A little illumination.

Mark.4810

Hello all.
I'm after a little advice please around fuses and electrics. I'm installing a small LED light that I'm going to piggyback off a fuse (I think that's the correct phrase!) I would like this light to come on when the van unlocks, stay on, then go off once I lock the van again. I have diagrams of the fuse box layout thanks to others previous posts on here, but I'm unsure which fuse to piggyback off that would meet these requirements - that's if it's possible at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rather than take try each one individually, lock and unlock the van to see if any work, and risk cocking something important up, I thought I'd seek advice from the professionals on here.
Thanks in anticipation guys...

I’m nowhere near as experienced as most on here but that sounds like you want to tap into the courtesy light supply.

There are posts like this that point to @Dellmassive ’s excellent range of guides.

I am planning on adding some ambient and courtesy lights. This is what I want to add at the moment.

2 courtesy step lights for the front doors.
2 courtesy lights in the front front footwells.
2 ambient lights in the front footwells.
2 ambient lights on the rear of the front 2 seat bases.

I am wondering where the best place is to connect these lights to without causing too large currents in the OEM loom.

I already have a courtesy light wired into the slider step, this one is connected to the front if the 2 ceiling lights that were in the OEM panels (OEM lights now removed.)

I know there is the white connector behind the glove box. Will these cables be ok to tap into for the 4 courtesy lights
As for ambient light is the wires to the switch capable of handling the current for the 4 planned ambient lights? TIA

I’m nowhere near as experienced as most on here but that sounds like you want to tap into the courtesy light supply.

There are posts like this that point to @Dellmassive ’s excellent range of guides.
Thank you CJW, that would never have occurred to me! Would that remain on until the van is locked too?

Mine does. I leave the van, turn round to lock it with the remote, lights go off.

Mine does. I leave the van, turn round to lock it with the remote, lights go off.
IIRC the courtesy lights time out after around 20min even if the van is un-locked. I’m happy to be corrected though.

If you have VCDS the BCM timeout can be increased as far as about 2 hours if needed.

If you have VCDS the BCM timeout can be increased as far as about 2 hours if needed.

I don't unfortunately Roadtripper. I'll find another way around it. I could do with a fuse that's the exact opposite of the one for the alarm, that would be perfect!

Look for folks on here with the VCDS badge, always worth an ask to see if anyone is nearby who may be happy to help for a few beers:

I could do with a fuse that's the exact opposite of the one for the alarm, that would be perfect!
You could pick up a feed from some output of the alarm, maybe to the ultrasonic module & use it to drive a relay to reverse the state. I.e. feed from alarm “armed” output opens the relay, when the alarm is disarmed, the relay drops out & closes a NC contact.

There are also these threads for external lights but the same power logic:

Thanks folks, that's exactly what I'm after. There's a few options there by the looks of it. I searched but didn't get any results like that!

Back