Are the bigger brakes the type fitted by VW to the more powerful vans? I assume you get discs , callipers, pads , back plates ? Would you need to replace the calliper mounts?

Are the bigger brakes the type fitted by VW to the more powerful vans? I assume you get discs , callipers, pads , back plates ? Would you need to replace the calliper mounts?

It seems the high horsepower vans get the 340mm front discs with the larger 2 piston slider caliper.

Yes, you'd need the caliper carriers too, possibly flexi hoses.

No oem calipers on the T6 are 4/6 pots, for that you'll have to go aftermarket.

The bigger front brakes you mention are a twin piston slider caliper used with a larger 340mm disc.
Yes forgive me they just look like 4 pots in comparison to the single pot sliders

Just an update , I have got a free rear spoiler for the mishap but no free big brakes I’m afraid hey ho it was worth a try

Just an update,
I have got a free rear spoiler for the mishap but no free big brakes I’m afraid
hey ho it was worth a try

Drive through the showroom window and then say “oops, sorry - thought I had big brakes” before driving off. That’ll tell them what for.

Hiya All,

As I have the 204bhp it has bigger brakes as standard will 16” or 17” alloy fit over the brakes? I only need to fit them for week

cheers
Vinny

You will need 17" at a minimum if aftermarket check offsets as some also need a spacer

been trying to find a set of t32 callipers as apparently they do but they are like rocking horse :poo:
Some on eBay at moment, from Customvanz, 500 all in with delivery, these are the ones taken from their new vans, hope this helps ;)

If you have T32 brakes then there more than sufficient but as for looks you cant beat big ones :)

PB brakes are nice Big brakes and 356mm 6 pot Big Brake Kit for Volkswagen T5/T6 | FMBKT5 | Forge Motorsport 405mm 8 pot Big Brake Kit for Volkswagen T5/T6 | FMBKT5405-8 | Forge Motorsport do nice ones for a transporter i think @BognorMotors can supply big brake kits for direct fit .

There are a few calipers that work on a T6 with the correct adapters if you search around :thumbsup:
t32 does not automatically get the bigger brakes, its a common misconception. my t32 has the normal size.

I too have a T32 150 I would suggest you drive a Twenty year old T4 and then get back in your T6 with the bigger brake option and have a good word with yourself, how much stopping power do ya need Man

I too have a T32 150 I would suggest you drive a Twenty year old T4 and then get back in your T6 with the bigger brake option and have a good word with yourself, how much stopping power do ya need Man
Ha! Harsh but fair...

Very true, I have the larger front brakes on a converted T32 SWB and they are ridiculously powerful, no more stopping power required.

In fairness, I don't actually agree that in all situations, the big T32 brakes are that good.
Yes the brakes are fantastic in normal driving, but from my experience, step down a gear and have a few minutes of fast driving and hard braking, and I can get mine grumbling and juddering to a point that they become useless, and I mean properly useless.
I'm on my 4th set of front discs and even more pads, 2nd set of rear discs and 3rd pads. I've gone from genuine which were around the best for longevity, to budgets that I only put on because that's all they had in stock at the time, then Pagid which were good, but dusted up awfully, and finally to my current Brembo all round, which are probably on par with genuine, but far less dusty pads.

Every single set would brake fade, and go beyond fade to judder when pushed hard for a few minutes. I can pretty much guarantee that I could recreate the problem on demand because I know exactly where the limits are on these brakes.

Is this because I'm a heavy, always loaded T32? Is it because the van is low, handles very well, which encourages you to push it now and again, hard braking, fast cornering.
Maybe its the banded steels that have the poor combination of being very heavy, causing an over gyroscopic effect, and poor air flow to cool the brakes, but I had the same issue on my very light 20" alloys.
Overall the big brakes are brilliant in 90% of normal driving, but that 10% of brain out driving, and they are not sufficient at all.

I'd of upgraded my brakes to an aftermarket setup ages ago, if I thought they'd combat the issues I've always had, but I'm not sure they would unless you started doing major modifications directing air and went insanely expensive setup. I've just learned to live with the T32 brakes and gave up looking for something that you cannot overheat, and concentrated more on what dusted the least, which are the current Brembo's from Eurocarparts.

Back