2030- no petrol or diesel- What would you buy now?

but why can't we 'knuckle down and get the country back on it's feet' by going in a new, more sustainable way. there's plenty of jobs to be had in green energy and a greener economy. we can solve more than one problem at once...

as for who pay's for the pandemic, don't get me started...
and this isn't aimed at you @andys
the amount of corporations (and individuals of said corporations) that don't pay their way is sickening.
Jeff Bezos personal wealth increased $81 billion during the first part of the pandemic (that's 'personal' wealth not Amazon profits btw)
it absolutely baffles me why so many people are ready to say 'we'll be paying for this for generations' when organisations like the Daily mail have never paid corporation tax

anyway, dangling very close to the political precipice so i'm off to eat me tea :p
Yes you're right, that would be good. But I'm talking about the next 2 years, the sort of things you mention can't be implemented in that timescale but the time can be spent planning a future. For the next 2 years though, less navel gazing and more cracking on and getting people back in jobs that are relevant right now.

Blimey, I opened up a right old can of worms here, and nice to see a bit of debate that wasn’t stamped down on by the admins.

Anyway, should I order a new van or not?

People now forget to fill up with petrol / Derv think what motorway services will look like 100s of cars sat on charge for 3 hrs breaking down or running low sat in traffic jams.

people living blocks of flats with limited parking spaces, wires run all over the place as they try and plug in.

Electric planes should be fun ... all them batteries will it get off the ground or make it long haul to America. i don't think electric is the way forward and they are not mentioning Hydrogen yet. we ll need a new exhaust pipe every 6 months with all the water they pump out and climate change will be like the amazon rain forest with all the extra humidity lol

what will the carbon foot print be like making all those batteries there every car needs them replacing 5 yearly.

surely just getting rid of congestion and cycle lanes would clean up air quality even in built up areas.

Surely the way forward with electric vehicles is to have an exchangeable cassette of battery of just several standard configurations. The service station robot changes the battery cassette and you are on your way again.
You don’t own the battery, the car manufacturer provides them on lease as an incentive to buy EV’s.
Every exchange is debited so importantly the initial cost of the EV is lower as you didn’t purchase the battery and the more miles (cassette changes) you do the more you pay. This would also reduce heavy right foot action.
The Gov could also recoup a tax on the battery cassette changes to replace the current fuel duty.
The battery integrity (safety) would also be monitored during the exchange and sub-standard batteries removed for service.
Too easy???
Betamax just sprung to mind.

Absolutely... go for it...

As you've probably seen in the news the government has recently had to abandon its pledge to ban all gas boilers in new build homes by 2023....

They set these pipe dream dates... but reality is there are well over 40 million vehicles on the UK roads... so they would need at least 40 million charging points....

If you do the maths it works out they need to install 10,950+ charging points every day of the week for the next 10 years... to get the infrastructure in place...

So lets be generous and double the length of time to 2040... then its only 5,500 charging points to install everyday for the next 20 years.... get the picture....?

That's not without the issue of how people can charge there cars that live in blocks of flats or little terraced streets where its every man for himself to get a parking space... or the wagons pulling 40 tonnes for hundreds of miles.... then you have all the oil companies that are going to lose millions if not billions of pounds in money because no one wants there oil...? Can't see that happening without a fight....

We will eventually go carbon free... one day... but i don't see it happening in our lifetime... So go for it... :thumbsup:

Having previously worked for a oil & gas exploration company for 25 years I can tell you that the few companies remaining that are involved in geophysical surveys are watching government strategies very closely. They believe the big shift has started to renewables.

All these replies and not a mention yet that there are not enough rare earth metals on the planet to make enough batteries to power the number of ICE vehicles there are now.

All these replies and not a mention yet that there are not enough rare earth metals on the planet to make enough batteries to power the number of ICE vehicles there are now.
Some scientists say the amount of lithium that is recoverable worldwide would not be enough to make enough batteries to power the EV's required to replace all the cars in the USA, never mind the whole world.

