Adaptive Cruise Control - Settings?

A little off topic potentially for which I apologise... Does anyone know if the brake lights are illuminated when you feel the vehicle slowing during acc use? Specifically I mean the "sharper" reductions in speed other than engine braking?
During an overtake early last week the van slowed sharply as I was clearly closer than it liked during the mirror, signal manoevre phase (i was indicating right to perform the overtake) . At the same time a Tesla travelling at roughly a tonne in Lane three decided I wasnt accelerating fast enough so undertook and squeezed through the gap which I was rapidly closing.
Amongst other things... It made me wonder of the van had lit up the brake lights during the lane change making the tesla driver drive in a more twatish way than normal...
Sincere apologies for the sweeping generalisation regarding Tesla drivers... I cover 40k miles a year with my job and see more unsafe driving in Teslas than any other motor.
Yes, if the system slows down, the brake lights come on. I can see the high level brake light reflecting off the bike rack.

That’s odd & not the way mine works. If the traffic comes to a halt, the acc will stop the van & I get a beep & a warning to apply the brake. When I apply the brake the acc cancels. Mine is a DSG, manuals will presumably behave differently. I don’t know what yours is.

Mine does not behave like @Samro either. DSG here.

Thinking about it, I think that I enabled this using Carista, although it could be because of TVS software that @BognorMotors applied.

I have to say that the "Drivability" software that Bognor Motors applied to my van transforms the ACC experience. The rolling back/forwards at slow speed, better gear selection (with lack of clutch slip) were the reasons I had it applied, but when a vehicle overtakes me on a motorway and then pulls in in front of me whilst travelling faster than me, my van saw a lack of gap and slowed! The TVS software sorted that out which was unexpected, but I was pleased as it drove me nuts!
It seems to recognise that a vehicle has pulled in front of me, senses that it is travelling faster and maintains my speed unless the vehicle slows. It is impossible to explain, but transforms ACC in my opinion.

Thinking about it, I think that I enabled this using Carista, although it could be because of TVS software that @BognorMotors applied.

I have to say that the "Drivability" software that Bognor Motors applied to my van transforms the ACC experience. The rolling back/forwards at slow speed, better gear selection (with lack of clutch slip) were the reasons I had it applied, but when a vehicle overtakes me on a motorway and then pulls in in front of me whilst travelling faster than me, my van saw a lack of gap and slowed! The TVS software sorted that out which was unexpected, but I was pleased as it drove me nuts!
It seems to recognise that a vehicle has pulled in front of me, senses that it is travelling faster and maintains my speed unless the vehicle slows. It is impossible to explain, but transforms ACC in my opinion.
i have never noticed the rolling backwards/forwards. Or clutch slip.

However back to ACC. The last paragraph about recognising that the vehicle moving faster and not slowing down is exactly how my ACC works.

i have never noticed the rolling backwards/forwards. Or clutch slip.

However back to ACC. The last paragraph about recognising that the vehicle moving faster and not slowing down is exactly how my ACC works.
The rolling at slow speed thing is only an issue in certain circumstances.
I found that I regularly have to reverse up a short very steep slope, through a narrow gateway. (That is so narrow I have to fold the mirrors.)

I was finding that once I'd passed the gate posts, the van would hold the brake for a little while (without my foot on the brake) and then it would release and let the van rapidly roll forwards. Happened twice and how I managed to stop before the mirrors were wiped out is a blur!

Anyway, re the ACC. Mine definitely brakes if a faster car pulled in front of me within my chosen distance. Does yours not do that?

Edit: just read a bit about TVS....... It seems I am just imagining any change to ACC!
:uh run:

Last edited:
I will try to work out a way to video it. Either export from dash cam or mount a go pro somewhere.
Don't bother recording the video.

I have just checked and there is one bit in the coding of address 13
on MQB radar which prohibits undertaking.
This obviously applies to T6.1 and not T6.

Such a coding setting doesn't exist on T6 radar and therefore over and undertaking is technically allowed by factory configuration while cruising with ACC.

Interesting thing is how VW configures ACC on MQB platform.
By default undertaking is not allowed on T6.1
but for example it is allowed on Tiguan AD1.

