4Motion or not, your advice please!

Why not go for a 150 (cheaper than a 199 / 204) with 4M and LED lights ( agree with everyone LED is a must ) you can always remap the 150, which would be a lot cheaper than upgrading the lights
Just a suggestion

Went for the 150 DSG Highline in the end.

My two pennance worth ! I've owned two LWB 4Motions first one was a manual 140 obviously 6 speed fantastic van nice performance good on fuel . the other 204 DSG very grown up van in all aspects . Both had diff lock both were fab , wouldn't buy another without 4 Motion . Just my opinion ;)

Yeah I've no doubt. Im just not a fan of manuals. Shame there isn't a 150 DSG 4motion, the 199 just too expensive for me.
The 150 DSG will be fine with decent tyres and some mud mats. I'll need to take greater care towing uphill, but that's manageable and not often at all.

The 204 DSG 4M was too expensive for us too, didnt stop us gettiing one though. Things lovely to drive. Better than my Saab Aero. Prob weighs the same.

My first one came through last month and was 265 i was surprised as it was over the 40k bracket when I bought it.. but it started life as a panel van which I think made the difference... but don't quote me..

Last edited:
I have a 2WD, and on reflection should have gone for a 4WD. Almost got stuck last year in a Cornwall public car park where they opened up to their nearby green; the section I had parked in had just slightly muddied over (on a slight incline); and I wanted to adjust my parking so I could drive out 'front first'. I couldn't and so had to pray that the vehicle in the next bay had gone by the time we got back. Thankfully it did. Online for a set of waffle boards.

2WD, haven’t got stuck yet and I’ve been in some pretty boggy fields.
Less weight, less expense, less to go wrong and room for an underslung water tank.
The only vehicle I’ve ever abandoned off road was a CB900F and that was an uphill route.

Hi

if you were to order a new van, would it be a 4 motion or not

Why a 4 motion or why not, is it worth the extra money
Diff lock or not

regards

I ordered 4 motion, we plan on camping and MTB use, and are coming from a 4wd suv.. so I was paranoid about getting stuck somewhere with 2wd…

Unless you intend to use off road unadopted roads on a permanent basis …..id save your money…and buy tyres that are suited to yours needs…even 4 x 4 with road tyres ( low profile ) get stuck….it’s more about the tyres and your capabilities ..not the fact it’s 4wd

We're all different with different needs, for me yes, 4Motion and I'd have the diff lock too, although if conditions are that bad I tend to use a more suitable vehicle instead.
I use my van on farms and in woodland all year round, tyre choice is crucial but if two vans have the same good tyres the 4Motion van will go where the 2WD won't.
Even if I never went off road I'd still spec 4M, I'm not a fan of 200hp all going through the front wheels, especially if towing or with a couple of hundred Kg's in the back.
Each to their own, it's a very subjective thing, some value 4Motion, others don't, nobody's right or wrong IMO.

It's not just about going 'off road'. It's lovely not to have to worry about wheelspin (which can be an issue in the wet when towing a heavy caravan as I do), or torque steer when pressing on (mines a 204), both of which of course are eliminated by having a 4motion. We all have different requirements. I've not had a 2 wheel drive vehicle for 20 years as I live a long way up a remote narrow hilly lane. I just like the reassurance that having drive available to all 4 wheels gives for the variety of different driving that I do, simple as that.

We're all different with different needs, for me yes, 4Motion and I'd have the diff lock too, although if conditions are that bad I tend to use a more suitable vehicle instead.
I use my van on farms and in woodland all year round, tyre choice is crucial but if two vans have the same good tyres the 4Motion van will go where the 2WD won't.
Even if I never went off road I'd still spec 4M, I'm not a fan of 200hp all going through the front wheels, especially if towing or with a couple of hundred Kg's in the back.
Each to their own, it's a very subjective thing, some value 4Motion, others don't, nobody's right or wrong IMO.
Hi @DaveD .. Your right..the issue is if we understand the rationale of the questions being asked we might offer different advice…in your case 4 motion all day long…Its like the issue in London with Chelsea tractors they will never go off road but they will still buy them…..Right tool Right Job :)

Last edited:
Thanks
Can understand we’re you are coming from
What about fuel consumption and resale values does it make much difference
Regards

The 4m seems to be pretty popular here amongst owners, coming from a pick up with rear wheel drive and optional 4wd.
I can’t help to feel a bit gutted the new 6.1 sportline van hasn’t got 4m option, lost its shine tbh.
Concerned it won’t hold the power down and will slide front end.

4motion feels a lot more planted on the road if going for 204 I think the 4motion is worth it
Even if you rarely go of road as others have said never tried it but would think 204 fwd would be quite interesting in the wet

Don't forget that it's not really a 4x4, or even an AWD, system at all.... its just a Haldex with some clever branding!
When I see a gap in the traffic at a roundabout on a wet road it gives me the grip to get away quickly without just spinning the front tyres, unlike some similar 2wd vans I've driven, that's enough for me.

Back