[Resolved] 2016 T6 Alternator/Charging Issues

Victor500

VIP Member
Hi all, I’m hoping for a bit of advice regarding some issues I’m having with my van.

My battery light is on, my battery isn’t charging, and I’m struggling to figure out if it’s an alternator, battery control module or wiring issue.

I’ve scanned the van and I’m getting a 02252 code, although I will admit I’ve been seen this code intermittently in the past but It’s never seemed to cause an issue and certainly hasn’t caused the battery light to come on or to have low voltage.

I’ve checked the yellow and green linbus wire that runs from the battery control module to the alternator, and it doesn’t seem to have continuity. Having seen a few threads here with similar issues, the advice is to bridge the alternator directly to the BCM - but when I do this it doesn’t make a difference, the voltage across the battery stays at around 11.5v.

Not sure what the next steps are, so any advice would be gladly appreciated. I’m wondering if it’s possible that the continuity/linbus issue is and old one, and that the alternator has now broken meaning I’ve actually got two problems to fix? Does the alternator kick in automatically at a certain voltage even if the BCM/limbus isn’t connected?

Cheers guys!

John

checked the yellow and green linbus wire that runs from the battery control module to the alternator, and it doesn’t seem to have continuity.
I was going to suggest this thread, but I think you’ve already tried what @Cjscos tried:

So the LIN bus data link for the alternator....

Where did you test it from and too?

Battery sensor, engine ECU, van ECU BCM?

So the LIN bus data link for the alternator....

Where did you test it from and too?

Battery sensor, engine ECU, van ECU BCM?
Hi Dell, I just tested continuity between the yellow/green cable from battery controller to the yellow/green cable on the alternator

How u checked the alti linbus wire ( common for them in to break Usely just were wire comes from conector with engine vibration

Thought I'd update this.

After much fault finding we found the issue.
It was a break in the Linbus wire from battery negative module to the alternator.
The whole wire looked perfect, but after testing continuity every few mm across the wire we eventually found where it had smapped. Right bang in the middle near the sump.
No visual breaks but we bent it and it snapped and powered instantly.
Resoldered and now properly working for the first time in 2 years nearly. Start stop is back and smart charging.

Let's hope its reliable until the summer when it goes.

Thought I'd update this.

It was a break in the Linbus wire from battery negative module to the alternator.
The whole wire looked perfect, but after testing continuity every few mm across the wire we eventually found where it had smapped. Right bang in the middle near the sump.
Resoldered and now properly working for the first time in 2 years nearly. Start stop is back and smart charging.

seems to be a comms issue . .

can you post some pics showing it,

general location etc etc so people know where to look.

Thought I'd update this.

I have had a broken wire like that in a brand new Webasto loom, took me ages to find it as the looms are very tightly cloth wrapped with very sticky adhesive. Couldn't work out where the fault was until I checked continuity across every wire. Just because it is new doesn't mean that it is OK!

Just a thought:

Not all of these wire faults seem to be by the connector. At least in 204 where the oil filter points down I have to push the looms aside a bit when changing oils to avoid them getting dirty and to get the filter cleanly out. If 1+1 is 2 could the bending of the looms cause strain and eventually issues with that wire? It seems strange that there are many sensors and what not but somehow this LIN wire fault is so common.

1706257451693.png

1706257465129.png

Back