Mysterious graunching from steering wheel

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Why would repairing this cause graunching noises from the steering wheel?
6EA00444-0486-4EB2-A89F-0C34A35544B3.jpeg

Weirdly after VW Dealer replaced my entire DSG gear selector today, I picked up my van and there was a loud clicking from the steering wheel when rotated. This was only noticeable when spinning wheel when parking, as wheel needed rotating more that 360 degrees for the noise to feature. I therefore didn't notice until I got home!

So, I had driven 20 miles home from the dealer and called them. They told me to bring it back which I did.
Just outside the Dealer, I was stuck at traffic lights, so I spun the wheel whilst I was in the stopped queue to check the status of the graunchy, clicking noise. Sure enough the noise was still present.

Five minutes later, I parked and the dealer took a look and the noise is not there!......Gone! What the heck happened? I've now driven it two separate 20 mile journeys since and it remains fine. I am baffled as to what happened?

Most likely the steering wheel cowl (2 pieces) was not clipped back properly.

They would have had to remove it to get the dash panels off to get to the DSG selecter.

Most likely the steering wheel cowl (2 pieces) was not clipped back properly.

They would have had to remove it to get the dash panels off to get to the DSG selecter.
They were adamant that they hadn't worked anywhere other that the immediate area around the DSG selector! You'd think they'd just tell me if they had the steering cowl off!

Funny how they fix it though

Back