Another cracked screen.

Update- I don’t recommend Pukka insurance! I’m insured with them through constructaquote, they have a ceiling limit on the amount they pay towards a windscreen of £350. Autowindscreen’s quoted around £890+vat hence I haven’t put it through insurance. Got it done by National Windscreens for £210 all in!

I have never been told about the ceiling limit and not on ANY of my documents, certificate of insurance etc just that there was a £95 excess. Disgusting! So be aware and check if a ceiling limit when you renew your insurance

Update- I don’t recommend Pukka insurance! I’m insured with them through constructaquote, they have a ceiling limit on the amount they pay towards a windscreen of £350. Autowindscreen’s quoted around £890+vat hence I haven’t put it through insurance. Got it done by National Windscreens for £210 all in!

I have never been told about the ceiling limit and not on ANY of my documents, certificate of insurance etc just that there was a £95 excess. Disgusting! So be aware and check if a ceiling limit when you renew your insurance
Yep
Had the same scenario myself....had to pay.
Even got a reply on here from pukka
Asked for some details to be pmd which i did.
Never got a reply !
Hey ho
No renewal from me with them next year

Edit : was that price you paid for a heated one?

Yes, heated and with all the sensors that a Highline has, couldn’t believe I managed to get it for that price including fitting too.

Been told Pukka and another company- excess or access or something like that have ceiling limits on what they’ll pay for a windscreen.

Yes, heated and with all the sensors that a Highline has, couldn’t believe I managed to get it for that price including fitting too.

Been told Pukka and another company- excess or access or something like that have ceiling limits on what they’ll pay for a windscreen.
Blimey , that is a really good price.
I myself had to hand over upwards of £300 through insurance.
Will keep that in mind if it cracks again

I'm with A plan....they too have an upper limit....I'll check tomorrow! I got a renewal quote from Pukka....to be honest, I wasn't impressed with the price or the way my enquiry was handled....but I put it down to teething problems. Renewed with A plan. It's coming up again soon so any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks for yours @Tiab

Right gents.....my wife's mini has a windscreen chip with a small crack right in zone A.....and it's probably just over the ten mm limit. MOT time is looming so I'm wondering if there's any point getting it repaired for the MOT tester just to fail it anyway. I'd rather keep the original screen so I'm keen to repair it if possible.....will a repairer just default to saying....."nah mate, ya need a replacement" or will a good repair sneak past an mot tester? In my mind, it just doesn't cause a visibility issue.....but it's in zone A so I think I know the answer already? I'd rather not flag this up to her insurance company because it's so minor.....but we all know what happens when insurance companies get involved!!! Anyway......any thoughts?
Cheers guys!:thumbsup:

I bought a DIY chip repair kit on Ebay, it worked much better than expected. Worth a try before doing anything else.

I bought a DIY chip repair kit on Ebay, it worked much better than expected. Worth a try before doing anything else.
Hmmmm…..I thought about that.....but then I thought, if it gets failed in the MOT, it'll be hassle sorting it quickly. My wife really needs her car. I suppose I just want an expert to come look at it.....but then, you're flagging it up to your insurance company? Bit of a catch 22 really.

When my Mrs had a similar issue I took it to Autoglass (who were my insurance preferred company) and had a chat with them about the various option - full insurance claim or privately sorted by me.

It turned out that I only had to pay a small excess to get the windscreen replaced and I never heard from the insurance company and my no claims or premium weren't affected. If there was a bigger excess or a risk to no claims/premium I would have had them do it privately - not sure what that costs though?

I had a bullseye right in the middle of the driver’s side on a car I was due to sell a couple of weeks after.

I bought an eBay kit, and managed to make it virtually disappear. The key was to shade the windscreen from light and keep the resin liquid as long as possible, and keep sucking out the bubbles, then pumping resin in, then sucking the bubbles out.

I was well chuffed with the result. I still see the chap I sold the car to, and he’s never even noticed it.

Whatever you do, do it quickly as the laminate between the glass layers will go opaque with exposure to the air. You will get a better repair if you don’t delay.

I’d agree. I put clear tape over my chip for the couple of days while I waited for the repair kit to arrive.

Just had to have the screen replaced in the wife’s mini.. cracked so beyond repair. It was replaced with a pilkington screen, which the guy said was exactly the same as the mini original, which is also made by pilkington, but without the ‘mini’ stamp alongside the ‘pilkington glass’ stamp.

Huge stone hit the window on the way back from Devon last week, no apparent damage at the time
came back to the van today 8" crack across the bottom :(
Van is Just over a month old now needs a new screen ..gutted
Anyone had any luck with insurance companies fitting a OEM window and not some auto windscreen poop.?

Who's had the most new screens fitted ...go !

Huge stone hit the window on the way back from Devon last week, no apparent damage at the time
Anyone had any luck with insurance companies fitting a OEM window and not some auto windscreen poop.?

I'm on my 3rd. But all is in that thread @Ed Webb has listed

Welcome to the Cracked Club, its free membership to join;)

Back