A year on

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
We've had the van a year and two days, done two big trips in it and numerous shorter stays in the UK.
It replaced a T5.1 180 4motion Cali (2012) that was great but we had a LOT of issues with it; after three years we threw in the towel.

Anyway the T6 was mocked by many as being "the same" - they were very wrong. It may look similar but it's SO much better. Better warranty, much better engine, better interior, especially the dash, better tech and more.

We've had no issues bar a rattly awning - by this time with the T5.1 we'd had a new steering column, rear diff and water gauges.

The fridge is quieter, the heater is better, the lighting is much improved (inside), the seats are comfier and it's a nicer place to sit - IMO the old Cali felt too much like a basic van up front.

The integrated front curtains are MUCH better (the side ones are actually worse though) too and the cupboards are just better made - especially the soft close cutlery drawer.

Add to that the vastly improved mpg and better performance (10.9s to 60 for a camper is really quite nippy!) and we are very pleased indeed - 5,300 happy miles covered, many more to come. :D

Two other things - the roof is actually WATERPROOF this time; the old one was most definitely not and a cover was essential. Pretty poor in such a pricey camper!

And the lights. The bloody, sodding, bloody lights. The subject of SO much discussion - more than anything else in fact.
They are about the same, if not slightly better than the T5.1 lights (H7s). The tail lights make a nice E shape in LEDs, the fogs do the same cornering thing. We don't use ours much at night but when we do, we have been totally fine. I have occasionally used the fogs to enhance the dipped lights on poor visibility nights but main beam is fine.

Last edited:
Two other things - the roof is actually WATERPROOF this time; the old one was most definitely not and a cover was essential. Pretty poor in such a pricey camper!

And the lights. The bloody, sodding, bloody lights. The subject of SO much discussion - more than anything else in fact.
They are about the same, if not slightly better than the T5.1 lights (H7s). The tail lights make a nice E shape in LEDs, the fogs do the same cornering thing. We don't use ours much at night but when we do, we have been totally fine. I have occasionally used the fogs to enhance the dipped lights on poor visibility nights but main beam is fine.
It's because of the Tail lights that we call ours Echo Three.

Well three weeks into our second big trip in the T6 and despite a few niggles, it's been utterly brilliant.
That power is incredibly handy on both country back roads and the hilly main roads, the mpg has been fine, the roof has kept the odd heavy shower out (unlike the T5.1 one!) and it's just seem to work "with" us.
I'm glad I stuck good All Weather tyres on; partly because they are more robust but also much better off road. We've done five nights in total on campsites, all the rest free camping. I'd like a bigger water tank but we've bought a 15L camping one which really helps plus the solar shower is useful for rinsing dishes; in fact I've found "wild washing" much easier this time.

We had one day of rain and it's a PITA; shoes take days to dry, everything gets wet but luckily the rest has been sunny and lovely. I reckon an extended trip somewhere cold or wet (we did do Mull in our last van; it was our first trip!) would be rather testing but with good, warm weather it's a pleasure (isn't everything?!).

We've not used our hookup cable once ; we actually forgot it last year. Shows how useful the van is; a fridge charge lasts over three days and only takes a little charge to top up the battery. Every Brit Cali I see at a site is hooked up; what are they using?!

It tends to be service water that needs grabbing; usually from a nearby service station. Plus the odd top up of fresh fruit and veg but otherwise we don't need a lot. Oh and the mobile satnav (Garmin Nuvi 3598LT I think) is superb; no nav issues at all.

So all in all, a cracking machine.

Well three weeks into our second big trip in the T6 and despite a few niggles, it's been utterly brilliant.
That power is incredibly handy on both country back roads and the hilly main roads, the mpg has been fine, the roof has kept the odd heavy shower out (unlike the T5.1 one!) and it's just seem to work "with" us.
I'm glad I stuck good All Weather tyres on; partly because they are more robust but also much better off road. We've done five nights in total on campsites, all the rest free camping. I'd like a bigger water tank but we've bought a 15L camping one which really helps plus the solar shower is useful for rinsing dishes; in fact I've found "wild washing" much easier this time.

We had one day of rain and it's a PITA; shoes take days to dry, everything gets wet but luckily the rest has been sunny and lovely. I reckon an extended trip somewhere cold or wet (we did do Mull in our last van; it was our first trip!) would be rather testing but with good, warm weather it's a pleasure (isn't everything?!).

We've not used our hookup cable once ; we actually forgot it last year. Shows how useful the van is; a fridge charge lasts over three days and only takes a little charge to top up the battery. Every Brit Cali I see at a site is hooked up; what are they using?!

It tends to be service water that needs grabbing; usually from a nearby service station. Plus the odd top up of fresh fruit and veg but otherwise we don't need a lot. Oh and the mobile satnav (Garmin Nuvi 3598LT I think) is superb; no nav issues at all.

So all in all, a cracking machine.
Glad it's working out for you and you are enjoying the Cali- I'm enjoying following your travels on the other thread.

We have a comparatively large 75l water tank which gets us through 4 or 5 days no problem. That said, on longer trips, I have now taken to also carrying a 10litre container to enable easy topping up without driving away - one thing lacking in my van is a gauge telling me how much water is left and we always seem to run out at the most inopportune moment.

Now we have got the solar panel working it looks like we will be able to keep the fridge running indefinitely without hook-up and/or driving. Not sure how its going to work in the winter but I'm counting on less sunshine means less power required to run the fridge so hoping that things will even out. However, we will still use hook-up where available primarily to run our immersion heater and allow us to use an electric kettle rather than using our gas to boil water - never done the costing but away from summer we always go for hard standing, most of which include electrics in the price.

We've done the cold and wet camping and love it but know what you mean about warm weather and sunshine making everything better - only problem we had was waking up to frozen water on the site one morning after it got down to minus 4.

Keep enjoying!!

We do watch our water gauge like hawks; only in 10L increments but still useful.
I might check out solar panels on our return but I think we manage okay with what we've got; the fridge is referred to as a cool box but it keeps our beer ice cold (on setting 2 of 6!), is incredibly quiet and big enough for us. Seems efficient too.

Back