Andy of Sat-Navs-UK

Rudut

I started having typical issues with the Infotainment touch screen, basically not responding to touch, worse on the right-hand side. A bit of searching the forum and Google I decided the best option was to get the screen replaced. Found Andy from Huddersfield 07788 988178, also on eBay as sat-navs-uk. So a quick phonecall to check him out and what a sound guy. Knew his stuff, talked through the whole process including removal of the unit. Removed and posted on Sunday, repaired, returned and back in the van the following Monday and that includes two postal strikes. Unit looked and worked perfectly on return and unlocked VW's app connect and updated my maps all for a reasonable price. Better than replacing the unit anyway. So I can highly recommend Andy if you start getting touch screen issues.

Hi I’m having the same problem and I’m not far from Huddersfield. How much did this repair cost you ?

Hi I’m having the same problem and I’m not far from Huddersfield. How much did this repair cost you ?
No worries, unfortunately I've drunk a lot and slept a lot since then, but the cost varied depending on what you wanted, screen, software update, unlock carplay, add traffic cameras etc etc. But the screen itself was around £200 if I remember correctly.

No worries, unfortunately I've drunk a lot and slept a lot since then, but the cost varied depending on what you wanted, screen, software update, unlock carplay, add traffic cameras etc etc. But the screen itself was around £200 if I remember correctly.
That’s great thanks for the info.

There is a thread on the VW California forum where someone has found out how to obtain the parts and repair these yourself. The new screen costs about £50.
I’ve seen that thread and it looks like it’s a working answer. However I’m extremely cack handed and often break stuff I try to fix so I’d rather trust someone who knows what thy are doing. The price of £200 seems quite reasonable compared to some other companies recommended in the California forum. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Before I knew about the DIY repair I had Ingleby Electronics repair mine. However had I known about the DIY method I would have had a go having been into such things when I was at work.
Ingleby Electronics also supplied me with a new larger SD card for the satnav updates.

There is a thread on the VW California forum where someone has found out how to obtain the parts and repair these yourself. The new screen costs about £50.
There is also one here ;)

I had this problem on my California.
Since i didn't find much detail online on how to fix the touchscreen, i made some video notes here:
Like all things, It's not that complicated once you know how.

The touch sensor costs about €15 shipped from China in about a month.
TDO-WVGA0633F00039 or TDO-WVGA0633F00045. (They are both the same part i believe.)

I thought i was going to have to try and un-stick the broken touch sensor from the LCD screen. They are glued together.
The thing that made the job much easier than i thought it was going to be is finding out how thin the touch sensor is.
But when the new sensor arrived, it was only about ~1mm thick so i just placed it over the top of the broken one without removing the old one.
The main head unit case is forgiving enough to take up the extra thickness.

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: mmi
I’ve seen that thread and it looks like it’s a working answer. However I’m extremely cack handed and often break stuff I try to fix so I’d rather trust someone who knows what thy are doing. The price of £200 seems quite reasonable compared to some other companies recommended in the California forum. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Yup I agree, the risk of messing up an expensive head unit wasn't worth it for me, so got somebody proficient to sort it :)

Got the same problem on mine been like that since going into VW for service warranty check, texting Andy now as there’s no bloody way I’m going back to VW main dealers robbing bastards!!!!!

Got the same problem on mine been like that since going into VW for service warranty check, texting Andy now as there’s no bloody way I’m going back to VW main dealers robbing bastards!!!!!
Don't blame you, main dealers are ..... Not good!!! Hope you got it sorted

Saw a post on how to get screen fixed, sent it to Andy all fixed and up graded for £350 first class repair :)

Had the same issue on my Caddy Van. Screen completely failed over time. VW not wanting to no, they were only interested in selling a complete new head unit. VW NO these are failing all the time and are never going to do any thing about them. I found Andy on here and he also lists on ebay as sat-navs-uk. cannot rate him highly enough, great communications and very knowledge. New screen fitted and unit upgraded. Top service.

I had the same problem with my head unit. I am removed the unit and sent it away, as well as fixing the screen, the sat nav was updated and the voice command was enabled, it took less than a week. If you are not good with this type of repair I can recommend Andrew Wardman 07788 988178. He did a great job.

I started having typical issues with the Infotainment touch screen, basically not responding to touch, worse on the right-hand side. A bit of searching the forum and Google I decided the best option was to get the screen replaced. Found Andy from Huddersfield 07788 988178, also on eBay as sat-navs-uk. So a quick phonecall to check him out and what a sound guy. Knew his stuff, talked through the whole process including removal of the unit. Removed and posted on Sunday, repaired, returned and back in the van the following Monday and that includes two postal strikes. Unit looked and worked perfectly on return and unlocked VW's app connect and updated my maps all for a reasonable price. Better than replacing the unit anyway. So I can highly recommend Andy if you start getting touch screen issues.
How difficult is it to remove? Can you point me to any instructions as no clue..

I can across this thread after having issues with the touchscreen in my T6 having blank spots. I got I touch with Andy who was brilliant, I highly recommend.

“Robbing bastards”???? They’d take that as a compliment!

Back