[GUIDE] Removing armrest covers for cleaning

Ricardo T

Now or Never
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Afternoon lads and lasses...does anyone know if its possible to remove the armrest covers for washing/cleaning (or part thereof). One in particular is filthy from the previous owner and I think its time for a clean.
Thankyou in advance.

Afternoon lads and lasses...does anyone know if its possible to remove the armrest covers for washing/cleaning (or part thereof). One in particular is filthy from the previous owner and I think its time for a clean.
Thankyou in advance.
They can definitely be removed and replaced but it's a bit fiddly. I watched my local trimmer replace mine when he did the seats. Unbolted armrests and carefully unclipped the covers. They are fixed underneath with metal clips.

Thanks @mrpadders....ill have another look, didn't want to force anything in case of breakages. I may just take the armrest off and wash the fabric with it still attached.:)

It’s not a hard job at all. Once you get them apart the covers are just stretched over a series of prongs. Dead easy to remove, run through the washing machine and put back together.

It’s not a hard job at all. Once you get them apart the covers are just stretched over a series of prongs. Dead easy to remove, run through the washing machine and put back together.
Thanks @StueyStuey ...is it just a question of prising the fabric section off the lower plastic moulded section with a screwdriver? As already mentioned, dont want to break anything.:rolleyes:

Pull off the cover for the connection to the seat. You’ll need a long spline type driver, M10 from memory to unbolt the armrest. Once off you’ll need to disassemble the roller adjuster mechanism. It’s pretty intuitive after that.

Well, since I have one to hand...

PXL_20210628_135825561.MP.jpg
Prise off the cap from underneath, working round the back until it comes free.
PXL_20210628_135919400.jpg
Unbolt from the seat.
PXL_20210628_140006574.jpgUse the height adjustment roller with your thumb to release the adjustment rod. Keep unwinding until the rod drops out.
PXL_20210628_140024377.jpg
Remove the roller and unscrew the torx screw
PXL_20210628_140042677.jpg
The armrest cushion slides forward and up
PXL_20210628_140257263.jpg
To remove the cover, or refit as here, carefully lever each slit over the respective arrow. The cover slits are not hemmed, so don't pull hard as the fabric will rip.
PXL_20210628_140644818.jpg
Reverse steps to fit back on the seat

It would be a good opportunity to fit a plastic thrust washer on the adjuster barrel to stop the rattle in the raised position.
Or maybe stick some felt behind the barrel where it can’t be seen.

It would be a good opportunity to fit a plastic thrust washer on the adjuster barrel to stop the rattle in the raised position.
Interesting, mine doesn't rattle...

I agree, I might do just that to mine as the rattle drives me bonkers. I’ve been thinking of a way to tackle it, this thread has been very helpful.

Well, since I have one to hand...

View attachment 121488
Prise off the cap from underneath, working round the back until it comes free.
View attachment 121489
Unbolt from the seat.
View attachment 121490Use the height adjustment roller with your thumb to release the adjustment rod. Keep unwinding until the rod drops out.
View attachment 121491
Remove the roller and unscrew the torx screw
View attachment 121492
The armrest cushion slides forward and up
View attachment 121493
To remove the cover, or refit as here, carefully lever each slit over the respective arrow. The cover slits are not hemmed, so don't pull hard as the fabric will rip.
View attachment 121494
Reverse steps to fit back on the seat
Awesome, thank you so much @Andysmee, super helpful! :thumbsup:

Back