Would you buy a t6.1 kombi if you were a travelling sales rep

vallumlj

Hi all I am looking again at buying a 6.1 kombi from somewhere like Leighton vans but just thinking would it be suitable for me. I travel all over the south east mainly on motorways as a sales rep and do about 25k miles per year. I currently lease a car personally but would buy the van through my ltd company.

I have 3 kids so the space would be great but I do also have a Volvo XC90 so don’t really need another big car but I just love the look of the vans and it would be better on tax than a car.

My question is if you were driving a lot of miles would you stick to a car. Also do the vans hold there money as they seem to be over 50k for a nice one.

Thank you

Get the van if 1, you want one or 2, you have an additional use for it such as camping or hauling loads. I have two vehicles for work, the van for when I’m on mucky site visits and camping and then a diesel estate car for long distance motorway work and city driving. I do about 175 miles most days on site visits of which 125 are either motorway or duel carriageway. In my 4motion that’s gets expensive quickly.

Don't buy the Kombi if you are used to a car. The Kombi is far noisier than most cars, which is very tiresome on long journeys .......

Don't buy the Kombi if you are used to a car. The Kombi is far noisier than most cars, which is very tiresome on long journeys .......
I think I'd agree with this. If it is soundproofed, carpeted, etc., it might be ok but not stock. It's comfortable but not refined, very basic interior. Much as I loved mine.

My personal view is that unless you need the carrying weight for your work, or need to lug big stuff around then a T6 or T6.1 will be an expensive way to get round.

You will also been racking up the miles on it which will reduce its value and its not the most fuel efficient of vehicles, marginally better aerodynamics than a house brick!
A smaller more fuel efficient car would be much cheaper to run, if you needed tax relief etc (I don't pretend I know much about this as) a car-van or a caddy etc might suit better?

Personally I would swap in the XC-90 for a Kombi or caravelle, best family vehicle you can get!

I think I'd agree with this. If it is soundproofed, carpeted, etc., it might be ok but not stock. It's comfortable but not refined, very basic interior. Much as I loved mine.
I have a Leighton Vans T6.1 Kombi
The soundproofing and insulation etc do make a big difference to noise levels.
I have the 8.1 inch infotainment, with the digital dash, its got electric side door and boot and self parking etc.
It is pretty comfy over long distances for a van. I use mine for Transporting work stuff and personnel to site , and use the car for day to day use with the family.
My car is a BMW ix3 , and although it is much more comfy to drive, I prefer the van for the high level driving position.
Just be careful if running through your LTD company and you declare it for personal use , that you don't get stung for high levels of BIK.

Thank you for the replies I also looked at the ix3 as thought that would be a good car but was worried about the range what do you get out of it can you get 200miles ?

Thank you for the replies I also looked at the ix3 as thought that would be a good car but was worried about the range what do you get out of it can you get 200miles ?
Yes, quite easily. I have done a couple of 400 ish mile round trips with a charge in the middle. Furthest I have gone before charging is 240 miles, with an indicated 30 miles left in “the tank”.
You just learn to drive differently, start overtakes earlier so you keep the “revs” steady ( there is a gauge on the dash) . I drive around 65 mph on the motorway - going up to 70 loses around 15-20 in my experience. If I was doing long journeys every day then I would buy a Tesla as the charging network is great for them . But if you want a bit of style , then the iX3 is a good choice

Back