A Comfortable Ride,how?

Houston.....We have a problem !

Over speed tables at approx 15mph and my tyres are hitting the inner wheel arch liner on the front. Evidence of rubbing is very clear on the plastic trim.

Bugger ! Now what ????

What tyres size do you have?
What suspension drop do you have?
What ET off-set and or spacers do you have?

Do you know the actual tyre size 275/35/20? etc
Do you know the wheel ET - offset? I take it there are no spacers fitted. Or could you say they are fully flush with the outer part of the wheel arch etc etc.
Do you know your actual axel loads i.e weigh bridge; even with a T32 it's easy to over load - or could you say you are fully loaded?

In the past I've had to get a heat gun and re-mould the plastic inner wheel arch liners, and it's worked.
I know some people have actually removed theirs; but that would be a very last resort for me

Last edited:
Or go to 18s and get an even more comfortable ride ...............I’ll get my coat

I don't disagree with that. I've moved from banded 19s to banded 18s 3 times now, and I admit that the 18s are a little more comfortable, and the pick up feels faster, but that might just be me.

I totally agree with the pick up. When I went from 20s to 18s on my t5.1 there was a noticeable gain in acceleration although I’m the first to admit that 20s look great .

I’m the first to admit that 20s look great .

Exactly why i've moved from 18s three times, back to my 19s.
I've said this before, but I actually prefer the banded Amarok 18 for the commercial look over my 19" RRs but I end up with an extra half inch gap in my arches and that's all I see with 18s on mine. Lets say it upsets my T6 'feng shui' and leave it at that.

Edit:

How does Feng Shui work?
It's the art of arranging buildings, objects, space and life to achieve harmony and balance. Feng shui works on the assumption that the world is driven by unseen forces. The idea behind it is to "unblock" the way, so the forces may flow freely and create balance in a space (or life).

Yeah, i'd say that was the perfect word for what I was trying to get across :thumbsup:

Does anyone have a wee photo they could share with 17 or 18 inch wheels but with the H&R -40 springs fitted. Like the idea of these Koni dampers but wonder aesthetically what difference the springs make.

Not sure about offset, I know they are wider at the back 8.5 front and 10 rear
20x275x40 profile tyres and NOT going lower.

The only time it has rubbed is going over speed tables, approx 15-20mph. The tyre has rubbed at the outer edge of the wheel arch and not the inner liner section so not possible to heat and bend, remove it ? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
With the standard shocks it was horrendous going over the same bump, crashed into it at 10mph and thought the spoiler would hit as it came back down, shocking ;)

I'll be selling a fool set of standard suspension soon with H&R springs that lower 40mm to buy Eibach -30mm I think ?

20181222-105044.jpg

20190413-131646-resized.jpg

IMG-6896.jpg

Improves the aesthetics whilst still being practical. The more I'm looking at the pictures, the more I'm coming round to the idea. Thinking -40mm is the sensible drop for my use.

@Paynewright . Have you considered 245/50r18. I run these on 18" Amorak alloys. Very little effect on speedo reading and gearing. Will take another 6mm out of your arch gap. It's down to folks personal preference, and beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that, but happen to think this size also suits the proportions of the van.

Houston.....We have a problem !

Over speed tables at approx 15mph and my tyres are hitting the inner wheel arch liner on the front. Evidence of rubbing is very clear on the plastic trim.

Bugger ! Now what ????
Beepee one of my customers who also wanted to run big wheels fitted an adjustable camber bolt in the top bolt hole on the T 32 shocks , this means you can adjust the camber of the wheel ( something not possible normally )., Powerflex UK sell these bolts , you just change the top one and its got a cam on the bolt which allows the wheel alignment to be altered to stop the touching on the outside of the wheel arch lip .

The
Not sure about offset, I know they are wider at the back 8.5 front and 10 rear
20x275x40 profile tyres and NOT going lower.

The only time it has rubbed is going over speed tables, approx 15-20mph. The tyre has rubbed at the outer edge of the wheel arch and not the inner liner section so not possible to heat and bend, remove it ? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
With the standard shocks it was horrendous going over the same bump, crashed into it at 10mph and thought the spoiler would hit as it came back down, shocking ;)

I'll be selling a fool set of standard suspension soon with H&R springs that lower 40mm to buy Eibach -30mm I think ?

View attachment 56848

View attachment 56849

View attachment 56850
@BognorMotors may be well paced to advise; I think 265/40/20 are seen as the optimal tyre size regarding the above

Beepee one of my customers who also wanted to run big wheels fitted an adjustable camber bolt in the top bolt hole on the T 32 shocks , this means you can adjust the camber of the wheel ( something not possible normally )., Powerflex UK sell these bolts , you just change the top one and its got a cam on the bolt which allows the wheel alignment to be altered to stop the touching on the outside of the wheel arch lip .

Steve, I've had a look but not sure which parts are required, can you send me a link to it please ?

Tyre size was my next change I guess but only halfway through if that on tread.

Back