Aftermarket 3 piece lower grill issues

KT6B

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I bought the gloss black 3 piece lower grills from 2 of the main suppliers, both terrible quality and appear to be made at the same factory.

Other items I’ve bought from them both have been ok so think there’s just a quality control issue wherever these grills are made. Is there a supplier that sells a better product than this or am I expecting too much for an aftermarket product?

This is just a handful of the defects, both sent back :thumbsdown:

CFBCA755-F6C8-4A51-84A5-110126E33FB8.jpeg
58BAE3F9-F041-4B37-9D24-D18E4933CC84.jpeg69A81F7B-A2C6-4DA4-8FF3-DB208F594864.jpeg537C3814-A2F5-4164-BF02-5213E1A304AD.jpegA3E21F5F-21B4-42C0-9EC0-0E6A0851F285.jpegB15039F9-547E-41AB-8032-1C6E8799F98E.jpeg7FE7562B-8391-4C46-B097-8CAF95CC8B35.jpeg

I bought the led ones. Same sort of issues really. The main part was bent but once it was fitted it was fine. The 2 outer pieces don’t clip in properly on the ends on mine which looks a bit crap and overall a few marks etc here and there, so it’s not just the ones you’ve had.

I bought the led ones. Same sort of issues really. The main part was bent but once it was fitted it was fine. The 2 outer pieces don’t clip in properly on the ends on mine which looks a bit crap and overall a few marks etc here and there, so it’s not just the ones you’ve had.
Just being a fussy git then :whistle:

I’m going to buy a spare set and spray mine deep black, was trying to avoid it as I’m pretty bad with a spray can but can’t be any worse than what I’ve been sent.

That’s really disappointing.

I brought a spare set of OEM grills and dropped them off at the local bodyshop to get sprayed gloss black.

I’m due to collect tomorrow and will post some photos as a comparison. They cost more than the aftermarket sets (£300) but hopefully a better fit!

That’s really disappointing.

I brought a spare set of OEM grills and dropped them off at the local bodyshop to get sprayed gloss black.

I’m due to collect tomorrow and will post some photos as a comparison. They cost more than the aftermarket sets (£300) but hopefully a better fit!
Might be worth getting a quote from my local body shop as well to save further disappointment trying to spray myself!! I’ll keep an eye out for your post :thumbsup:

I bought the vanstyle and couldnt fault either the fit or finish of them tbh
Thanks just checked them out, interestingly sell the grills and the clip on trims separately perhaps a better fitting kit? Only one way to find out!

These look fab
Can I ask where you got them done, as I am struggling to find anyone in Cambridgeshire who willing to do mine
I had them done at Anderson Bodyshop (about 15 mins from Huntingdon). Pete is a top bloke and always has 2 or 3 T6s in the workshop from Needingworth campers.

I was genuinely surprised at the quality of the finish. I had expected the textured finish of the plastic to show through but they look completely smooth. No marks or defects either. Really pleased with the work.

I had them done at Anderson Bodyshop (about 15 mins from Huntingdon). Pete is a top bloke and always has 2 or 3 T6s in the workshop from Needingworth campers.

I was genuinely surprised at the quality of the finish. I had expected the textured finish of the plastic to show through but they look completely smooth. No marks or defects either. Really pleased with the work.
Awesome, thank you
I'm literally, 5 minutes from there.

How did you get on removing the various grills?

Cheers

Awesome, thank you
I'm literally, 5 minutes from there.

How did you get on removing the various grills?

Cheers
The 3 piece grills can be removed without removing the bumper but much easier to do with bumper off and less likely to break the clips

Returned 2 sets of these and bought a third from another supplier in a last ditch desperate attempt to avoid spraying, third time lucky right? Paint job was a little better and I started the day a happy chappy with a full set of gloss black goodies ready to remove the bumper and swap out all the bits, that was short lived when it came to fitting the 3 piece grilles :thumbsdown:

They’re all too short so don’t reach the ends and the joints are that far apart you’d think they’re socially distancing, they’re that stretched the clip snapped :laugh:

Expensive lesson learnt, going to have to bite the bullet and spray the originals deep black pearl. Hopefully able to return this set which will help towards paint and I’ll swap out and sell on the gloss black main grille and fog surrounds to soften the blow.

To add a little positivity the main grill from transporter hq is actually very good, shame I couldn’t source the other bits to match so can’t keep it.

If any one has the original 3 piece grill trims lying around that I could put on while spraying mine it would be very much appreciated!

Started well…
B0BFE1BB-5C3C-4862-981B-B2C056D6733B.jpeg
9C28A774-4CF0-42AA-8945-CD6B8F451B63.jpegDFEDAE8B-2EF8-426A-9692-F54FC363DF57.jpeg03684061-9EBD-40B9-8B73-DC40238271A1.jpeg

75907951-778E-4AE6-9E45-1FB076DC960B.jpeg

BFAF887B-91CD-41BD-BC61-ABB5C1174E9C.jpeg

9E02A95D-54DE-4934-BCED-0785C0CC7AB0.jpeg

11CA056C-2F02-4268-9E37-2D20C58648EB.jpeg

6BABB4E2-C4D8-4E03-8CB7-4C24BBC0682F.jpeg

Exactly the same issue with mine being “too short”. But impressed with the quality of the THQ grille.

Which suppliers have you tried then now as i need to buy the 3 piece grill set. Cheers

Iv had exactly the same today!! Did it all with the bumper still on.. Thort I was going mental till I read this! Ha had to drill my own parking sensors! So there not Guna refund that now! Haha.

C911DF90-0F3B-47CB-9BB1-8780A9E8797A.jpeg

963C8C9F-A9BA-4F57-BCBF-238BAA48B3C8.jpeg

I've been agonising over painting my OEM lower grille gloss black versus buying one for months now. I'm in Australia and we literally can't buy them locally so I'd have to get one sent over from the UK. What an expensive waste of time and effort if it were to arrive and be defective! Only thing that turned me off painting is the texture on the OEM grille - I'd much rather the smooth look. But given this discussion, I'm thinking I'll just go with the paint option and hope for the best - does anyone have any photos of painted gloss black lower grilles (the dog bone part)? Thanks folks!

I've been agonising over painting my OEM lower grille gloss black versus buying one for months now. I'm in Australia and we literally can't buy them locally so I'd have to get one sent over from the UK. What an expensive waste of time and effort if it were to arrive and be defective! Only thing that turned me off painting is the texture on the OEM grille - I'd much rather the smooth look. But given this discussion, I'm thinking I'll just go with the paint option and hope for the best - does anyone have any photos of painted gloss black lower grilles (the dog bone part)? Thanks folks!
I had my T6 grills painted by a body shop. I had a similar concern on the texture but once painted, they came back totally smooth. No sign of the original textured finish. The process of sanding, undercoat and layered painting did the job.

I’m really pleased with how they turned out, and the fit is spot-on. Go for it.

Just a good sand I’ll get rid of the texture! Prime and paint! I did it on my old T5.
I wanted the grill DRL so have had to go with buying a set for the T6. Defo a bad fit, but putting up with it for now… :-/

Thanks @Sidxv - I've got a good professional willing to do the painting, but I think I might sand it myself. Hey, excuse my ignorance, but what's DRL mean?

Back