4Motion or not, your advice please!

Don't forget that it's not really a 4x4, or even an AWD, system at all.... its just a Haldex with some clever branding!
Not really fair or accurate. Would you describe the Land Rover Freelander 2 or the first gen Volvo XC90 as 'not really a 4x4 or even an AWD system at all'?

The Freelander had a different system than the 4motion setup. With the VW 4motion system you can never actually achieve 50% distribution to the rear coupling system, so its not really an AWD.

Mines pleasant enough but, as someone alluded to earlier in the thread, an FWD with the correct tyres will munch most AWD / Haldex systems on road tyres.

Plus Haldex servicing costs... naughty!

Am I right in thinking a DSG remap pretty much the eliminates the front wheel spin? I would love to have permanent four-wheel-drive but too expensive for us to spec it and didnt want the extra service costs or repairs

It's worth thinking about whether you want an undermounted water tank / gas tank. I was quite disspointed at the lack of space for undermounted tanks with the rear diff in the way.

Depends what kind of conversion you are looking to do, but worth considering nonetheless!

The Freelander had a different system than the 4motion setup. With the VW 4motion system you can never actually achieve 50% distribution to the rear coupling system, so its not really an AWD.

Mines pleasant enough but, as someone alluded to earlier in the thread, an FWD with the correct tyres will munch most AWD / Haldex systems on road tyres.

Plus Haldex servicing costs... naughty!
Maybe, but it was your post that used the generalisation 'Haldex'. No matter. I agree FWD with correct tyres for the situation will munch most AWD/Haldex on road tyres. But 4motion with correct tyres for the situation will munch everything :)

Last edited:
When I'm in a muddy field with a van load of logs in my 4Motion, which is fitted with the right tyres, the only thing that matters to me is will it get off that field.
The Haldex system can send enough drive to the rear wheels that I often have all 4 wheels slipping slightly while still moving forwards rather than just dragging the rear wheels as a 2WD does.
Horses for courses and for many it's not justified, but the comparison that I often read on this forum between a 2WD with the right tyres and a 4Motion with the wrong tyres is daft - the right tyres also fit 4Motions!

Am I right in thinking a DSG remap pretty much the eliminates the front wheel spin? I would love to have permanent four-wheel-drive but too expensive for us to spec it and didnt want the extra service costs or repairs
Hi ya ….Had the same issue with spin…coupled with suspension that helps to reduce lift on acceleration and the Dsg remap it’s improved the lift/spin on take off…but also tyres can also help..I’m now on Cross climate tyres which are better than the low profile F1 Goodyear tyres…Big plus for me it’s great towing across wet grass…I used to spin all too easily :)

I can’t wait till we can change our tires as wet grass is just a nightmare. Camping on a steep field in East Prawle at the moment we can’t even get on the chocs (parking sideways down the slope). Daren’t go any further down the slope we probably wouldn’t get back up! Proper tires and I don’t think we would have a problem

I can’t wait till we can change our tires as wet grass is just a nightmare. Camping on a steep field in East Prawle at the moment we can’t even get on the chocs (parking sideways down the slope). Daren’t go any further down the slope we probably wouldn’t get back up! Proper tires and I don’t think we would have a problem
I think you can knock the Dsg over to select a low gear in situations to help with traction ( basically out of auto/computer mode) not tried myself…like the old days using manual start off in 2nd and bring the revs up…but as we all agree the right tyres will improve nearly all situations ….Happy sliding ;)

I try not to use accelerator pedal at all and just let the DSG creep forward when it can. It’s when I touch the pedal that the problems starts !

Maybe, but it was your post that used the generalisation 'Haldex'. No matter. I agree FWD with correct tyres for the situation will munch most AWD/Haldex on road tyres. But 4motion with correct tyres for the situation will munch everything :)

V ture. Have you got diff lock installed on yours? Mine came without, admittedly I didn't spec it, but I can't help but feeling my lack of a diff lock button fuels my apprehension... irrationally of course!

V ture. Have you got diff lock installed on yours? Mine came without, admittedly I didn't spec it, but I can't help but feeling my lack of a diff lock button fuels my apprehension... irrationally of course!
No I haven't but I kind of wish I had waited to find one with the diff lock. Too late now

I've used 4Motion to rescue other 4x4's from muddy fields (in my Amarok). It works brilliantly and I'm a 7 year Land Rover Defender owner and 4x4 Rescue member.
If you're getting it on your Transporter I'd go for difflock too.

I have a 4mot DSG 204. We tow/launch/recover a 2tonne RIB outfit. We also go skiing (Covid permitting) to the Alps for a couple of months each year. I have Pirelli Carrier All season tyres. Never been stuck yet, even on some very dodgy alpine passes. I also have diff lock, never had to use it. I’d swap diff lock for a low box any day.

E040ED51-3C4F-4E4A-B187-B36229667533.jpeg

14A4583A-DAE6-4E5A-8B37-65471299C096.jpeg

9D20FD98-33A6-4C33-B3AB-493A24913A38.jpeg

This is one for you 4motion guys and girls, we live in quite a hilly area and get affected by snow quite badly when it comes, so wondering if the addition of 4motion is worth holding out for?

I only had mine about six weeks when we had the first snow of the year. It was just great going along. As with anything heavy. It was stopping it which made you bite the seat!

i do not have the diff lock, but it’s done all that’s asked of it in the four years I have had it and can’t see it being changed anytime soon.

Only negative is your dragging around the extra weight 95% of the time you do not need it!

Definitely worth having, just depends if you are prepared to wait and bear the extra purchase cost and maintenance cost?

With the right tyres it'll certainly help you up the hills, won't do you much good coming back down the other side though!
I've got a 2wd and with decent 4 season tyres it got me up every hill I came across in the snow a few winters back and I'm in Sheffield which isn't known for is flat topography.
None of the above is a reason not to get a 4motion though, if they'd have made the TSI's with 4motion I'd have gone for it.

All good points and we found we our current and previous car we fitted Michelin crossclimates and they were a game changer, for getting up hills etc, I understand its not a full 4WD system but I think could be worth waiting and searching for.

I have 4motion & have in a previous Cali.
As stated suitable tyres make a massive difference. My 2p is this;

If you like to pull out of junctions with a heavy right foot it makes a difference as will ‘push’ from the back rather than spin an outer front tyre.
Also if you have a heavy load or tow it does the same ‘pushing’ from the back.

Is it totally necessary given any winter/towing/load situation erm…no, but nice to have if £ or availability isn’t an issue

Back