2030- no petrol or diesel- What would you buy now?

Well, I’ve been on the phone to a few Merc dealers and VW dealers today. The list prices of equivalent vehicles are pretty much the same, but the Merc dealers must be keen on a sale, as they knocked off a wapping 32% off from what I can figure. I need to do a bit more research ( as I don’t believe the Vito is vat qualifying ) to double check the extras, and test drive one, but food for thought , and most importantly, resale values are currently very good.

Sure I understand the need to reduce co2 emissions BUT the world population growth needs to be debated too.

2 billion in 1920, 8 billion in 2020 ........................ unsustainable

Population numbers are part of it but it is also how those people live. We can't sustain 8 billion have a Western European or US lifestyle and consumption habits that is for sure!

Development in the poorest countries us what is needed - that's what drips the population growth rates to point the start to decline e.g. Japan, Italy etc.

Population numbers are part of it but it is also how those people live. We can't sustain 8 billion have a Western European or US lifestyle and consumption habits that is for sure!

Development in the poorest countries us what is needed - that's what drips the population growth rates to point the start to decline e.g. Japan, Italy etc.
I understand there is a tendency for families that are upwardly mobilize have smaller families.

Nature has enough and decides the population needs thining out, so what do we do? Carry on fighting it. We are not the greater power in all this.

I watch the "Fully Charged" videos on youtube and have to say it's quite heartening at times to see that despite the lack of participation of most consumers, myself included, that alternative ways of generating electrical energy without burning stuff are already in place to the tune of giga watt hours of the stuff.

Slightly off topic but it's almost ironic that with existing ice technology the legacy car makers seem hell bent on producing ever larger Chelsea tractors powered by ever smaller displacement engines that here in Northampton seem to be the vehicle of choice of yummy mummies taking their one child to school or themselves shopping or to the gym.

It just feels like the final days of Rome at times with people demanding ever larger symbols of visible consumption, almost like a race to use as much oil as possible before it runs out?

I watch the "Fully Charged" videos on youtube and have to say it's quite heartening at times to see that despite the lack of participation of most consumers, myself included, that alternative ways of generating electrical energy without burning stuff are already in place to the tune of giga watt hours of the stuff.

Slightly off topic but it's almost ironic that with existing ice technology the legacy car makers seem hell bent on producing ever larger Chelsea tractors powered by ever smaller displacement engines that here in Northampton seem to be the vehicle of choice of yummy mummies taking their one child to school or themselves shopping or to the gym.

It just feels like the final days of Rome at times with people demanding ever larger symbols of visible consumption, almost like a race to use as much oil as possible before it runs out?
Perhaps all the cyclists on here should connect their bikes up to generators and export it via the National Grid.:laugh: Someone is mentioning Romans again you will be waking :sleep: Asterix up. :sleep:.

I doubt that oil will be running out any day soon but I had seen some concerning things years ago. For many years the US has been drilling and the capping wells like they are going out of fashion. I was on a US forum about 20 odd years ago and someone reported this. I think that he was an engineer involved. He said that no one that is those at a lower level had any idea what the sudden interest was. Perhaps waiting for a rainy day or a just in scenario things kicked off in the Middle East. Then more recently we have seen the US taking less interest in the Middle East to the extent where it was each Nation for its self to some extent in protecting shipping going past Iran. One may ask or wonder if planning for the demise in reliance on oil has been planned. Foreign policies or most nations centres around raw materials and fuel, unless they have an abundant supply at home. Those countries that have an abundant supply concentrate on selling it. The costs of supplying oil is huge if defence budgets are brought into the equation.

