4Motion or not, your advice please!

I loved my precious 4M t5.1,

But never used it in anger in mud or snow.

It makes the van a bit heavyer, adds more things to go wrong. More expensive. More servicing cost..

But I would still spec it again.

Unfortunately it was not an option on the sportline I have now..

With 4m I loved the ride. Direct power from the DSG gearbox.

No torque steer or wheel spin...

But I had massive issues with a leaking rear diff. Diff replaced... leaked again.... more cash spent..... blah blah blah.

So even though I miss not having it now.....

I'm happy that any possible issues and expenses realing to 4m will be avoided this time.

Fyi tarmac warrior work van.

I have a 4Motion and have to concede I've never driven a 2WD. If we think back to the old days, vans like the Transit, were usually rear wheel drive, which works because the more weight you put in the back, the more traction you got. Front wheel drive vans can struggle for traction when loaded up and the road is wet or icy. Obviously even in good conditions if you give it too much right foot you can lose traction.
4Motion obviously prevents this except for in exceptional conditions. If you think about it, when Audi introduced the Quattro, people didn't always need all wheel drive, but it gave advantages in certain circumstances. On a slippery road 4Motion is reassuringly good.
Disadvantages? Of course there are! The vehicle is more complicated, more to go wrong, more parts to maintain, the van is heavier, and less economical. It is more expensive to buy in the first place.
If I only drove on dry tarmac I wouldn't want 4Motion. But I don't......

I've got a fairly new 6.1 199 4M Kombi and what the previous two posts say sums up my views perfectly. 4M coupled with a a slight ride height reduction (in my case 45mm on Eibach Comfort 2 Springs) makes for a rapid and very sure footed practical vehicle which I continue to be more impressed with every time I use it :)

Thanks all for your comments. I’m now swaying towards a 4M but just working out if it’s really worth it especially with the factory order 4M’s all being a T32 which would then make wheel and tyre choice limited

I’m now swaying towards a 4M but just working out if it’s really worth it especially with the factory order 4M’s all being a T32 which would then make wheel and tyre choice limited
Can the van not be downplated?

I have the 4Mo T32... i wouldn't let the wheel and tyre choice put you off.. theres plenty of choice... if you're factory specing it then its probably worth adding the diff lock dash button as mentioned on another thread.. not an essential option, but a lot of people searching for a 4M will pay a premium for a vehicle with it... so will help when you come to sell it... :thumbsup:

I have the 4Mo T32... i wouldn't let the wheel and tyre choice put you off.. theres plenty of choice... if you're factory specing it then its probably worth adding the diff lock dash button as mentioned on another thread.. not an essential option, but a lot of people searching for a 4M will pay a premium for a vehicle with it... so will help when you come to sell it... :thumbsup:

Thanks Jason. How do you find the 4motion?

I didn't have a 2WD to compare it to... but yes, really pleased with it...i went 4Mo diff lock for light off road across fields in it and its been great... provides some peace of mind in those situations... you'll get a few mpg less on longer drives, it handles and drives beautifully but I've dropped mine 40mm with Konis fitted, i suppose you should weigh up your needs and if you really want it.. then go for it...

My van is 2WD, but we have a 4Mo Tig. Even tho' we live in the sticks, we've never needed the additional 4WD capabilities, but situations like making a brisk getaway from a slippery junction doesn't need a second thought in the Tig, whereas the van needs a more delicate approach.

Completely understand @dubber36. I’ve managed with a 2wd 180bhp caddy just fine but I’m wondering if the extra power and maybe some more weight in the rear might make the 4motion give it a more planted feel rather than torque steering all over the place

I didn't have a 2WD to compare it to... but yes, really pleased with it...i went 4Mo diff lock for light off road across fields in it and its been great... provides some peace of mind in those situations... you'll get a few mpg less on longer drives, it handles and drives beautifully but I've dropped mine 40mm with Konis fitted, i suppose you should weigh up your needs and if you really want it.. then go for it...

Sounds like you’ve picked the perfect van for your needs. I’m also planning on 40mm Konis. Did you go to crs performance?
I’m also thinking 199bhp (possibly more if its mapped) with some weight in the back might be more suited to 4M rather than torque steering all over the place

Sounds like you’ve picked the perfect van for your needs. I’m also planning on 40mm Konis. Did you go to crs performance?
I’m also thinking 199bhp (possibly more if its mapped) with some weight in the back might be more suited to 4M rather than torque steering all over the place

Yes crs for the 40mm drop and Koni's... it completely transformed the ride.. 255/45/19s also gives it a more planted feel.. the T32 also has the upgraded thicker ARB as standard... so again improved handling and cornering..

The 199 has plenty of power... you may not even feel the need for a re-map... i have the dsg and its so smooth through the 7 speed box its a pleasure to drive... my only complaint and its minor is the lag on acceleration from a standing start which requires a dsg gearbox remap.. its on my list when I'm out of warranty... but its a minor complaint... whatever you decide on keep us posted and put some pictures up when you get the van and start personalising it.. :thumbsup:

Lots of people on a Golf GTI forum use them and say it transforms the car. I understand they are interchangeable between vehicles too, so unlike a remap, you can take it with you.

Loads of Tiguan owners swear by the pedal box. Mine was a 240 so I can’t say I noticed a problem when pulling away but a lot of 150 and 190 owners had them.

This is my 1st deisel. My 1st 4WD. Im more than happy with how it drives and 204bhp seems plenty in a van to me. My bike has 205bhp and thats batsh*t crazy. I've not noticed any lag, the bus seems to jump off the line pretty well to me. I do have to remind myself that its not a car, usually when cornering and braking. Its quite spongey and soft. I think it needs seats with side support.

Last edited:
4 Motion all the way. The difference in handling and grip is unbelievable. It gives you more confidence if you need to go off the road.
With mine being a camper I've had to tackle some pretty daunting wet grassy slopes which it managed with ease. I'm can guarantee my previous 2WD T5's wouldn't have managed it.
Make sure you get the diff-lock option included as well because even 4Mo's can easily get stuck on ice, or if the opposite wheel is ever in the air.

Back