Another set of battery questions

Gàirnealair

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning everyone, today I may be aiming for title of “the most daft questions in one weekend” so please be gentle.

Background: 18 month old T6.1, converted by Hillside Leisure, I’m second owner. Starter battery questionable - no amount of time on a Ctek MSX-7 will bring charge level above 77% and 12.5V (assuming the small battery level monitor I have is accurate, but I have reason to believe it is).

Buying a new battery is not an issue, do not want to mess around with local VW dealer and warranties, and I trust the local battery place who I’ve been using for many years.
Planning on heading there Monday morning, would like more knowledge before I go:

Daft question #1 - anyone know what the black unit with three orange cables on the top of the battery is? Have not seen something mounted like this on top of a starter battery before.

Daft question #2 - looking at the plain white surround, is this one of the "infamous" Moll batteries?

Daft question #3 - it IS an AGM battery, isn’t it? Can make out absolutely no markings on the sides.

Thank you

Vehicle (starter) battery-001.jpeg

Vehicle (starter) battery-002.jpeg

Vehicle (starter) battery-003.jpeg

Vehicle (starter) battery-004.jpeg

1 - that's a secondary fusebox.

2 - I think that's a Varta battery... The MOL battery issue was resolved a couple of years ago now.

3 - it will be a AGM or EFB+ battery type.... But we'll have to look up the number to check.

Thanks @Dellmassive.

Whether it is the Moll battery or not was purely for my own interest - its brand does not affect the outcome.
I will definitely be replacing with an AGM.

Is the secondary fuesbox a VW thing? Is it common? (in other words, something the battery/tyre business will be familiar with?)

more info here:

1668252743168.png

Cheers! That's great info and I now need to toddle off and learn about secondary fuseboxes!

Back