Alternator replacement T5.1

Adrian jones

Does anybody have a procedure for replacing the alternator on a VW T5,1. I have seen a video of pulling it out through the bottom but this is not really feasible. I have also seen a video with full bumper and radiator removal (Radiator in service positive) which looks a of work to replace an alternator. I am sure somebody has detailed this somewhere but not sure where?? Thx

Does anybody have a procedure for replacing the alternator on a VW T5,1. I have seen a video of pulling it out through the bottom but this is not really feasible. I have also seen a video with full bumper and radiator removal (Radiator in service positive) which looks a of work to replace an alternator. I am sure somebody has detailed this somewhere but not sure where?? Thx
Hi there, just seen your post and wondering if anyone replied to you, because I'm in the same position now and wondering if it is a diy job or not? Thanks for reading.

Hi there, just seen your post and wondering if anyone replied to you, because I'm in the same position now and wondering if it is a diy job or not? Thanks for reading.
answered your other post with this question.

Nobody replied so i just went ahead. I have seen videos where people take it out through the bottom but I definitely could not do this, so pulled entire front forward onto service positions ( you will need to make service pins or buy off eBay) then job is quite easy. I also had water leak from thermostat housing so killed two birds with one stone. It is a weekend job!!! Sorry didn’t take any pictures

Reactions: Loz
Nobody replied so i just went ahead. I have seen videos where people take it out through the bottom but I definitely could not do this, so pulled entire front forward onto service positions ( you will need to make service pins or buy off eBay) then job is quite easy. I also had water leak from thermostat housing so killed two birds with one stone. It is a weekend job!!! Sorry didn’t take any pictures
My alternator has just gone down yesterday. My mechanic said the easiest way to remove it is by doing as you’ve done. Front bumper off and pull rad , intercooler forward.
I’m just contemplating doing the job myself as I got recovered and my vans now on my drive. I didn’t have a choice really as I got home 11 Saturday night so no garages open. Can you confirm this is how you did the changeover. Also what to watch out for.

I done today from the bottom together with air conditioner and takes me all day to take off and put back on together. If you need more info i can help

I done today from the bottom together with air conditioner and takes me all day to take off and put back on together. If you need more info i can help
Hi I did it a few weeks back. I did it from the bottom. Power steering pump loosened off and pushed over as good as you can , and bottom middle engine mount removed. There was one really tricky bolt on the mount which you can’t see. With these removed it was fiddly to remove and refit the alternator in the gap you have. I think if i did it again it would be quicker as I know what todo. It still took me 6hours to complete. A YouTube video I found said it takes 2hrs to complete. Defo not for me.

Back