Anti Roll Bars F/R questions please

T6 dork

Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
its for my 2013 T5.1 Caravelle which i have just fitted with Bilstien B12 Pro-Kit suspension
im wanting to upgrade the ARB,s any suggestions please ,
has anybody had good or bad experiences ?
and quality of any products

Last edited:
Apart from H&R I don't know of any other alternatives, though there must be some.
I have them front and rear, heavy duty, fitted with uprated drop links at the front (Vmaxx) the only issue I have had is the powder coating cracking around the holes where the droplinks bolt through which resulted in a loose fitting and a knock until I tightened them up again.

I went down the H&R route because I got a price deal and you have 2 fixing points for the drop links (stiff, stiffer?), but when looking I was tempted by these: Whiteline T5/T6 ARB's. The only other spec difference was the Whiteline bar is 1mm thicker than the H&R bar so I presume stiffer out of the box using the single drop link mount.

These are a bit like Marmite, I love my H&R hobbies, really tightens up ‘lean’ through twists and turns. The ride quality suffers a little, but the handling improvement makes up for that IMO.

I love the H&R ARB upgrade personally.

What’s your current setup and your reasons for considering adding them?

are the California ARB's the same as the rest?
Very interesting question and I believe the answer is bit of a lucky dip! My Cali had the “lightest” of the Transporter ARBs! A visit to @CRS Performance fixed that! The Cali really should have stronger ARBs given the top-heavy nature of the weight it is carrying! Best thing to do is measure the thickness of your ARB and ask Steve at @CRS Performance

With the California’s you used to be able to specify uprated anti toll bars as a factory option, which I understand you can’t now.

They really struggle with body roll, due to their excess weight and high up. The H&R is a great upgrade for a Cali. It’s one of the more popular upgrades. We are upgrading a set on a Cali next week.

With the right suspension and ARB upgrade you can make a Cali drive like a car.

With the California’s you used to be able to specify uprated anti toll bars as a factory option, which I understand you can’t now.

They really struggle with body roll, due to their excess weight and high up. The H&R is a great upgrade for a Cali. It’s one of the more popular upgrades. We are upgrading a set on a Cali next week.

With the right suspension and ARB upgrade you can make a Cali drive like a car.
Definitely - that’s the route I went within a month of getting my T6 Cali. Interestingly, my T5 Cali was a much less “crashy”. (Both vans were secondhand, btw!) As my wife said: it’s a pity we pay good money to do what should have been done in the factory anyway given it is a California.

its for my 2013 T5.1 Caravelle i have just fitted the Bilstien B12 Pro Kit suspension and i thought upgraded ARB,s would be a better choice for handling..
does anybody know the thickness of the T32 ones and i will check mine too..

For handling I would say go for it. They really improve the handling. Less understeer and body roll, lighten the steering and make the drive a bit more car like. However they do firm it up a bit too.

I like a sporty drive and have uprated Arbs on all my vehicles; RS3, T6.1, TCR and Mk2 GTI. I feel they complete the drive.

Definitely - that’s the route I went within a month of getting my T6 Cali. Interestingly, my T5 Cali was a much less “crashy”. (Both vans were second-hand, btw!) As my wife said: it’s a pity we pay good money to do what should have been done in the factory anyway given it is a California.
I cant be sure but a lot more people complaining about crashy ride on newer T 6 T6.1 vans than the T 5 . It looks like VW have had a revision on the shocks , ( the rear shock seems thinner ) any way what ever they did? it isnt good !!

The standard California with the small A R B are almost dangerous to drive ( if you drive like me anyway ) The sagging rear end needs to be corrected because it makes the steering LIGHT and this causes understeer ,,Get the rake correct and the steering feels normal and positive again . this is on all vans not just Cali's any camper conversion will have a rear sag issue and needs correcting . Its a big issue yet camper conversion companies are happy to send vans out like this ?? Although A R B upgrades are great, to fit bigger roll bars alone can have its l issues as the standard shocks simply aren't valved well enough to cope with bumps in a corner .
Also on the subject of A R B caution when fitting after market Coil over kits because many of the big names don't have the A R B bracket in the correct place for lowered stance settings , This doesn't stop the A R B working but because it doesn't sit parallel to the floor its less effective .

IMG_3479.jpg

lots of interesting info there guys

so im wondering if i should get some T32 ones 2nd hand ?
its now 30mm lower with the Pro-kit
i wonder does anyone know the thickness of the T32 ones ?
and my T30 old ones ?
also the H&R ones How thick are they ?

lots of interesting info there guys

so im wondering if i should get some T32 ones 2nd hand ?
its now 30mm lower with the Pro-kit
i wonder does anyone know the thickness of the T32 ones ?
and my T30 old ones ?
also the H&R ones How thick are they ?
The standard T 32 rear bar is 28 mm thick and the H&R upgrade kit is 30 mm . the smallest Standard bar is 22mm so upgrading a 22 mm to a 28 mm is a big improvement . What we do is take (removed) T32 bars have them shot blasted ( stress relieved ) Powder coated and fitted with a new set of Powerflex Bushes and we sell this as a cheap upgrade for clients who don't want to spend £400.00 for the H&R ones . ( I did this in my own van and good result , I don't have any weight in mine at all )
With uprated bars and the Eibach sport springs you ideally need a sport shock to control all this extra spring rate , Stops pogo-ing in corners due to standard shocks not generating sufficient forces to control everything properly !

Back