Any builders in here for a bit of advice?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
Before I make a fool of myself getting some builders out to price up this work, I want to know if it's actually possible.

Since owning a LWB van, I haven't been able to put my van in the garage. It fits i height wise, but it's about a foot too long, so the garage door won't close.
If you look at the weird design of my house, I want to know if I can extend the garage forward, and how it would be done?

Any advice appreciated, because I cannot seem to find any images or solutions to carry out this job.

20200619_145210-COLLAGE.jpg

can you not just knock the rear wall (of the garage) through?!

:D

ps. apologies for being of no help at all.

I’m no builder but like problem solving.

If you carry on with the line of the roof you loose door height. The way around this is to bolt some joists to the existing roof timbers and alter the angle of the roof. Something like this...

Two possible issues - roofs have to have a certain fall on them to clear rainwater. Secondly is planning permission and building line - there may be restrictions.

3C1A365F-3431-4ED2-B736-464E8124FAA2.jpeg

can you not just knock the rear wall (of the garage) through?!
ps. apologies for being of no help at all.

I actually looked at that, but shrinking the size of my utility and downstairs loo, to fit my van in, might not go down too well with the wife.

@Paynewright that design is way too involved. Basically that long roof is also my attic storage, which is fully boarded out and very full.

@RedUn I need to get one of the Mini's in there too,

firstly check with your local planning department the building line might be a problem stopping you going any further out if you have a decent building inspector for your area he might come out a discuss options with you FOC always involve them doing it with out permission or building notice soon gets their backs up

firstly check with your local planning department the building line might be a problem stopping you going any further out if you have a decent building inspector for your area he might come out a discuss options with you FOC always involve them doing it with out permission or building notice soon gets their backs up

I did read that on the Gov website, but it's unclear on my build boundary as my frontage is pretty big.

I actually looked at that, but shrinking the size of my utility and downstairs loo, to fit my van in, might not go down too well with the wife.

@Paynewright that design is way too involved. Basically that long roof is also my attic storage, which is fully boarded out and very full.

@RedUn I need to get one of the Mini's in there too,

It could all be done from above and not impinge on storage space.

Another alternative is a flat roof section at the front. Not a big fan of flat roofs as they have a tendency to leak - that said modern rubber materials laid in a single piece are far superior to bitumen roofs of old!

Ian

It could all be done from above and not impinge on storage space.

Another alternative is a flat roof section at the front. Not a big fan of flat roofs as they have a tendency to leak - that said modern rubber materials laid in a single piece are far superior to bitumen roofs of old!

Ian

A short flat roof was the only solution I could come up with too, but I did wonder if there was another way.
Saying that, the garage door is so recessed into the garage, that I might only need something coming out 6" it's just doing that and making it look nice and not like a bolted on extension.

this is a terrible drawing my dog did it and viewed from above the orange line your existing brickwork black the existing door green viewed from front 13.5 " wide pier and come out as far as you need then sort a flat roof extending from your existing roof garage.pnggarage.png

this is a terrible drawing my dog did it and viewed from above the orange line your existing brickwork black the existing door green viewed from front 13.5 " wide pier and come out as far as you need then sort a flat roof extending from your existing roof View attachment 74437View attachment 74437

You get an 'A' for effort mate, but I get the idea, thanks.

Perfect roof shape for opening the pop top inside the garage.

If it wasn't a boarded plastered ceiling already ;) The pitch is a loft space, and a very handy one at that.

Yeah only option really is to do a small flat roof extension, you can't easily alter the pitch so it's your only option really.

Also flat roof would match your porch so I think it would work well.

Pretty straightforward as long as the council are happy with it. You might be able to do it under building regs.

Last edited:
Another option is to take the roof line back and incorporate a pitched roof, this would give additional loft space and allow the roof line to come forward ...however because it would change the kerb view of the house the planning department may object....still worth a call to the planning department to gauge opinion

1C8FAF61-E0E4-4782-AE06-B44F7AC61E29.jpeg

this is a terrible drawing my dog did it and viewed from above the orange line your existing brickwork black the existing door green viewed from front 13.5 " wide pier and

This was the direction i was going to suggest...i suspect will be the cheapest/least disruptive way, you could incorporate a box gutter in to the add on part to almost make a feature of it...

half arsed photoshopping below (sorry, i appear to have built a pillar over the front of your van!):

1.jpg

Back