92k - Time for an overhaul?

Steve1978

T6 Guru
Morning All, So My late 2015 T6 Euro 5 102PS (remapped to about 170) has just clocked up in to 92k. the vehicle has been a dream and I am looking forward to the next 100k to be honest.

In order to keep her tip top and feeling like she did the day I bought her I am planning on replacing a few things to get her feeling like she did the day I bought her again. So I will be looking for some assistance. :)

First thing that I am looking at is the suspension, steering and braking. over the last 5 years the only thing that's been replaced is the rod end. going over these British pot holes for 91k is bound to have an impact and i can feel a lot of feedback through the steering wheel it feels like a small clunks. I expect that this is to do with old Rubbers around the steering system that has either perished or has become less durable in their old age.

I am a DIY(er) so would love to have a go at replacing some of these parts. Even considering replacing the suspension, nothing fancy probably just brand new VW replacements.

Has anyone got any advice on where to start please, any parts in particular that you would be looking at?

Morning All, So My late 2015 T6 Euro 5 102PS (remapped to about 170) has just clocked up in to 92k. the vehicle has been a dream and I am looking forward to the next 100k to be honest.

In order to keep her tip top and feeling like she did the day I bought her I am planning on replacing a few things to get her feeling like she did the day I bought her again. So I will be looking for some assistance. :)

First thing that I am looking at is the suspension, steering and braking. over the last 5 years the only thing that's been replaced is the rod end. going over these British pot holes for 91k is bound to have an impact and i can feel a lot of feedback through the steering wheel it feels like a small clunks. I expect that this is to do with old Rubbers around the steering system that has either perished or has become less durable in their old age.

I am a DIY(er) so would love to have a go at replacing some of these parts. Even considering replacing the suspension, nothing fancy probably just brand new VW replacements.

Has anyone got any advice on where to start please, any parts in particular that you would be looking at?

Hi Steve, can’t really help with DIY advice but interested in your remap. Did you get it tuned by a garage or is it a plug-in? And did it make much difference to your MPG?

Meyle make good aftermarket components - I have fitted their front heavy duty lower wishbones which have solid bushes unlike the OEM ones which have voids.

Starter for 10, front suspension

Strut top mount
Wishbone
Lower swivel joint
Track rod end
ARB bushes
ARB drop link
Koni special active dampers

Bumpstops

Hi Steve, can’t really help with DIY advice but interested in your remap. Did you get it tuned by a garage or is it a plug-in? And did it make much difference to your MPG?
Yes a local guy who is pretty well known on FB groups did it for me, its an ECU remap, not a plugin. I have done around 40k miles since the remap. Probably the best value for money thing I had done. £200 huge improvement in performance and general running. MPG went from around 36 to 40 on my daily commute. well worth doing

Meyle make good aftermarket components - I have fitted their front heavy duty lower wishbones which have solid bushes unlike the OEM ones which have voids.

Starter for 10, front suspension

Strut top mount
Wishbone
Lower swivel joint
Track rod end
ARB bushes
ARB drop link
Koni special active dampers
Thanks mate. so this is a fairly big list. I know a lot of aftermarket mods can actually ruin the ride comfort in the name of stiffer performance. my van is not a race van and my bum is all about the comfort!

I was thinking Bushes as a starting point and see these made your list so I am on the right track. looking at some of these parts they are actually quite reasonably priced and look to be DIY jobs. Brilliant.

Thanks.

It’ll fail the MOT before it becomes a problem to drive, if it works don’t f*** with it is my advice. 92K is nothing.

It’ll fail the MOT before it becomes a problem to drive, if it works don’t f*** with it is my advice. 92K is nothing.
I hear you and I agree, usually… it’s just feeling tired and old. Squeeky seats and little rattles. I just feel as though starting with the suspension it will feel better to drive again! I know 92k is nothing. Van has cost me nothing other than servicing. I’m sure I will get 250k out of this before it needs anything more than an oil change!

Back