20,000 Mile Turbo Blew Up

danbusson

hi i have had a 2016 trnasporter from new , 2 weeks ago the turbo blew up , oil went through the exhaust , vw have fitted new turbo under warranty , i'm due to collect tomorrow but am concerned that it has damaged the engine , vw have been really good and say they have driven it 150 miles and all is good i'm just concerned that it will have damaged the engine , they say all is good and if any doubt they would change the engine but they have tested so all is ok , what should i be looking for ? or am i over reacting , if a turbo goes it it just the turbo that breaks , thanks for any help

i would be expecting some form of warranty related to the dpf to be honest as it will not be happy with large amounts of oil smoke going through it.

hi thanks rover , they have replaced the dpf , so do seem to be good in what they are doing my worry what other dmaage could have been done, i guess any issues will soon be aparent

Should be 2 years warranty on this work and anything directly related - get confirmation.

No if its done under warranty then it falls under the standard 3 year term and does not extend, if you pay a contribution (however small) then a fresh warranty period starts and generally its two years for VW parts

hi thanks rover , they have replaced the dpf , so do seem to be good in what they are doing my worry what other dmaage could have been done, i guess any issues will soon be aparent

Unlikely to be any other issues. Failed part has been replaced and the only other part that is likely damaged as a consequence has also been replaced.

No if its done under warranty then it falls under the standard 3 year term and does not extend, if you pay a contribution (however small) then a fresh warranty period starts and generally its two years for VW parts

This small contribution is ridiculous- had Cam chain failure on BMW made sure I contributed something - low and behold new turbo ✅

Could there be an issue relating to oil pooling in the catalytic converter?

VW replaced the turbo on my Golf several years ago after it blew. No affect on the engine and they told me to stop driving sensibly on the motorway for hours on end... Put your foot down and use it! :rolleyes:

hi thanks for all the help the dpf has been changed so all should be ok i was just worried that the engine had been starved of oil when the turbo went pop , but the van did cut out and i stopped straight away , so fingers crossed , i'm collecting it today then off to morzine in 2 weeks so will give it a good test before i go out , but by the sounds of it vw have been really good and all should be ok , i'll let you know

Assuming the van started a runaway burning the engine oil..... how long did it over run for and how did you stop it?

I had a something similar. . . . . And VW had to also replace the DPF due to the amount of oil contaminating it after the over run.

Diesel engines are very strong. So if you shut-down quick enough, you should be ok...

VW can do a compression and oil pressure test before you get it back to make sure all is well..

Dont forget the intercooler will need flushing out too.

Reactions: DXX
Not sure how the turbo failed but make sure the intercooler is drained, if you put your foot down and pull a slug of oil into the engine from the intercooler it’ll feel like your at Santa Pod with no accelerator control.

Diesels dont use a throttle body like Petrol engines do, but . . .

most modern diesels have a "throttle plate" that can shut off air to the inlet manifold . . . . . its used when shutting down the engine to starve the air supply and stop the clanky diesel engine switch off.

which is a good thing when i comes to turbo failure as it can prevent a runaway situation (when the engine vacuum sucks in hot oil from the failed turbo bearing and uses it as fuel, even when the diesel injectors are switched off - it will over-rev its-self to catastrophic destruction). . . .

in the old days (before diesel engine throttle plates) the only way to stop a runaway engine was to block off the air intake with a jumper or similar . . . . or try to stall the engine by putting in in 4th gear with the breaks full on and releasing the clutch to try and stall the engine.

heres what happens if you cant shut off the air supply . . . . .

Diesels dont use a throttle body like Petrol engines do, but . . .

most modern diesels have a "throttle plate" that can shut off air to the inlet manifold . . . . . its used when shutting down the engine to starve the air supply and stop the clanky diesel engine switch off.

which is a good thing when i comes to turbo failure as it can prevent a runaway situation (when the engine vacuum sucks in hot oil from the failed turbo bearing and uses it as fuel, even when the diesel injectors are switched off - it will over-rev its-self to catastrophic destruction). . . .

in the old days (before diesel engine throttle plates) the only way to stop a runaway engine was to block off the air intake with a jumper or similar . . . . or try to stall the engine by putting in in 4th gear with the breaks full on and releasing the clutch to try and stall the engine.

heres what happens if you cant shut off the air supply . . . . .

Had to laugh at the subtitles at 1.31:)

hi thanks for all the help the dpf has been changed so all should be ok i was just worried that the engine had been starved of oil when the turbo went pop , but the van did cut out and i stopped straight away , so fingers crossed , i'm collecting it today then off to morzine in 2 weeks so will give it a good test before i go out , but by the sounds of it vw have been really good and all should be ok , i'll let you know

Hi what was the outcome here? I have a 2018 T6 and the turbo blew at 33k, having been replaced by vw and now done 40k the turbo has failed again! This cant be normal? Its away back to them today. How's your t6 now? Has it been ok since the repair.

Hi what was the outcome here? I have a 2018 T6 and the turbo blew at 33k, having been replaced by vw and now done 40k the turbo has failed again! This cant be normal? Its away back to them today. How's your t6 now? Has it been ok since the repair.
Definitely not normal, you don’t mention what failed, bearing, turbine, is a bi-turbo model?
If it’s a bearing failure perhaps there is an issue with lubrication; fuel dilution of engine oil, wrong grade oil, oil filter in by-pass???
Nothing worse than checking maintenance history and seeing the descriptions; blown, f8cked, gone......means absolutely nothing and mechanics are some of the worst for doing this.

How did it fail?

Big bang?... or just lost power?

What was the issue with the previous one?

If its a dried bearing then there may be an issue with the oil circuit.

Partially blocked strainer in the sump?

Cloged oil galleries.?

Water in the oil?

Was it mapped or chipped?? . . Diesel wash?

Did you drive i hard?... or easy?

I have no info really, first time it blew to bits oil out the exhaust. This time the turbo is whining on idle and below 2500rpm then it clears. Bearing i would think, they replaced turbo the first time and put the old oil back in. I complained but they said this is normal if no contamination

Hmm... Im thinking I'd be taking that van back to a different garage....

Can you get a video clip of the engine bay and a few throttle blips?

BLown turbo is a big job.

With possible oil contamination and exhaust contamination.

You would think an oil flush, with new oil and filter would be a min.

May be sump off to check too..

When VW blew up my engine (eu5 180 biturbo)I had a new short block. New turbo. New dpf. Exaust clean, New oils and filters. Etc etc etc. (At their cost)

Back