to fit some new seat covers
IMG_20190706_162311.jpg
and the arm rests need to be removed.
I can see the bolt but it's not a torq
Is it a star?
So the real question is which tool and size do I need? When I looked on Amazon and Harry Halfords they all look like torq bits which just spin inside
Thanks

Ok a bit more research
So is it a Spline Bit I need?
Just what size?

Not sure what size, the Halfords set of 6 covers all l have needed so far, including armrests. I would get a set if l were you. VW like to mix n match heads when it comes to fixings!

I ended up having to buy one to specifically do this job, none of mine were long enough to reach into the bolt head, I'm 99.9% sure it was a 10mm, will check later and post you up a pic. Are taking the covers off the armrests as well, if you are let me know as it took me ages to work out how these come apart.

:thumbsdown: bought a spline set....and rounded off the bolt grrrrr what now

Did you have the spline right in the bolt head? It may have lock-tight on the thread. You could put it in and give it a few taps with a hammer to make sure it's right in and try again. Failing that, you could try hammering in a torx or Allen socket and try to turn it. Don't be shy with the hammer though as it will need a good wack.
Failing that, drill it out and remove armrest then mole grips on the thread to unscrew.
Good luck.

Wow that was hard work
So drilled off the head
Then molegrips wouldn't budge
Then heat to melt glue
Molegrips budged a little
More heat
Twist
Heat
Twist
Heat
Turned
Loose
Off

Is it just me or are these splines made of cheese - second time of removing the seat belt ones on the B pillar and they are knackered! ( correct 10mm bit used)

Anyone know how to get covers off arm rests to tighten the arm rest .. it’s come loose a bit due to rotating double swivel catching in travel rotation.. not obvious how the plastic swivel cover is removed to access fixing underneath

Anyone know how to get covers off arm rests to tighten the arm rest .. it’s come loose a bit due to rotating double swivel catching in travel rotation.. not obvious how the plastic swivel cover is removed to access fixing underneath

Back