Don't bother recording the video.

I have just checked and there is one bit in the coding of address 13
on MQB radar which prohibits undertaking.
This obviously applies to T6.1 and not T6.

Such a setting doesn't exist on T6 radar and therefore over and undertaking is technically allowed by factory configuration while cruising with ACC.

Interesting thing is how VW configures ACC on MQB platform.
By default undertaking is not allowed on T6.1
but for example it is allowed on Tiguan AD1.
Thanks for letting me know. Got a few days off and was thinking about doing the video. saved me the time now.
I did look for a setting on the info system but couldn’t find it.
strange how its allowed on the Tiguan but not T6.1.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks for letting me know. Got a few days off and was thinking about doing the video. saved me the time now.
I did look for a setting on the info system but couldn’t find it.
strange how its allowed on the Tiguan but not T6.1.
You can switch it off :whistle:

Reactions: mmi
I drove home from summer camp today in a manual 6.1 on ACC and it allowed me to undertake a slowby in the middle lane, the van started to slow and didnt want to go past them initially but i just touched the throttle slightly and as soon as i was commited/past the point of no return the ACC applied throttle again just before the point of me getting up to their rear bumper and accelerated all the way through, FWIW i would guesstimate i was 65-68 they were approx 60 mph ?

I drove home from summer camp today in a manual 6.1 on ACC and it allowed me to undertake a slowby in the middle lane, the van started to slow and didnt want to go past them initially but i just touched the throttle slightly and as soon as i was commited/past the point of no return the ACC applied throttle again just before the point of me getting up to their rear bumper and accelerated all the way through, FWIW i would guesstimate i was 65-68 they were approx 60 mph ?
Isn't this a bit contradictory? Without any of your intervention the van slowed and wouldn't have gone past.

It only when you over road the ACC by using the throttle that the van went past?

I know what you mean but i only touched it slightly before i fully caught the vehicle, just pointing out it was possible to get the van to do it without too much intervention

I know what you mean but i only touched it slightly before i fully caught the vehicle, just pointing out it was possible to get the van to do it without too much intervention
Yes, I think mine, a DSG does the same, I'm guessing safety wise it must have to let you override.

Yes mines the same. Just lightly touch the throttle and it overrides it, take your foot off and it resumes.This is quite handy to stop it braking for cars turning off down slip roads etc. The symbol on the dash changes as well.

Just like regular cruise control then. With that you can accelerate with the pedal, then it will resume back down to the set speed when your come off the pedal. Useful when you are overtaking something that's only travelling a fraction slower than you.

Advice please.
When I set the ACC up it works fairly well, can't say I totally trust it, but it works. Comes up behind another vehicle and slows to match the speed. Job done.

My only issue is what you might call the undercut. If I filter to the left to leave at a junction for example, if there is a slower moving vehicle to my right the van will slow down and match its speed. A bit dangerous first time because I wasn't expecting a sudden drop in speed.

My question. Is there a setting that allows the radar to only take into account what is in my lane.

Failing that the system isn't worth turning on.

Stuart.

2021 T6.1 T28 DSG. Cambridge Campervans Conversion.

Hi Stuart, how are you finding the controls on the 6.1?
I have a '72 plate VW Arteon and I'm struggling with all the overly intrusive driver aids. I've not really addressed the problem as yet, admittedly. I'm hoping I can setup a driver profile that will completely switch off lane guidance. As for the auto cruise control, it picks up the 30 zones on slip roads, drops the speed off for no real reason.
Completely over the top and very annoying. Spoils what is otherwise a really great car.
Any of these things sound familiar?

Hi Stuart, how are you finding the controls on the 6.1?
I have a '72 plate VW Arteon and I'm struggling with all the overly intrusive driver aids. I've not really addressed the problem as yet, admittedly. I'm hoping I can setup a driver profile that will completely switch off lane guidance. As for the auto cruise control, it picks up the 30 zones on slip roads, drops the speed off for no real reason.
Completely over the top and very annoying. Spoils what is otherwise a really great car.
Any of these things sound familiar?
Answered on your identical thread here

Back