Also what was strange to me was the sudden getting on board of Nations, the UK in particular on to the Green save the planet boat, When they previously resisted to the nth degree and fought vigorously against calls to adopt greener policies and that things where bad with ecology of the World in general or of particular countries.

while we go a bit off topic Respect for everyone's good doing and trying hard recycling, and the Volunteer's clearing debris from beaches... and anti pollution for clean air
Just DON'T UTube The Worlds Dirtiest Rivers.... think you' ll see where the floating plastic island comes from and from crystal clear water one side of a dam to what then actually goes out to sea from a city after it joins the clean river.. and this has been Dumping into the sea for years reported years ago and no one does a thing about it... there will be no clean air or water
Mankind is the strangest CREATURE EVER ON THE PLANET.... WONDER WHAT WE HAVE LEFT OUR GREAT GREAT GREAT GRAND CHILDREN TO CLEAN UP

These Gimp MPs and the pm are total dreamers. But if they want to give me a electric a.b.t. transporter then who am I to say no. .also we're in that much debt were is the money coming from once they don't have the oil money coming in . There fxxking dreaming . Our cuntry needs to sort out it's priorities . Stop giving money away to other countries might help too. Let's sort out our own cuntry first .sorry it's a wee bit of topic a bit.

These Gimp MPs and the pm are total dreamers. But if they want to give me a electric a.b.t. transporter then who am I to say no. .also we're in that much debt were is the money coming from once they don't have the oil money coming in . There fxxking dreaming . Our cuntry needs to sort out it's priorities . Stop giving money away to other countries might help too. Let's sort out our own cuntry first .sorry it's a wee bit of topic a bit.
We are a country of shopkeeper, that was the dream of a famous PM and that is what we are. What do we have to trade with. this country does not give money away willy nilly it is an aid to trade. It is being cut to give to a star wars project along with cutting peoples pensions for the same.

I do like your Gimp reference to MPs it is quite appropriate and extremely funny. :rofl:

Yeah I do get it about the trade and helping the poorest countries but what about our kids future.there are a lot of people in our country that will be struggling for years to come . Help the UK's most needy the next few months and maybe years will be hard .I hope I,m totally wrong . But we will see.

Yeah I do get it about the trade and helping the poorest countries but what about our kids future.there are a lot of people in our country that will be struggling for years to come . Help the UK's most needy the next few months and maybe years will be hard .I hope I,m totally wrong . But we will see.
Every thing is going to be put and blamed on COVID19 but I firmly believe that leaving the EU and particularly leaving the EU without a decent trade agreement will make the deprivations of COVIDE19 look small beer. That is it though what people were told they wanted and now we have it. Just have to get on with it I suppose. It will be another generation and another government that might look again. Certainly Younger Generations do not want what was signed up for and they will predominate as time passes by. We are at the mercy and grace of the US and others, thank the what ever, they have a new regime coming on line very soon.

Do I order a new T6 now ( for delivery halfway through next year) or do I hold out for a hybrid/electric T7 sometime in the future? A few things going through my mind are the value of my current vehicle, which is a plus, but the resale value of a T6.1 in 5-6 years time? which is.......well, who knows! In 2025-6 will I be able to sell on my old tech T6.1? ( with it's leaking windows) or will I be left with a big lump of metal no one wants anymore?

A new T6 is a massive expense, but that has always been offset by the excellent resale value, but if that resale value is no longer a positive, what do you do? I know none of you have a crystal ball, but your thoughts please.
I hear you! This is EXACTLY where my thoughts have been since reading about the government bringing forward its ban on new petrol and diesel vehicles to 2030. It's really not that far off if, like me, you're considering spending such a large amount of hard earned cash on a van for life which could end up worthless in only 10 years if by that point privately owned diesel vehicles have been taxed off the roads and therefore become undesirable second-hand purchases. As it stands at the moment, VW campers give a half-decent return even after so many years' adventures which kind of makes the expense more justifiable to a lot of us. Even hybrid vehicles only get a stay of execution to 2035.

Recently learning about the Bristol diesel ban - a ban on privately owned diesel vehicles within its central zone from 7am-3pm every day coming into effect as soon as in March next year - has given me a further wobble as it's perfectly valid to expect this to become the norm, and travelling could be become a lot more challenging and less straightforward than we enjoy at the moment.

Will your town or city ban cars and have a low emission zone?

On the other hand, could it be possible to switch our pride and joy from diesel to electric? Would it be affordable or hugely costly? If possible (excuse my ignorance) and not too expensive, it's something to consider. There are soooo many being produced and such a high demand for them still, I can't work it out!? I can't help thinking that while commercial might be spared, domestic use vehicles will get spanked.

Last edited:
Banning diesels from selective parts of cities could make tradespeoples jobs tricky

glad I don’t live near a city

Back