3D printing for amateurs on a large scale

Jono

T6 Pro
Afternoon. The main thread is locked, so no more trays for anyone. But, for the record, I've made barely any profit and it will be a relief not to have to watch a machine for 11 hours a day while it prints one, in case the nozzle blocks or the prints unsticks from the bed etc. I was doing it for the good of the cause and there's generally one scrap for every good one, given all that can go wrong whilst printing. I've designed different types on request, and not charged, I've advised on how others can do them and I've even sent my design to people to print them themselves. I'll upload the design to Thingiverse and you can all fill your boots.

Just to endorse what @Jono says, I 3D-printed 232 kombi seat bracket covers last year for forum members.
I charged double what the material cost was for each one + a small gain on postage to cover wrapping, but I bet I made a loss overall due to damaged prints etc, plus the monitoring time, packing time, sending my wife to the Post Office with them all etc etc.
There is also wear and tear on the machine itself.
It too was a relief to call a halt, as I was getting bored with it after a while.
It may look lucrative, but it often isn't.

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, I fully understand where you are coming from. As promised, here's the Thingiverse link Cubby Hole Tray
Anyone can download it for free and print one, if you have a printer that is. Failing that, ask a mate with a printer to do one for you and see if your friendship lasts more than a week! The cost of filament pretty much doubled during lockdown and the postage has gone up recently too. I never intended to make money and whilst there's no doubt I'm not out of pocket, that hasn't taken into consideration the many many hours spent on them. If time is considered it's a money losing operation for sure.

(Don't shoot the messenger.)

Maybe a VIP membership would have helped.

Helped what? I genuinely thought I was being a 'decent' member of the forum. Contributing in an area where I have some hobby experience. As said, barely any profit, negative profit if my time was taken into account for sure. It's not like I'm a business that makes trays for a living and saw this forum as another outlet to boost the bottom line! But, we're all entitled to our opinions so as of today the design is available for free (in fact it was free to anyone who asked anyway). Call it eternal 'payback' and a gift to the forum.

(Don't shoot the messenger.)

Maybe a VIP membership would have helped.
And here in lies the rub. I delete for sale posts by non VIP members almost daily. Whether they are being sold at a loss (why would you do that anyway?) or for profit. It’s still a for sale post by a non VIP so why is this one ok and others not? And VIP membership covers the cost of the forum. It’s only 25p a week :oops:

Point taken, no more sales though as it's just not worth it (money and time). Download and print to your heart's content for free. Genuinely no hard feelings as a site has running costs. Oh, and why would I do something for a loss? For the satisfaction of some of the comments I have received and a feeling of community and pride in being able to offer something that others might not have the skill or resource to do themselves.

Point taken, no more sales though as it's just not worth it (money and time). Download and print to your heart's content for free. Genuinely no hard feelings as a site has running costs. Oh, and why would I do something for a loss? For the satisfaction of some of the comments I have received and a feeling of community and pride in being able to offer something that others might not have the skill or resource to do themselves.
Doing one for someone would I am sure be a pleasure, but when it becomes a chore it is time to stop.

Just glad you were able to do mine, it's used every day in the van (when we can use it :() and one of the most satisfying things I have purchased for the van.

Thanks again @Jono :thumbsup:

@Jono love the idea and thankyou for the free template.
I’ve read a lot of comments from a select few on the forum that Are shouting people down for questions about puddle lights, how much a seat it is worth, and your cubbys.
keep calm and carry on stay safe and thanks again

I am not in the market for a cubby hole tray, but I love that a member can make something that benefits other members. And, it’s great that there can be something to cover costs too.

However, and there’s always a “however”.... to advertise requires at least a VIP membership, even to get shot of spare/unwanted things. That’s only fair.

So, I do see both sides. But, we need to be consistent when applying the rules: take out the membership or don’t advertise items for sale! (And, given my penchant for breaking rules or, at least, sailing close to the wind, that’s saying something!)

Pity, its just what I'm after
You are welcome to download the design and STL file for free and print your own tray. If you know someone with a 3D printer or a commercial company could do it? Although when I last checked they were expensive when ordered online from a 3D printing company.

I have a black tray going spare. I can bring it to the Forum meet at Brook Meadoes, if anyone wants it.

You are welcome to download the design and STL file for free and print your own tray. If you know someone with a 3D printer or a commercial company could do it? Although when I last checked they were expensive when ordered online from a 3D printing company.
I've just relised that your design is for the roof cubby hole, I'm after a tray for lower dash cubby hole

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1621069109780.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621069109780.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 34
Back