Adjusting B14 Rear.

Jollyvan

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Does anyone know what one turn of the adjuster represents in height adjustment at the hub. I need to lift the rear by about 20mm to get back to equal arch gap. Also van was set up level before conversion i.e. empty.

I measured the thread pitch on the rear adjuster at 1.25mm - so I reckon that's 16 full turns to go up 20mm.

Seems like a lot?

Thanks Montecha for you reply. The problem is that the spring is 2/3 of the distance from the trailing arm pivot point to the hub so an increase on the platform gives more lift at the hub.
Anyway I have done the job and for anyone who may be interested in the future. Lowering the rings by 10mm (6 turns of the locking rings) produced an increase at the hub of 15mm. 8 turns gave me 25mm.
This is not a precise art and results will depend on how much weight there is in the rear of the van.
Mine is a long wheelbase highline with barn doors and a full camper conversion with gazstor underslung gas tank.
However it now sits level front to back and side to side. -Result!

Thanks Montecha for you reply. The problem is that the spring is 2/3 of the distance from the trailing arm pivot point to the hub so an increase on the platform gives more lift at the hub.
Anyway I have done the job and for anyone who may be interested in the future. Lowering the rings by 10mm (6 turns of the locking rings) produced an increase at the hub of 15mm. 8 turns gave me 25mm.
This is not a precise art and results will depend on how much weight there is in the rear of the van.
Mine is a long wheelbase highline with barn doors and a full camper conversion with gazstor underslung gas tank.
However it now sits level front to back and side to side. -Result!
That's useful info, I need to drop my rears 15mm to level the van.

has anyone removed the adjuster ring completely to get it a bit lower? I've heard of it being done but don't know anyone that's done it and if it impacts the ride quality

Good point hadn’t thought about the lever length. It did seem like a lot of turns compared with the length of the adjuster :oops:

Looks like it’s more like 2.5mm - 3mm per turn on the adjuster!

@Jollyvan , how did you get access to donthe adjustments? Did you have to lower the subframe to remove the shock or did you do it ok without removing anything?

I was lucky that I had access to a ramp and was able to jack the rear of the van and do both sides at once by just undoing the shock absorber bottom bolts.
The problem with doing it one side at a time is that the anti-roll bar does not allow the rear arm to drop down when you undo the shocker bolt. It can be done but you would have to lower the trailing arm with a jack or something. If you can get both sides in the air on stands for example it's a doddle. Good luck.

I have two trolley jacks, I can get both wheels off the floor no worries, I'm just not sure about what I need to loosen or remove in order to make the adjustments

If you jack up the body so that the wheels hang down and remove the wheels. You can remover the bottom shocker bolt on both sides and the trailing arms will drop down far enough to just slide out the springs and adjustable plates. When you re-assemble you will need some method of lifting the hubs up in order to replace the shocker bolts. You can do this with the body jack. (You may need to slacken off the top shocker bolt to allow some movement). It is quite straight forward once you get under there!

Ok cool, that doesn't sound too bad! I'm going to give that a go as I'd love to be able to make adjustments throughout the year and paying for ramp access kills that option.
Thanks for the advice!!

Ok cool, that doesn't sound too bad! I'm going to give that a go as I'd love to be able to make adjustments throughout the year and paying for ramp access kills that option.
Thanks for the advice!!
If you do it could you post some pics if you can please? I'm a total beginner at this and don't actually knowhow to identify the parts mentioned (Im ok with the wheels)

No. Thankfully once I adjusted the front the overall clearance was just what I needed so the rears stayed as they were.

Heres a weird one i cant get my head round. both rear plate assemblies are precisely the same... the springs... i have measured.. are the same height... why is the van approx 10mm lower in the left... i have swapped the assembly round and spring and still its lower that side. Brand new van....

sorry i wasnt so clear and they are both mm perfect setup the same on the height adjustment.i even used digi caliper off a datum point.
dont get why sat slightly on the pish.

It's not uncommon for vehicles not to be completely level across axles. As an example the spare wheel is more to one side on the t6 so that'll make a difference.

Don't worry about it, just tweak the heights until its level, best to measure from centre of wheel to the arch for accuracy. :)

It's not uncommon for vehicles not to be completely level across axles. As an example the spare wheel is more to one side on the t6 so that'll make a difference.

Don't worry about it, just tweak the heights until its level, best to measure from centre of wheel to the arch for accuracy. :)

I would have thought from the top of wheel rim to arch would be more accurate? Its hard to get the exact centre of the wheel?

I would have thought from the top of wheel rim to arch would be more accurate? Its hard to get the exact centre of the wheel?
I normally go from the edge of the centre and then divide it (just the centre diameter) by two, you could always use the edge of the rim and a spirit level to make sure your vertical though, I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other :)

Back