Advice please on a new 6.1 Caravelle Executive order!

Rower1978

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and about to place an order on my first VW Caravelle 6.1. I’d really appreciate any advice on my spec below.

Caravelle Exec 199 TDI SWB DSG (I’m told that the 199 is no longer being made and will be upgraded to the 204ps)

1. Candy White
2. Titanium black interior
3. Navigation System Pro
4. Storage compartment pack
5. Driver Assistance Package Plus
6. Sport Styling package (not overly keen on the black 18” springfield wheels that come with this – is this pack worth it?)
7. Fuel Tank 80L
8. Drive Select & dynamic chassis control
9. Sliding window passenger side
10. Acoustic laminated glass with darkened windows in passenger compartment
11. Direct tyre pressure monitoring system
12. Prep for roof load rack

Many thanks for your time!

Sliding windows are still prone to leak. I've not once felf the need to have them in my 6.

I wouldn't pay for a wheel upgrade, especially if I didn't like them. Go for the no cost wheels and then fit a set that you do like. You'll still have the original wheels that will be perfect for winter tyres.

We have a 6.1 Caravelle Exec arriving next week or so for our rental fleet and I’m just doing a customer order for one.
Happy to talk through spec and quote.
6 - only you can answer this - there is another 18” available
8- what are you plans suspension wise?
10 - you loose heated screen with this option
11 - are you swapping wheels out for something bigger eventually

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and about to place an order on my first VW Caravelle 6.1. I’d really appreciate any advice on my spec below.

Caravelle Exec 199 TDI SWB DSG (I’m told that the 199 is no longer being made and will be upgraded to the 204ps)

1. Candy White
2. Titanium black interior
3. Navigation System Pro
4. Storage compartment pack
5. Driver Assistance Package Plus
6. Sport Styling package (not overly keen on the black 18” springfield wheels that come with this – is this pack worth it?)
7. Fuel Tank 80L
8. Drive Select & dynamic chassis control
9. Sliding window passenger side
10. Acoustic laminated glass with darkened windows in passenger compartment
11. Direct tyre pressure monitoring system
12. Prep for roof load rack

Many thanks for your time!
Hi....Regarding the wheels...I upgraded ( it’s a dealer fit ) and paid almost double the the price after finding out that you can buy else where cheaper for same wheels and save a fortune on wheel/tyre combo...Led lighting if not already chosen good option and tow bar prep if you intend to tow or carry cycles....I wish I’d planned ahead :cry:

Hi sorry to jump on the thread, I ordered a Caravelle Exec beginning of Sept, still no build date but on the Sports Pack (6). I choose that as the brochure mentioned full led rear lights, underbody protection and upgraded alloys. I am not that fussed about the black Springfields as I don’t think they work the best with darker colours but wanted the full rear LEDs. @BognorMotors, do you have any more info on what the sports styling pack actually contains and what it means added to an Exec, if it is just wheels then I will change it.

Interesting the brochure also states front fog with cornering lights and privacy glass, again not sure if these are not already there already with the exec, it is not clear.

Hi....Regarding the wheels...I upgraded ( it’s a dealer fit ) and paid almost double the the price after finding out that you can buy else where cheaper for same wheels and save a fortune on wheel/tyre combo...Led lighting if not already chosen good option and tow bar prep if you intend to tow or carry cycles....I wish I’d planned ahead :cry:
Thanks for your reply. Re tow hitch for cycles, can’t you just buy the rack that doesn’t require the tow hitch?

Interesting the brochure also states front fog with cornering lights and privacy glass, again not sure if these are not already there already with the exec, it is not clear.
My thoughts exactly. Hence why I’m not sure whether to spec or not. The exec already comes with rear led lights and given the wheels IMO don’t look great, it’s an expensive option at £1500+VAT.

Hi sorry to jump on the thread, I ordered a Caravelle Exec beginning of Sept, still no build date but on the Sports Pack (6). I choose that as the brochure mentioned full led rear lights, underbody protection and upgraded alloys. I am not that fussed about the black Springfields as I don’t think they work the best with darker colours but wanted the full rear LEDs. @BognorMotors, do you have any more info on what the sports styling pack actually contains and what it means added to an Exec, if it is just wheels then I will change it.
Hi Janes, the exec already comes with rear leds, so I’m not convinced this pack is worth it?

Thanks for your reply. Re tow hitch for cycles, can’t you just buy the rack that doesn’t require the tow hitch?
Hi ...Tow Bar prep puts in place part of the electrical wiring required when a tow bar is fitted ...Once the tow bar and full electrics are fitted it’s as you say a matter of purchasing a tow bar mount carrier
These two aren’t the same....but it’s easier to have it all fitted at mentioned
Tow bar prep..£264
Tow bar removable & lockable ( full system ) £768

Towbar - preparation (incl. trailer stabilisation)
Price incl. VAT £ 264 1Price incl. VAT £ 264, Total recommended price of the vehicle includes VAT & OTR. On the Road (OTR) includes: First Registration Fee, Delivery to Van Centre, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Number Plates. Pricing subject to change including in the event of change in the applicable VED or VAT rates. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles may change RRPs at any time (this includes where there are government changes in regulation and/or legislation). There may be a delay to any RRP displaying correctly on our materials. Always obtain prices from your chosen Van Centre. From 1 April 2020, the official CO2 emissions values used to calculate Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) charges changed for all passenger carrier registrations in the UK, due to a change in the method of testing. This will affect the recommended 'on the road' price you pay (in most circumstances, prices will increase). Choice of wheels and other options may affect fuel consumption and emissions data (which may affect the amount of VED payable and therefore the ROTR price). Please consult your local Van Centre for details of VED charges and recommended 'on the road' prices applicable to passenger carriers registered after 1 April 2020. Where additional equipment is required by chosen options, this will be at additional cost. ABT eTransporter pricing shown is the total OTR incl. VAT with PIVG 2 deducted. Grant (PIVG) is not applicable to sales in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man. Vehicle eligibility and grant figure correct as at 3.9.2020.,

