Tale of woe: new T6.1 order delay

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I joined this forum last July as I was looking for a T6 and the knowledge I’ve gleaned here has been invaluable. Only problem is that I still don’t own a van..

Cutting a long story short I put a deposit on a new T6.1 on August 14th with a third-party company. The V5 retention side of things didn’t bother me as the saving was a tad under 21%. Sorted…. Or so I thought? Fast forward nearly six months and guess what? Yip, no van, no build date, dim newyddion o’gwbl! (No news at all!). The salesman at the third-party has zero information on the van and having spoken to another customer who is also invested with this company they are unlikely to receive anything anytime soon. It could be several more months and they may even have to re-order. I understand that there are many factors outside of their control but I would actually like a van to arrive so I’ve requested my deposit back and gone off in search of another van.

In the interim second-hand van prices seem to have gone through the roof! I almost purchased an ex-demo van in August but the new van, with the large discount, was a much more attractive prospect. Now, average spec vans are commanding 40K plus. I clearly made the wrong choice last summer but can’t do much about that. So, during the conversation with my local dealer (who was trying to flog me his demo van) I asked for a quote on my ideal spec van which is as follows:

• T30, DSG 150 highline Kombi
  • Fortana red
  • High-beam control
  • LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
  • Rear view camera
  • Power sliding doors, left and right
  • Electronically controlled front air conditioning system and second heating system in passenger compartment
  • Sliding window in front and fixed window in rear in load/passenger compartment on passenger side
  • Sliding window in front and fixed window in rear in load/passenger compartment on driver side
  • Tailgate with window aperture and with power latching
  • 80L fuel tank
  • Heated driver and front passenger seats
  • 2+1 easy entry rear seat.
  • TPMS

The quote I’ve received back has 16.1% discount and is much cheaper than the demo van with a lot more extras. So I’m back to square one and while it’s more than I originally wanted to spend, at least I’m ordering direct with the dealer. I’ll have some information about the progress of the build and it will definitely arrive, even if it is going to take 5 months.

All of this leads me to a few questions about the discover nav unit option. £1338 seems quite high to me for a sat nav… but, I do prefer the look of the larger screen and finish and the dash looks a lot neater.

What are your thoughts on this option?

Has anyone swapped out their headunit in the 6.1?

What are my options for change if I stick with the basic unit?

Also, I am aware that the digital dash (which I do like) can only be retrofitted with the nav unit installed. So if I wanted, further along the line, to add this then I’d need to start with the more expensive unit. This leads me to another question.

Does the digital dash work with after-market head units??

If you’ve read this far, good effort!

Cheers

I joined this forum last July as I was looking for a T6 and the knowledge I’ve gleaned here has been invaluable. Only problem is that I still don’t own a van..

Cutting a long story short I put a deposit on a new T6.1 on August 14th with a third-party company. The V5 retention side of things didn’t bother me as the saving was a tad under 21%. Sorted…. Or so I thought? Fast forward nearly six months and guess what? Yip, no van, no build date, dim newyddion o’gwbl! (No news at all!). The salesman at the third-party has zero information on the van and having spoken to another customer who is also invested with this company they are unlikely to receive anything anytime soon. It could be several more months and they may even have to re-order. I understand that there are many factors outside of their control but I would actually like a van to arrive so I’ve requested my deposit back and gone off in search of another van.

In the interim second-hand van prices seem to have gone through the roof! I almost purchased an ex-demo van in August but the new van, with the large discount, was a much more attractive prospect. Now, average spec vans are commanding 40K plus. I clearly made the wrong choice last summer but can’t do much about that. So, during the conversation with my local dealer (who was trying to flog me his demo van) I asked for a quote on my ideal spec van which is as follows:

• Fortana red
  • High-beam control
  • Rear view camera
  • Electronically controlled front air conditioning system and second heating system in passenger compartment
  • Sliding window in front and fixed window in rear in load/passenger compartment on passenger side
  • Sliding window in front and fixed window in rear in load/passenger compartment on driver side
  • 80L fuel tank
  • TPMS

The quote I’ve received back has 16.1% discount and is much cheaper than the demo van with a lot more extras. So I’m back to square one and while it’s more than I originally wanted to spend, at least I’m ordering direct with the dealer. I’ll have some information about the progress of the build and it will definitely arrive, even if it is going to take 5 months.

