Any idea why this has happened?

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
I parked the camper up in my garage 10 months ago and only just took it back out today. Whilst parked up there has been some sort of reaction on my alloys. The weird thing is it seems to be below the clear coat as it still feels smooth and doesn’t wash off.

Any idea how this could have happened? Road salt maybe? (I parked the van up dirty)

Cant believe I need to get 4 wheels refurbed!!

13DA9AFD-ED2D-4D77-A9A6-57997D59CC60.jpeg

7237CF1C-694C-447D-B95A-4A19F87D4495.jpeg

White worm, salt on the road will cause this. You’ll be refurbish them every year. Best get them powder coated and forget about the diamond cut.

Weird. I’ve got diamond cut on my car and also on my last 2 cars and never had this. Do you think it’s cos I garaged it dirty for so long it’s had time to react?

Weird. I’ve got diamond cut on my car and also on my last 2 cars and never had this. Do you think it’s cos I garaged it dirty for so long it’s had time to react?
Yes, putting it away dirty hasn’t helped you, it’s enabled any salt to work its way under the lacquer and cause that damage. Did you tend to keep your other cars cleaner?

Also, not all polished/diamond cut wheels are created equal. I had some OEM ones on Audi that lasted really well, but the ones on my Mondeo ST years ago were shocking.

My Mk5 gti wheels were like that after 5 months, the replacements needed replacing after 9 months and they were starting to go at the 2yr mark when I sold it. I swore I’d never have diamond cuts again, see the same happening on people’s cars every day.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info guys. Decision time now, refurbed back to the way they were or powder coat black. I really like the look of these wheels though so not sure if I’d actually like them all black

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info guys. Decision time now, refurbed back to the way they were or powder coat black. I really like the look of these wheels though so not sure if I’d actually like them all black
What about having the faces done in a high power silver or chrome silver and leave the rest black? That would get you almost the same look, but would be harder wearing.

Good shout @ChrisR . My powder coating knowledge is zero, I thought it had to be all one colour. I’ll find somewhere local and go and have a chat with them

Diamond cut wheels are the work of the devil :devil::devil::devil:
Never again!!

Glad I came across this. Only this morning I noticed a few similar small marks on my wheels. In my mind I put it down to stone chips. Great idea to powder coat in 2 tone

Yeah my tsw Silverstone are going the same way after 3 years. Will get round to getting them powder coated one day.

Back