A Comfortable Ride,how?

H&R springs plus Koni actives are the dog’s for me. Really please with the results
The Special active shock is a Patented KONI Product , it is extensively used by the likes of Aston Martin , Lamborghini , McLaren and more recently Fiat and Alfa performance models .

You are welcome . Did you get lost leaving the track today ? , I am sure I saw you going back to wards the track as I was going home ??

Not all lowering springs are the same, that is pretty fair to say.

So although comfort does indeed come from the dampers, it also comes from a good set of springs. Plenty of rock hard springs out there. Eibach UK have developed some 50mm sets for a popular conversion company. They are particularly firm and directly affects the comfort level felt by the occupants.

The Eibach Comfort adjustable springs from Eibach Germany (also TUV approved) in my opinion offer the most comfortable set up from lowering springs only. Also Scruffy has a T32 so the Koni dampers are not compatible.

@CRS Performance do the Koni Active dampers work equally well with the Sportline 30mm Eibach springs? I have these fitted on my T6 and the ride is noticeably worse than my T5 which also had factory dampers but had the 40mm H&R springs. I’d like to go with the Koni product but need to weigh up whether to change the springs too. I definitely feel that the 30mm eibach is firmer than the 40mm H&R.

That is a very odd observation But credible of course . Assuming its not a T 32 which does have a different shock to the rest of the models, the only explanation would be that VW are sourcing the shocks from a different place or they have changed the spec ( mostly to lower cost I assume ) .

I have done a Van with the Eibach springs and the results were terrific , The owner is on here but I cant remember his Forum Name .. Great guy and I am sure he will give you an independent appraisal

Summary:- please don't waste money on more springs it wont help at all The H&R is a tad lower but 10 mm I would think hardly noticeable .

Last edited:
Not all lowering springs are the same, that is pretty fair to say.

So although comfort does indeed come from the dampers, it also comes from a good set of springs. Plenty of rock hard springs out there. Eibach UK have developed some 50mm sets for a popular conversion company. They are particularly firm and directly affects the comfort level felt by the occupants.

The Eibach Comfort adjustable springs from Eibach Germany (also TUV approved) in my opinion offer the most comfortable set up from lowering springs only. Also Scruffy has a T32 so the Koni dampers are not compatible.

Sorry to disagree with the statement "Rock hard" springs ! Unless the spring had been made 3 to 4 times harder than a standard one, which is highly unlikely The hard ride comes from several things 1 , Standard shocks in lowered Car , Worn shocks , Bump stops too hard or too long, and springs that are too low obviously . . A lowering spring is approx. 20 % stiffer than standard and that isn't enough to make it ROCK hard by any stretch of the imagination . Its other things causing the effect as mentioned .
The 50 mm eibach springs that are specially made for a Uk independent builder confirms my comment about too low makes hard ride with standard shocks . ( its also points out that the tail shouldn't wag the dog . Customer demand for extra Low vehicles , overriding common sense , If 50 mm was a good idea Eibach would make it for everyone , Same with E CP and 50 mm H&R its also not an H&R catalogue part as it simply doesn't work well on its own
PS
We have fitted at least 10 sets of KONI shocks to the T32 recently . Works tremendously .

Last edited:
As someone who has to deal with the perils of GDPR on a daily basis, I'd advise you to remove that name quickly until he agrees to let you use it!
andys :- Suspension I understand , everything else I leave to other experts . Many thanks for heads up , removed the name

Back home after a morning at CRS and the koni shocks are loads better than 3k mile old VW ones. Pot holes and bumps in the road are handled much better and it is noticeably a smoother drive. Less dive under braking and front/rear pitching gone. The H&R -40 springs give it the subtle lowered look.

I’ve yet to push it a bit in a corner as I had a box of old springs and shocks in the back but TBH I wasn’t after race car handling.

As said many times before, suspension is a very personal choice and I’m really happy with my new set up.

Thanks Steve.

Regards
Ian

My adjustable Konis are getting installed on Monday 23rd, 1 year and 1 day old with 22,000miles on it. T6 T32 SWB with H&R 40mm lower springs, Leighton van and lightish daily load.

Can't wait to ditch the crash and bump pogo sticks !

Hi folks,
just back from the garage and a 10 mile detour to recycle cardboard boxes.
2 mins out of the garage and can't believe the difference in ride quality already !

No more slow motion bobbing on the springs just a magic carpet of smoothness, I even tried some bumps in our quality roads, totally different from before.

Now, here comes a real test, sort of, speed bumps in the council yard.
Normally when I go over them the rebound throws the van up and there's no compression damping quick enough to slow it on the way down so it just crashes into the bump stops !
NOT ANY MORE IT DOESN'T ! Believable? only if you have KONI suspension on with H&R springs in my case.

Brilliant, still a Kombi with big wheels but my word is it night and day different, I'd say more but I've only had a short run, I'll need to get over my usual routes to update properly.

Koni adjustables, H&R -40mm, T6 T32 factory Kombi built at Leighton Vans with extras, hand tools and spares (gas engineer), Axe 20s and Uniroyal Rainmasters.

Back