Do I order a new T6 now ( for delivery halfway through next year) or do I hold out for a hybrid/electric T7 sometime in the future? A few things going through my mind are the value of my current vehicle, which is a plus, but the resale value of a T6.1 in 5-6 years time? which is.......well, who knows! In 2025-6 will I be able to sell on my old tech T6.1? ( with it's leaking windows) or will I be left with a big lump of metal no one wants anymore?

A new T6 is a massive expense, but that has always been offset by the excellent resale value, but if that resale value is no longer a positive, what do you do? I know none of you have a crystal ball, but your thoughts please.
If you've have the funds then buy one, life is too short for if's and but's and who knows where any of us will be in 5 or 6 years time.

Research shows that one giant container ship can emit almost the same amount of cancer and asthma-causing chemicals as 50m cars.
There are 34.4 million cars in the UK.
Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.

Never mind, let's keep demonising cars, because pollution and carbon emissions from ships crossing the ocean don't get attributed to one country, so we can continue to import products from around the world without impacting our carbon footprint figures. It's not about truth or reality, it's totally about figures and PR.

Blimey, I opened up a right old can of worms here, and nice to see a bit of debate that wasn’t stamped down on by the admins.

definitely, make sure you look after it and maybe when you want to Replace it , hydrogen vehicles may be available

Research shows that one giant container ship can emit almost the same amount of cancer and asthma-causing chemicals as 50m cars.
There are 34.4 million cars in the UK.
Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.

Never mind, let's keep demonising cars, because pollution and carbon emissions from ships crossing the ocean don't get attributed to one country, so we can continue to import products from around the world without impacting our carbon footprint figures. It's not about truth or reality, it's totally about figures and PR.
As an ex seafarer I know there are massive fuel savings to be made by small reductions in water speed, drag being exponential to speed.
Ship operators are wise to this and the routes and speeds are carefully plotted to make use of currents and weather systems. As long as the western consumer demands cheap goods produced in countries with lesser employment rights / laws the market will continue.
IMO have targets for moving from heavy fuel oil (HFO) to marine gas oil (MGO) but as with the automotive industry the reality is a nightmare.
There are ships built with urea systems (as Adlue) to achieve clean ship classification but the operators cheat and don’t use it to save cost.
Human nature and greedy shareholders chase the $ at all stages of the process.

Another consequence of electric cars that doesn’t get talked about.

I am actually going to be snapping up a few classics now, and future classics, so they can be enjoyed beyond 2030

You wont catch me in an electric car

So far I have a MK1 GTI and the RS3, always looking for more - I’d like to add a MK2 GTI 16v to the fold

I would have few in my collection

Landrover series 1
mini cooper works
RS 500 Focus
RS 2000
Jaguar F type, V8 Manual

Another consequence of electric cars that doesn’t get talked about.

It's like when in 2009 the EU ruled that a certain percentage of diesel had to be made up of biodiesel, this would be more environmentally friendly.
Yes, great, until some countries cut down hundreds of thousands of acres of virgin rainforest to grow the crops to produce biodiesel. (This is still happening) Meanwhile food prices rose because crops were sold for fuel instead of food, this directly impacts worst on the world's poorest.
It's all about virtue signalling, nothing more.

I would have few in my collection

Landrover series 1
mini cooper works
RS 500 Focus
RS 2000
Jaguar F type, V8 Manual
I’ve got a 2001 A4 with one good corner unscathed, yours for 10K with free delivery.

There's lots of rare earth metals, ironically they are not all that rare.

A year or so back China, which is the world's largest producer of rare earth metals, decided to keep hold of them and restrict exports. Lots of chicken little headlines, but pretty soon several companies worldwide announced that they had access to deposits which were now economically viable, when they weren't before.

That maybe also the case with lithium. There may be lots about, just not economic to retrieve it. Change the financial formula, it opens up.

Back