Towbar - removable & lockable (incl. trailer stabilisation)
Price incl. VAT £ 768 1Price incl. VAT £ 768, Total recommended price of the vehicle includes VAT & OTR. On the Road (OTR) includes: First Registration Fee, Delivery to Van Centre, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Number Plates. Pricing subject to change including in the event of change in the applicable VED or VAT rates. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles may change RRPs at any time (this includes where there are government changes in regulation and/or legislation). There may be a delay to any RRP displaying correctly on our materials. Always obtain prices from your chosen Van Centre. From 1 April 2020, the official CO2 emissions values used to calculate Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) charges changed for all passenger carrier registrations in the UK, due to a change in the method of testing. This will affect the recommended 'on the road' price you pay (in most circumstances, prices will increase). Choice of wheels and other options may affect fuel consumption and emissions data (which may affect the amount of VED payable and therefore the ROTR price). Please consult your local Van Centre for details of VED charges and recommended 'on the road' prices applicable to passenger carriers registered after 1 April 2020. Where additional equipment is required by chosen options, this will be at additional cost. ABT eTransporter pricing shown is the total OTR incl. VAT with PIVG 2 deducted. Grant (PIVG) is not applicable to sales in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man. Vehicle eligibility and grant figure correct as at 3.9.2020.,

Last edited:
Hi ...Tow Bar prep puts in place part of the electrical wiring required when a tow bar is fitted ...Once the tow bar and full electrics are fitted it’s as you say a matter of purchasing a tow bar mount carrier
These two aren’t the same....but it’s easier to have it all fitted at mentioned
Tow bar prep..£264
Tow bar removable & lockable ( full system ) £768

Towbar - preparation (incl. trailer stabilisation)
Price incl. VAT £ 264 1Price incl. VAT £ 264, Total recommended price of the vehicle includes VAT & OTR. On the Road (OTR) includes: First Registration Fee, Delivery to Van Centre, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Number Plates. Pricing subject to change including in the event of change in the applicable VED or VAT rates. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles may change RRPs at any time (this includes where there are government changes in regulation and/or legislation). There may be a delay to any RRP displaying correctly on our materials. Always obtain prices from your chosen Van Centre. From 1 April 2020, the official CO2 emissions values used to calculate Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) charges changed for all passenger carrier registrations in the UK, due to a change in the method of testing. This will affect the recommended 'on the road' price you pay (in most circumstances, prices will increase). Choice of wheels and other options may affect fuel consumption and emissions data (which may affect the amount of VED payable and therefore the ROTR price). Please consult your local Van Centre for details of VED charges and recommended 'on the road' prices applicable to passenger carriers registered after 1 April 2020. Where additional equipment is required by chosen options, this will be at additional cost. ABT eTransporter pricing shown is the total OTR incl. VAT with PIVG 2 deducted. Grant (PIVG) is not applicable to sales in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man. Vehicle eligibility and grant figure correct as at 3.9.2020.,

Towbar - removable & lockable (incl. trailer stabilisation)
Price incl. VAT £ 768 1Price incl. VAT £ 768, Total recommended price of the vehicle includes VAT & OTR. On the Road (OTR) includes: First Registration Fee, Delivery to Van Centre, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Number Plates. Pricing subject to change including in the event of change in the applicable VED or VAT rates. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles may change RRPs at any time (this includes where there are government changes in regulation and/or legislation). There may be a delay to any RRP displaying correctly on our materials. Always obtain prices from your chosen Van Centre. From 1 April 2020, the official CO2 emissions values used to calculate Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) charges changed for all passenger carrier registrations in the UK, due to a change in the method of testing. This will affect the recommended 'on the road' price you pay (in most circumstances, prices will increase). Choice of wheels and other options may affect fuel consumption and emissions data (which may affect the amount of VED payable and therefore the ROTR price). Please consult your local Van Centre for details of VED charges and recommended 'on the road' prices applicable to passenger carriers registered after 1 April 2020. Where additional equipment is required by chosen options, this will be at additional cost. ABT eTransporter pricing shown is the total OTR incl. VAT with PIVG 2 deducted. Grant (PIVG) is not applicable to sales in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man. Vehicle eligibility and grant figure correct as at 3.9.2020.,
Hi, what I meant was there is no need for a tow bar for a cycle rack if you buy the rack that attaches to the rear door - ie no need to fix via tow hitch or am I missing something?

We have a 6.1 Caravelle Exec arriving next week or so for our rental fleet and I’m just doing a customer order for one.
Happy to talk through spec and quote.
6 - only you can answer this - there is another 18” available
8- what are you plans suspension wise?
10 - you loose heated screen with this option
11 - are you swapping wheels out for something bigger eventually
Thanks. You sound like you know your stuff Bognor! So may I ask what you would spec on a new caravelle exec based on my spec list?

Thanks. You sound like you know your stuff Bognor! So may I ask what you would spec on a new caravelle exec based on my spec list?
Best to talk specifications and go through all your needs. I’ve just finished specifying one for a customer with all Boxes ticked so have gone through all options.

Best to talk specifications and go through all your needs. I’ve just finished specifying one for a customer with all Boxes ticked so have gone through all options.
Ok fair enough. Quick one then - is drive select worth it? Appreciate it means you can’t alter suspension height in the future?

Back