Aftermarket Dead Locks

Milarepa

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello all,
New member, picking up first van on 2nd Dec....very excited. Thinking about getting a Ghost immobiliser.
But also thinking off getting aftermarket dead locks fitted. Does anyone know of a good mobile fitter in Essex area.
My van is a 2016 T6 Highline conversion. Barn doors.
Anyone know of problems with such an idea.
Complete newbie here.

Thank you.

I will be using my transporter for a work vehicle as a contractor so will be carrying tools and equipment 24/7.

I currently have a ex bg caddy maxi which came to me with a large external mounted deadlock on the rear twin doors that I lock daily which gives me piece of mind.

Obviously the new van won’t have anything like that from new so it’s got me thinking about getting something installed.

I have seen other vans on the road with locks that are fitted into the doors so all that is exposed is a small lock as attached image.

What are peoples thoughts on these?

Is additional mechanical security required on 6.1s? Or are they already difficult to gain entry to?

Are these locks prone to making the van rust as metal needs to be cut etc?

Any advice very much appreciated!

35FA17FF-0FC3-4CF0-BE4D-AC28A7EE49F7.jpeg

IMO it's the sliding door that needs one of those locks as the normal deadlocks are fine on the front doors. The sliding door has a weakness exploited by thieves when they drill a small hole and pull the cable to release the catch.

Last edited:
My T6 has been broken into. Its very quick and easy when you know how.
I now have deadlocks fitted, and last time, they did not get in due to the extra locks.
They also did about 5k of damage, whilst trying, but got no tools.
I've just had some fitted to a Vivaro, which also got emptied last week.
Locks were £150 each, fitted. The guy did say, if I called direct, they would be £100 each.
Depends if you want your van damaged or emptied of tools.

I think that settles it then! Ha

I will get some fitted as I’d rather a damaged van that can be repaired than a emptied one that would cost me more in time and lost earnings if I had no gear

Here is the hole they drilled in my Vivaro last week. About 5k of tools nicked.

1643382429233.jpeg

The Transit parked oppersite

1643382497422.jpeg

That’s absolutely horrendous mate I really feel for you and hope you recover from it ok.

I think it’s especially dishonourable to do such a think to what is clearly a tradesman’s works vehicle which is needed daily to make a living and deliver to their customers.

Never get between a man and his meal.

As sad as it is, I am getting used to it now.
I`ve been done several times, in all sorts of vans. One was attacked while parked at the front of an Aldi car park, parked next to the entry/exit.
The Vivaro was done in a station car park, loads of cameras etc
No one gives a f*ck. Police not interested, don`t even bother reporting them anymore.
They cut a hole out of my mates Sprinter big enough to crawl through.
So far, I have been lucky enough not to catch them. If I did, I would be serving some time right now !

That’s terrible mate I’m sorry to hear, that I can imagine it been unbelievably disruptive to work, very expensive and not to mention infuriating.

I will definitely get some deadlocks fitted to the new van when it arrives and pray for the best.

Just hope the locks don’t give away that there are tools in there and attract a attack.

Just can’t win!

i had mine done, but didnt want to go down the dead-lock route.

but DEFO went for the side door plate ( as @Loz mentioned). - Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

we had the repair done via the insurance (whole new slider and side repaint one panel either side) and asked them to fit the plate as a small extra.

Them added my own extra internal security to protect the beldon cable and catch release.

1643397851303.png1643397858110.png

Last edited:
As sad as it is, I am getting used to it now.
I`ve been done several times, in all sorts of vans. One was attacked while parked at the front of an Aldi car park, parked next to the entry/exit.
The Vivaro was done in a station car park, loads of cameras etc
No one gives a f*ck. Police not interested, don`t even bother reporting them anymore.
They cut a hole out of my mates Sprinter big enough to crawl through.
So far, I have been lucky enough not to catch them. If I did, I would be serving some time right now !
You’re right - it seems that anything which is insured is no longer seen as a crime priority. After all, the insurance sector is a booming British industry.

One thing that would help is registering your tools on the government Immobilise register. I know you tradies have absolutely loads of power tools, but if you stick them on that website, then there’s a lot more chance of you getting them back.

www.Immobilise.com

i had mine done, but didnt want to go down the dead-lock route.

but DEFO went for the side door plate ( as @Loz mentioned). - Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

we had the repair done via the insurance and asked them to fit the plate as a small extra.

View attachment 143790View attachment 143791
I agree they are a deterrent.
I had them fitted to a Sprinter & an Lt after they were attacked. I've just had them fitted to the Vivaro to cover the damage also.
The Vivaro ones came with an internal plate, which should provide a small amount of additional cover.
Truth is they are very easy to work around, and probably add just a few seconds for someone who knows.

As far as I remember, the one for the side loading door has a bend, which goes over the thumb grip handle.
Its a weak spot.

If someone had one for me to replicate or some dimensions, then yea of course.
Logo can be etched on too!
They come with 4x studded rods welded to the back which drill through the outer door skin.

These have rectangular load spreading back plates. ( Fancy washers) and nyloc nuts which bolt on from the inside. They are measured so they don't interfere with the internal lock mechanism.

The back of the front plate has 3mm neoprene foam... This is to take the play in the curved van panel as the plate is dead straight..... Instructions stay don't over tight en.

As far as I remember, the one for the side loading door has a bend, which goes over the thumb grip handle.
Its a weak spot.
There are two plates available.. one for left one for right of handle.... (Imho only the left side is required after inspecting our van after the break-in(if you have deadlock s))..

But we did add additional internal measures to protect the beldon cable from any external drill & pull attacks.

Back