4Motion or not, your advice please!

Ability all year round, hopefully not getting stuck, and resale value..

It all depends on what you do with it and where you want to go.
I have it as I like to go places a 2WD might struggle.
Day to day you won't need it and good tyre choice helps with grip.

Obviously there is a weight penalty and in the case of our Cali, if you have the 4motion you don't get the 3rd rails for additional seats.

It all depends on what you do with it and where you want to go.
I have it as I like to go places a 2WD might struggle.
Day to day you won't need it and good tyre choice helps with grip.

Obviously there is a weight penalty and in the case of our Cali, if you have the 4motion you don't get the 3rd rails for additional seats.
Thanks, I am going to convert to a camper, so makes sense with the 4

If you tow then its an obvious advantage, not getting stuck on camp sites or on jetty slips as you pull the jetski out the water.

I got 4motion because we get a fair amount of snow and ice up here in winter, and it also gets used fields. Be aware of two things:
  1. A 150ps highline manual 4motion will not get under the 2040kg to class as multipurpose and therefore the higher speed limits
  2. You cannot get DSG in a 150ps 4motion, so if you want DSG you have to bump up to the 204ps

My Mrs told me were were having 4motion, just for the safety factor, as she put it would you rather save £2k or risk ending up in a hedge or worse on a wet winter road?
Not sure it is any safer having 4 wheel drive, you can still end up in a skid & off the road with it. Where you gain is better grip on the snow or wet roads though in all the years I had 4x4's I never really used it as it was not needed down south where I live. Not saying it is not worth having but I could not justify spending the extra on it, in the winter I just won't go out in the Cali it will be in my wife's Jimny

Not sure it is any safer having 4 wheel drive, you can still end up in a skid & off the road with it. Where you gain is better grip on the snow or wet roads though in all the years I had 4x4's I never really used it as it was not needed down south where I live. Not saying it is not worth having but I could not justify spending the extra on it, in the winter I just won't go out in the Cali it will be in my wife's Jimny
Yep its doesn't save you from driving stupidly in adverse condition but using ours all year round it is worth having, knowing that all four wheels are working when you need them too to get you up the road safely.

Not getting 4 motion and going for a T30 rather than a T32 are probably my only regrets and things I would change if ordering today.

Our van is a camper and I have been a bit nervous going onto some campsites over winter for fear of getting stuck (came close on our first trip towing my boat trailer but after a lot of wheel spin, etc.., still managed to get off). I did consider 4 motion when I was ordering but the convertor talked me out of it on the basis that it would significantly reduce the capacity of my underslung water tank, etc.. Wish I'd gone with my gut!!

I got 4motion because we get a fair amount of snow and ice up here in winter, and it also gets used fields. Be aware of two things:
  1. A 150ps highline manual 4motion will not get under the 2040kg to class as multipurpose and therefore the higher speed limits
  2. You cannot get DSG in a 150ps 4motion, so if you want DSG you have to bump up to the 204ps
Thanks, going for the 204ps

Not getting 4 motion and going for a T30 rather than a T32 are probably my only regrets and things I would change if ordering today.

Our van is a camper and I have been a bit nervous going onto some campsites over winter for fear of getting stuck (came close on our first trip towing my boat trailer but after a lot of wheel spin, etc.., still managed to get off). I did consider 4 motion when I was ordering but the convertor talked me out of it on the basis that it would significantly reduce the capacity of my underslung water tank, etc.. Wish I'd gone with my gut!!
Thanks been told they both work better lowered?

I have a 4 motion T5 and have ordered a 4 motion T6....I have dogs so muddy walking areas, tow a caravan so potentially tricky in muddy fields and have a horse so winter stables and field runs are much easier...a friend never saw the benefit and loved her 2WD until she had a loaner 4 motion when hers was being repaired, said she'd go for 4 motion after comparing them

Back