All of this leads me to a few questions about the discover nav unit option. £1338 seems quite high to me for a sat nav… but, I do prefer the look of the larger screen and finish and the dash looks a lot neater.

Also, I am aware that the digital dash (which I do like) can only be retrofitted with the nav unit installed. So if I wanted, further along the line, to add this then I’d need to start with the more expensive unit. This leads me to another question.

Cheers
Out of interest what price were you quoted from the dealer for your required spec?

• Fortana red
  • High-beam control
  • Rear view camera
  • 80L fuel tank
  • TPMS

Cheers
This is pretty much my exact order Iv just placed. Think I got close to 18% discount.

Last edited:
This is pretty much my exact order Iv just placed. Think I got close to 18% discount. If I put my order up would some kindly work out my discount please as ain’t got a clue to work the discount Iv actually ended up with

Who did you go with?

Out of interest what price were you quoted from the dealer for your required spec?

£37900

It is. When I asked for my deposit back I thought to just go and get a second hand van but there is no point when new, with dealer, are much cheaper.

Best way is to build your spec van on the vw configurator and compare the cost there to what you have paid.
Just checked my build is £52550 and I’m paying £43800 which does include the £1k options discount and the £1200 deposit contribution

Finally booked with Autoebid. they were several hundred cheaper than my local dealer.

My final spec is:

• Fortana red
  • High-beam control
  • Rear view camera
  • 80L fuel tank
  • TPMS
  • Discover media head-unit (Saves me changing in the future).

I've read the threads here about swivel seats - has anyone with these in a T6.1 have any pros/cons?
I've also read the thread on powered tailgate (lots seem to be interested in retro-fitting) - do you reckon it's worth having?

I can add both swivels and power tailgate for less than £700 after discount (once power latching option is removed)....

Not sure what to do?

Reactions: Ozi
I’ve wonder how people get over the V5 remaining in the name of the selling dealer? I’ve always been asked ‘are you the registered keeper?’ whenever I’ve taken out insurance. If you say no you are declined if you say yes you’ll be stuffed if you make a claim and could be left uninsured.

I assume in the same way that a company leasing a van gets insurance, although I don't know for sure. It has been a popular method of getting a new van as the discounts were much bigger. Quite a few on here have done it that way, perhaps they could explain how they went about it?

Yes it would interesting to know. I was going to recommend Old Oak Sales from whom I bought 204 Highline van with most of the extras you have ordered in September last year, saving a huge amount. It was a year old with 34 miles on the clock. Sadly, they've sold all their stock. Good luck with getting your van anyway.

I did see a comment on here about Old Oak sales but, as you say, the stock had gone by the time I'd had a nose. I had already committed to the lease company by then.

Good to see you’re sorted Violet. Good spec too. As for swivel seat. Pro on factory fit is it about the cheapest way of doing it. Downside if that you lose height adjustment.

Just for clarity, does that mean the seat doesn't go up or down? The misses is shorter than me and we are always moving seats up/down when driving each others cars.

Just for clarity, does that mean the seat doesn't go up or down? The misses is shorter than me and we are always moving seats up/down when driving each others cars.
Exactly so. Pretty sure you still have back and forwards adjustment and lumbar adjustment, but you lose up and down movement.

Had the same considerations as my wife is also shorter (5’5’), but seemed ok for her when we gets drove one. I think the only time it starts to become a challenge is for someone over 6’1/6’2 ish, or very short, from other experiences I’ve read

Back